Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

what to do??

Look at this auction 1981 Yugo set. I got the package last night, and well, to say the least, I am a little disappointed. I can't really blame the seller, as I don't think there was anything deceptive in the listing, but.... when I opened the package, the red cardboard holder is a solid piece, and the coins are glued to it!!!! I just assumed that the coins were placed in cut holes, but nope, GLUED!!!! So, now, my dilemma is... do I just leave the set alone, and add it to my collection as is? or do I attempt to rescue the coins, and if so, how do I remove the glue residue, or has it probably already toned/stained the coins on the back sides?? The main reason I bid on this set was for the 5 para coin, which is listed by Mandic as very rare, (I have never seen one available in over 4 years of watching).
I'm not afraid to die
I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

Comments

• Options
    This coin had tape on it I tried to remove. image

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin had tape on it I tried to remove. image

image >>

Oooooo... toning experiments gone bad. image

Is the Yugo set and "official" set? If that's the way they were issued, I would keep them glued on the holder. If it was a post-mint product, I would remove the coins and use acetone to remove the glue.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Chances are good that the glue has already left permanent changes to the coin surfaces. A lot of glues seem to be acidic and leave behind etched surfaces. I could show you an UNC set of Japanese coins with that problem. image So I would just leave it alone, especially if it was issued that way (which is very possible). Maybe just resell the set on eBay and buy the coins individually later on if you're looking to fill in types.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Just my opinion but I would leave the coins on the card, it makes a reasonable presentation in the sellers photo and I can't imagine them coming away cleanly

Dr J
  • Options
    I have removed glue from some coins, using aceton, WITHOUT damaging of coins at all. But sure it depends on the type of glue, coin metall, grade etc.
    N. N.
  • Options

<< <i>Chances are good that the glue has already left permanent changes to the coin surfaces. A lot of glues seem to be acidic and leave behind etched surfaces. I could show you an UNC set of Japanese coins with that problem. image So I would just leave it alone, especially if it was issued that way (which is very possible). Maybe just resell the set on eBay and buy the coins individually later on if you're looking to fill in types. >>

I agree with Josh - probably best to leave well alone. You can always sell it on and spend the money on individual coins.

Cheers

Andy
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I agree with most here. Glue can sometimes be safely removed, but it's an odds-on gamble. If you really want to, you might try to rescue the coin you desire and if it doesn't "come clean," reglue it (assuming you haven't damaged the card).
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Although it is not an "official" mint set (has writing on the back for a stamp/coin dealer in Dubrovnik-- now part of Croatia), it will go into the album with the other "official" mint sets. And now I will continue my search for the 1981 5 para to fill the hole in my Yugoslav album.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it