Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Threating email because I sniped an auction

Ebay auction 395349175 - I was the 2nd highest bidder. I sniped it and I guess the high bidder was upset that I bid on the coin. Here is the text message that was sent by ebay message service:

Dear rayovac,

that last second stealing crap is demeaning dont you think?

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
mgarbin103

Did ebay change the rules to make sniping illegal? Is anybody else sniping? Are you receiving "threating" emails also?

ebay auction
CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
RayOverby

Comments

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Sniping is just fine. There is nothing illegal about it. What is funny about it is that he didn't loose the auction, but he is still complaining.
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    report him
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sour grapes cuz you made him pay more. Tell him he was born lucky cuz he can kiss your ass and you can't.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    I got an email from a sniper that couldn't get his bid thru in the last seconds and he emailed me to complain about it! image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    report him/her to eBay. Maybe he/she will be kicked off.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree, forward that message to eBay; maybe they'll actually do something.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Ray,

Feel better that you know a similar coin, graded by ANACS sold for $23.03 last year...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray
    The guy's probably just frustrated. We've all been there at both ends of snipping. I've sold to this guy, you could bring him around with a fellow collector's message and turn him on to a coin or two. He'll probably apologize if anything.
    What was ebay's message about snipping?
    Aside from all that, Frank and I missed you at the FUN show! I even tried paging you. We'll try again soon!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray,

I snipe all the time. Don't worry about it. It is all within the rules and anybody can do it if they choose to. It's all "just part of the game"

My wise old Grandma use to say "If you can't stand the heat,,,,,get out of the kitchen"

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ray:

Keep sniping as long as it is not in auctions I'm bidding in. image

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I got a similar message once too... I sniped and won the coin, and the underbidder messaged something like "you sniping coward".
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four of the five coins I got this weekend were snipes the other one was a BIN. If they don't like it there hard luck.
    Oh and his use of the eBay message service like that is against eBay rules. You can report it, for all the good it does to send reports to eBay on anything.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I just placed a snipe bid the other day, and still got outbid. Just because you snipe an auction does not always guarantee a win! It was obvious he was looking for a deal, Sh@t Happens
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

I think its funny... Just let it go. We have all been there. You win some you lose some. He's probably made because he had to pay more...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Ebay auction 395349175 - I was the 2nd highest bidder. I sniped it and I guess the high bidder was upset that I bid on the coin. Here is the text message that was sent by ebay message service:

Dear rayovac,

that last second stealing crap is demeaning dont you think?

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below

Wierd image

I got an email from a sniper that couldn't get his bid thru in the last seconds and he emailed me to complain about it! That's funny image
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a crybaby. Don't give it another thought. He should have bid the maximum he was willing to pay.
    Doug
  • Options
    Dear Ray:

Speaking as a snipee who's been sniped many times, I just don't understand what the big deal is. "Sniping" just means bidding in the last minute or two, and what could be wrong with that?

I don't see how they can ban it either. "No new bids in the last two minutes" would just mean the auction ended two minutes earlier. And then, that's when the last-minute bidding (sniping) would take place.

Put the whole incident behind you. The guy complained. Ain't no law against complaining is there? So reporting him isn't going to get you anywhere, is it? Relax and enjoy.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Rayovac,
    Get a dictionary and look up the word "threat". I see no threat here!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once got called a chikken chit *aggot fer doin that. My plan was to hit the SOB again!! image
  • Options
    I would respond, it is not when you bid but how much you bid had you bid more for the coin you would have won. Good Day.
  • Options
    I have heard there is even programs out there that will snipe bid for you in the last fraction of a second before a auction ends and you need not even be present to make it happen the computer program does it all for you .MIKE(THE DELIVERY SET)
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Do a search for all the items being bid on by this person and keep sniping the auctions until he quits in disgust.

Don't get mad, get even! image
  • Options
    image I have had people send me messages like that before, and I still bid exactly the way that pleases me !!
  • Options
    HA HA HA Two more seconds to go

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This concept is also practiced in person at major auctions. No different than when a new bidder or two chimes in for the first time after a coin has been bid up by other bidders. It's sometimes demoralizing to those who think they have the lot in hand only to see fresh faces popping in (i.e. real serious buyers) towards the end.
    Nothing illegal about it though it is frustrating to think you are in good stead only to be blown out of the water.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold