Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Grades in a couple of Mercury Dimes

Just got 2 grades in a few minutes ago:

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION COUNTRY GRADE
1 21850749 1941-S 10C USA MS67FB
2 21850750 1941 10C USA MS67FB

Sent in raw image

2 upgrades to my set (I had the 41 in 65FB and the 41-S in a 66FB)

Comments

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Super!

I wish I could add 'em to my BD set....image
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Nice job !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Prety damn good to make two seven holdered coins from raw material, great eye!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Two 67 FB Mercs, very very nice.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    WTG! Nice group!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

WTG!

Marc
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

This is going to sound odd, but I've been looking for a nice 67FB 1941-P and 1941-S for almost a year. I would've bought ones already in PCGS holders but I only saw 3 true 67FB's that were even worth bidding on last year...and they went for very strong $$. These "on the surface/apparent" common-type 67FB Merc's are really more challenging then their prices suggest.

There are still some dealers/collectors out there that have nice raw coins (for whatever reason--although I have a hunch as to why??). These nice raw coins aren't always "out for display" either, if you know what I mean. That was my biggest lesson learned when I bought the 1930-S raw -- I simply asked if the dealer had any nice raw Merc's stashed away/not on display and to my surprise he said yes! Since that day I've been "liberated" and I always ask now -- and surprisingly enough there are some raw ones out there image

The caveat is you will really need to know how to grade -- the guys/gals that have nice raw coins stashed away know that they're nice coins and my hunch is that they're probably waiting for the right time to send them in for grading. Meaning, if they sent them in 10 years ago they would've likely graded at least 1 point lower then they would grade today, or if they sent them in now they would likely grade 1 point higher 5 years from now, and so on. So I think they're just hanging on to them to find the best time to send them in...to get the highest grade -- anyway, just speculation here image

And although I buy a number of coins raw, the ones that are nice enough for me to buy raw, I don't exactly buy for pittins. I'll typically agree to pay the dealer a premium on top of the 1 grade lower price than what I think the coin will come in at -- and at this point they trust my grading so it seems to be working. So I don't exactly get them dirt cheap...I paid $95 for the 41 and $130 for the 41-S...just a bit cheaper than buying them already slabbed by PCGS, the opportunity to select a really PQ coin!! and the thrill of making the grade image

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike thats a very nice way to go after the dimes. I can buy them raw if the coin is a early date but so far I have not been able to fork over the bucks for a later date. Maybe the thinking should change. There is nothing like making the coin yourself !!

Ken
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score Ken.

Bubblehead
    WE split,that's my BD.also.image