Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Little Tired of specific descripts on sportscards

imageimage
I am not going to mention names, but recently I purchased some "RAW" NM/MT cards off ebay. Now, the seller (and sellers) have TONS of feedback
with over 98% approval. Without getting specific because you could go into what I bought and find out the sellers, I will just say, when people
describe cards as NM or NM+ or NM/MT, a person should REASONABLY expect to get cards centered (Which the picture did show they were decently centered),
but should have no MAJOR flaws such as a PAPER WRINKLES! I understand some sellers can't even begin to grade cards, but people with such a
huge amount of feedback should be a little more "HONEST" about what a card has or doesn't have. It is becoming increasingly frustrating to buy cards
(or try to buy them) and pay a fair price for at least HALFWAY decent cards. It really gets irritating to spend time figuring out what you want to pay for cards,
sit down, and put max bids down, win only half what you bid on and then get the cards only to find out they have MAJOR flaws--OH SURE, TECHNICALLY the cards grade what they say they are, but as with those of us who send cards in to PSA for out set registry, a card that would normally grade 7 or even 8
can only come back a 4 or 5 (or if you are lucky---a 6). This has become for me an exercise in futility and I have just had it with wasting so much time screwing
around with people who just won't or don't care to grade cards at least reasonably by talking about any flaws the card may have! I have been buying and selling collectibles (coins and cards) for over 25 years and I can assure you I can take just about any card from 1953-to date and give you a reasonable expectation of what the card will grade - its not that difficult! Sorry to rattle on about this, but I know many of you feel the same way. I don't like leaving negative feeback because I like to think that the only way I would leave NEGATIVE feedback about any seller is if they don't deliver at all or the item is
counterfeit. Maybe I am too easy, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I don't come on here very often, and I am done for the day, but, any feedback or thoughts you all
have on this on this posting would be greatly appreciated! You all seem to be a great group of people and I read the boards occasionally and know how
great you are with helping people on here and such. This has not soured me from buying cards, but it sure put a BIG dent in it! THANKS FOR THE TIME
and hope this problem at some time will get better! Regards, Tony AKA - KalineFanimage

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Many don't have the beans to give a neg.

If you are unhappy - ask the seller for a refund or resolution.

If nothing happens to your satisfaction - be the first with the beans to launch a neg. You will be doing the rest of us a favor, and I think you will be surprised that others will follow and help eradicate same situatuion you are encountering from same sellers. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Agreed people don't want to leave negs because they will get negs back, and who
    wants to have less than 100% feedback...even though most of us manage to horn off
    some buyer at some time, regardless of quality ("it took ten days and I expected it in seven, etc").

In the absence of people who will leave negs, perhaps this forum IS a place to name names,
    because it doesn't add negatives to your feedback (isn't there a statute of limitations after which
    someone can't leave feedback? After that time, if the seller hasn't made good, name names.)

If nothing else, I keep a blocked bidder list which includes everyone who ever sold me
    a bad card or lot and refused to make good on it, tells me I don't know card quality, etc.

Here's a name to name. redplush99 - go back a couple years or look at the tool that
    shows negative feedbacks only - he'd fool a bunch of guys, but those who called him
    on the quality he'd leave immature feedback like "customer is a real idiot" over and over.
    After a while the "me" section had this BS about "my son was doing ebay now I took it over
    and he changed from cards to handbags. And still called customers idiots. Gee dad, If your son had such a lousy rep I'd get a new userid.

I do let the seller know when the quality is a lot less than I expected...to see if they offer to take
    the card back, most do, or send me some bucks back....but I admit that
    I am one of those trying not to gather negs...I just try to resell the card and take the loss...
    maybe not the bravest approach to fighting the bad cards sold from arizona or cardtrading warehouses estates.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    I hate sellers that provide digital photos of a card instead of a scan (though cheap
    scanners aren't great either).

I sometimes provide scans larger than the actual card. Shows flaws very well,
    perhaps costs me some sales or some bucks, but no buyers saying "card was in
    worse condition than I was led to believe in the auction"

Norm Cash (cards) Larger Than Life
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    I think I have resolved myself to the fact that NM cards on Ebay are almost non-existant. I always want to email those folks that market the cards as NM-MT, and the centering alone EX-MT at best. If I have the interest in the card, I will email the seller and ask about refunds and I also mention that I will have the card graded. If I get a response, they will usually stand behind the card. I have had O.K. luck on some, but most of the time my raw cards have been better quality from folks on this board. Most shops that list cards on Ebay will also work bidders.
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    U never know, bought a "nm-mt 71 ryan. Seller says "the best I have ver seen" yeah right????? Graded PSA 8. JErk of the millenium is Buythatcard. Now includes in his auctions "scan may not show all defects, email first". Then never offers refunds. Bought a Gil Mcdougald heavily creased right down the center, thanks (don't)buythatcard!
  • Options
    buying raw on ebay is an incredible bargain. Wheni came back to the hobby, i bought a lot of raw cards off ebay...a lot of them were stated as NM. When i got them, some were close....a lot were not. It's a learning process that a lot of new collectors go through....that's the value that psa, sgc, gai and BGS provides for us collectors. Sure, these grading companies do miss....but, at the very least you get a card one grade off as opposed to a card 3 or more grades off.

In sum, dont buy raw on ebay unless it's a seller you trust. Or, of course, youre not worried about card condition.
  • Options

<< <i>go back a couple years or look at the tool that shows negative feedbacks only >>

Where do you find that on eBay?
    Collecting Edmonton sports cards - all Eskimos CFL cards and O-Pee-Chee Oilers as well as Chris Osgood hockey cards
  • Options
    here's the tool that shows negative and neutral feedback

Tool

plug in "jdsbullpen" and say "WOW, someone needs to give this guy a swift kick"
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    As I have just started selling on eBay, this is a dilemma that I face. Right now, I am selling PSA graded cards to get some experience selling (and so far, doing pretty good). However, eventually I will need to sell my raw 1970s sets (74,76,77) and the many 60s cards that are less than NM . I know how to grade fairly accurately now and I am planning on listing the sets with the pct% in each grading group. But how do I prevent everyone from automatically deducting one or two grades as they (and I as well) do whenever they see raws on the eBay? It seems like the standard practice is to over-inflate the grades, which I will not do. Any advice?
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Tony , just one point.........if a seller has tons of feedback and only an approval rating in the 98th percentile, that means he has a pretty substantial number of negatives. I investigate a sellers feedback very carefully if it's under 99.5% and even then will usually check it.

Steve, When you get to the point of selling raw I'd state very specifically that you grade by PSA standards and will refund if it's not what was expected. It may be a hassle to refund but builds your reputation as a scrupulous dealer.
    my 2 pesos,
    Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Maybe redplush99 came back as jdsbullpen. Similar anger in the feedbacks. Thanks to those who
    posted the link. Love that comment "Dr Beckett should be told that badly creased cards now grade as eX"
  • Options

Hey guys sorry I didn't answer all....I had to go out of town. Thanks for all the comments on
    this situation.

I kind of vented a lot but I am just very TIRED of this grading thing as I am sure that many
    other items on ebay are the same.

I was pointing it out for the main reason that if a person such as myself that I consider
    fairly well versed in how to grade cards, what happens to the "NEWBIES" on here that
    just "ACCEPT" what they get and it just keeps going on and on....!?!?

Just a thought again on this same ole' dead subject (LOL) !

You all have been great, I can only hope this situation will eventually change and it
    will HAVE TO BE e B a y that changes it with stricter guidlines for collectibles in particular!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT! TONY-aka KalineFan

imageimageimage