Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the "best" deal you've had for a card/set?

I think that my top three are:

1. A box of 1000 exmt+ 1960's cards that I paid $300 for 10 years ago while I was in college from a guy who was a regular at the Hardee's where I was manager at (don't even ask because I don't still work there image. It was my first vintage card purchase and yielded 80 to 1000 1965 Topps including Kemp and Biletnikoff (no Namath), Sayers and Butkus rookies, and tons of 1966 Philly's, 1968 Topps and various other 60's cards.

2. I bought a binder of 1971 Topps football in NM/MT condition for $175 that was the whole set minus the Bradshaw which I already had. I was told that the set was put together from vending and I have just started getting the cards graded and have received 1 7, 8 8's and 1 9 (so far).

3. There are two. First, I bought a raw 1969 Topps Namath for $50 that was the nicest one I had ever seen. I submitted it years ago to PSA and it came back a 9 (I had one of the first 1969 PSA 9's). Second, I bought a 1957 Unitas rookie for $150 and when I submitted it for grading it came back a 7. Neither may be considered "great deals" but they have a lot of meaning to me since both are registed in my various sets (and always will be image

As a side note, I recently bought a 1984 Marino/Barkowski League Leader that was given a raw grade of 9 by BGS for $3 that I just submitted to PSA and received a 10 on (only the 3'rd one). It's in my Marino master set.

Looking forward to other "victory" stories.

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

In March of 2000, I traded three Tiger Woods Masters PSA 7, one Giambi rookie PSA 9, and a Chipper Jones PSA 10 (these were my only modern cards) for a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #53 PSA 3.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    1420 sports is the winner so far. I can't even come close
    to topping that one. What a great deal.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1420 sports is the winner so far. I can't even come close
    to topping that one. What a great deal. >>

I'd like to know what was the person was thinking that traded the Ruth.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I got a near complete set of 1967 cards in trade for lending my car to a guy for a trip.
    Sure, the cards weren't in great shape, but neither was my car, and I got to keep the cards.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    1967topps-

Who paid for the gas?
  • Options
    i just bought a lot of 106 nolan ryan oddball cards all in mint shape for less than a dollar a piece and i will trade them all for that 33 ruth.lol
  • Options
    I fixed my future brother-in-laws water pump on his truck. Then the next day he showed up with cash for the parts (which he barrowed from his dad) and 2 completely full brown paper bags of baseball and football from 1968-1973. I got 2 Ryan rc's both nm/mt nice centering, 3 Schmidt rc's one was a PSA 8. Also 6 Mantle's 2 1968's and 4 1969's. About 2000 card's of which almost all were nm/mt or better. In football a Griese rc, 2 Bradshaw rc's and 4 Staubach's that were all mint. Namath's also and around 260 1972 high numbers in great shape. I spent lots of hours going thur these cards upgrading my sets. I did'nt mention, When he gave me the cards I made him feel guilty for just giving me "some dumb old cards" as he called them. So the next night he gave me a case of beer. But I'm sure he did that just to think he had a chance to get into my sisters pants. He's the type that's all he cared about. Now my sister is fat and ugly and I still have his cards (which are now mine) in the same shape as when he gave them to me.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Shortly before taking a very long vacation from the hobby around 1990, I dumped 90% of my modern stuff and focused on vintage. Greenwell, Bo Jackson, Canseco, Eric Davis, Gregg Jefferies, Strawberry all went out the door over the course of a few weekends at shows. So did Barry Bonds and Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux, in bulk lots of commons and semi-stars. So someone ELSE made money off those, but they probably lost their pants on the singles I dumped. I was a small-potatoes weekend seller and even I had a ton of modern. Goes to show just how much of that stuff is out there.

So overall the decision to get out of modern before going into hibernation was one of my "best deals."

mrcardsniper, that is an incredible find. It's amazing that all those vintage cards stuffed into brown bags were still NM/MT or better.
  • Options
    They were sorted by year and in different size boxes. Thanks god! Otherwise they would have been trashed.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I traded an off-grade Goody Ruth card from '32 or '33 (I can't remember which) to some dolt for a PSA 10 Chipper Jones, a mint graded Jason Giambi rookie, and a few near mint graded Tiger Woods Master cards. Woods was on his way to the "Tiger Slam" and Giambi was about to be MVP. Sweetest deal I've ever had! image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    At the last Shriner's show here in Wilmingotn, MA I saw a guy who had a bunch of Non-sport stuff. I went home, and went back on Sunday. I traded 10 ex 3 stooges cards, 3 gilligan's island cards, and one batman card, for which he gave me either 60 dollars cash, or 80$ trade. I looked over his table and didn't see, much, when he pointed a another case in the back. I saw some of my beloved 55 topss hanging out in there so I took a peek. I found a "nm-mt" raw Ted Kluzewski in the stack with the tag for 80$ ( expected at least a seven). We traded and I sent the card out to be graded. Pulled an 8! Even though book on this thing is only $250, I have seen them fetch about 400 from the heavy hitters completing this set. Mind you it was only a few months ago I got this PSA 8 raw card, for some junk I had in my house!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Some old man came into my store with a trunk filled with cards. Said he was hungry, I bought him a tuna sandwich and a coke. (12oz can) he left the trunk and we were to split the proceeds. Well the tuna sandwich musta been bad cuz 3 days later he was dead. I tried in vain to locate his next of kin. (well sorta) I even went to his wake and advised his son that he left me some cards etc. Son didn't want anything to do with the trunk full of cards said I could keep em. Make a long story short inside the trunk were 3 t206 Honus Wagners!!!!!!! It is among the greatest finds ever!!!

Nah never happened

but it is snowing out
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably my best buy was a "MINT" 1973 set I purchased off eBay for $700 several years ago. I was hoping for a decent percentage of NM-MT cards, including the Schmidt which looked nice and was the only scan provided. Lo and behold, when I opened the box the set was pristine. Almost all the cards were mint with the typical smattering of OC cards. I ended up getting 9s on the Schmidt, Ryan, Aaron, Gossage, Garvey, Rose and F Robinson.
  • Options
    Half of a small card store...all for free! Long story but it was a gift for doing a good deed.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    About 20 years ago, my friend and I took an ad in the Sports Collectors Digest for buying T206's. The one response got us about 500 T206's for $225.00. The lot included Hall Of Famers including, Mathewson, Johnson, and a lot of others. The condition would have been near mint to most of them except the reverse has very light glue stains. I still have some of them. Probably one on my best buys.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    reading these stories make me think of the other side.....a great buy or great deal to one guy, must be a horrible sale or a crappy deal to the other, no?

if the title to this thread was "what was the biggest ripoff you ever made?" would the entries be the same?

I don't have anything wrong with getting a great buy, or ripping off another guy - I'm not condemning any of these posts, just thought it was interesting to see it from the other side of the hill.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I am supposed to see a collection for sale tonight or tomorrow - "tons of 50's and 60's baseball and football, and in great shape too" - so he says. I'll keep you posted.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    card show: '32 U.S. Caramel Paul Waner (in about Fair condition) in a dealer's junk box for a quarter.

card shop: 1/1 Gold Xfractor rookie of Steve Blake from '03/04 Topps Finest basketball in a dealer's dime box.

eBay: '59 Topps PSA 6 Dolan Nichols No Option Line variation (SMR $75) for less than $3 (including shipping) - PSA does not state on the label that the card is the tough variation.

special mention goes to the card show where I won 2 of the 3 big door prizes (a box of that year's (2002) Topps Baseball and a Kobe jersey card), to the card store last year that sold me their last 13 packs of Fleer GOTG basketball at $2.50 a pack, where the packs yielded autographs of Bob Knight, Kareem, and Mikan, and to the store closing sale from Time Out Collectibles last year, where by the end, even the supplies like ball holders and 9-pocket sheets were 80% off.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Alll him, he had plenty of cards, decent amount of cash, but wasn't the 25 years old that all
    the rental car companies wanted him to be. So the gas was all him.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    I should be able to top most of these. I traded a 1988 Donruss Wax case plus a 1987 Topps baseball set in 1989 for (217) 1952 Topps baseball cards #'s 191-407 including (2) # 311 Mantles ( one was Vg-ex and the other was Gd-vg) . The other 215 cards averaged around Vg-ex/Ex. I had $225.00 into the case and the set. That is an average of $1.00 each per card including the Mantles.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - that gets my vote, reggie1! Especially since you couldn't trade a 1988 Donruss case today for a cord of wood...

I am very friendly with a local dealer, who knows what sets I collect - and what type of cards I look for (high grade). He purchased a large collection from a dealer about 2 years ago, and part of it was a monster box of 1976/1977 baseball, and some 1975 basketball (all commons and very minor stars). Since it was a 5000 card box, he let me do what I usually do - take the box home, see what I need, and then bring him back the rest. This box was awesome, there were some EX-MT cards, but also many pristine, pack fresh cards. I pulled about 100 or so of the best, before deciding to just buy the whole box. My price - $200.00. The box yielded at least 20 PSA 10's from these sets, including some of which are still 1/1's. But, the best part was when I sold him back the remainder of the box a month later, a few hundred cards short - for $100.00.
  • Options
    One of my most memorable deals was during bthe mid-80's I had developed relationships with a network of Walgreen, Woolworth and McCrory's store managers. This was during the time when it was difficult to but Fleer and Donruss product. Also Fleer and Donruss was 3X times more expensive than Topps. I had arranged to not only buy all the Fleer and Donruss baseball wax and rack product from 6 area stores (5-10 cases per store), but they also charged me what they charged for Topps at the time and than discounted that by 30%. Bottom Line I was getting wax boxes of 84-87 Fleer and Donruss cards for $9.60 a box and flipping them to card stores for $25- $30 a box.
    Ironically my biggest missed opportunity was through this same connection. At the beginning of the 87 baseball season one of the store mangers had about 3 loose cases and 3 sealed cases of 86 Fleer basketball that wasn't selling. He wanted to clear his shelves to make room for the new baseball product and offered me the product and $5 a boximage
    I passed on the deal and still get sickimage till this day when I think about packs going for $300.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - that gets my vote, reggie1! >>

huh? How can he beat out half a small card store for doing a good deed. Included to the best of my memory:

Baseball:
    Every major set 77 - 91 (most subsets too)
    88 - 91 Tiffany's w/ traded
    Hundres of 50's, 60's & 70's hof'ers/stars (62 Yaz 8, 65 Aaron 8, 52 Duke, Mantles, Clementes yada, yada)
    5 boxes of 80's/90's oddballs & multiple sets
    signed baseballs - 71 St. Louis team, Koufax, Lefty Gomez, Williams, Mantle, DiMaggio

Football:
    Sets (75, 84, 85 - 91, 3 - 90 scores)
    Rookies - Payton, Piccollo, Montana
    80's subsets and oddballs

Basketball:
    Sets (75, 77, 87, 88 - 91)
    Some subsets and oddballs
    Autos - partial team 80's Lakers

Non-Sports:
    Mostly 80's (batman, SW, Disney, Star Trek, Wolverine, 3 - Marvels)

Hockey:
    Sets (87, 89-91, 3 OPC Premier)
    singles - Orr, Howe, Gretzky's, PSA 8 Mario L. OPC rookie
    Some oddballs

1 box of comics (unk but nothing major)
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    One of the local dealers told me that back in 1986, football was bigger than basketball. He said that he would order 50 cases of everything for his shops. Nobody was buying 1986 Fleer basketball but people wanted the 1986 Topps football. So he said that he would make a deal with the kids in the neighborhood that he would give them a case of 1986 Fleer basketball for each 1986 Topps Football that they sorted into complete sets. He said the kids would pull out the Bird's, Magic's, and a couple other star cards and throw the rest in the trash. Boy, if I could only have been a huge basketball loving trash collector in 1986. Anyways, I filled him in on the current market value of 50 cases of 1986 Fleer basketball and I think he almost got sick.

My best deal was a 1975 Topps baseball set on Ebay.

A friend of mine bought about $100,000 worth of vintage cards for $20 from a disgruntled divorcing wife back in 1990. There was about 15-20 Yaz RC's (some mint), mantles, complete sets, 800 vintage football including 30 Jim Brown's (6 RC's) mostly all close to mint, and TONS of other stuff. He dumped it all for good money to local shops. I explained to him about PSA nowadays and he "doesn't want to talk about it", lol.
  • Options
    hi all,

many of you have already heard this true tale, but for those of you who have not, check this out.

this guy has an auction on ebay, i`ve been looking for a good raw 1974 topps johnny bench card to send in for grading. for my bench master set. he has auction listed as "1974 johnny bench" thats all.

so i say what the heck, the card pic starts loading up,,,,, and i think geez what is this. well i snipe in and win auction for $48.00

about a month or so later i send it in with some other bench cards,, here it is ,,,

true story,, lee
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Half of a small card store...all for free! Long story but it was a gift for doing a good deed. >>

Okay, now that you elaborated - I stand corrected. image
  • Options
    BUY NOW

Great stories.

I posted this in October, but it fits in right here. I have since sold several other cards from the lot, including 3 or 4 PSA 6s at ridiculous prices. The 6s I sold were replaced with 5s. I am now down to one card to complete the set and am waiting for the right Cobb/Crawford to catch my eye. The sales more than made up for the cost of the buy-it-now and left me a good portion of the $ needed for the Cobb.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    onlychild - which store was it?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ended up getting 9s on the Schmidt, Ryan, Aaron, Gossage, Garvey, Rose and F Robinson. >>

Great story. Do you still have the Gossage by any chance?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at a man's house here locally that I knew had a bunch of cards. He had mostly modern, and I was trying to finish a couple of sets. I asked him if he had any "old ones". He said, "I'll be right back." He brought out an album. I looked through it. The first couple of pages were 1952 Bowman High number commons and 1952 Topps commons. The rest of the album was 1953 Topps. I kept looking, and it had several stars including Satchell Paige, Pee Wee Reese, Bob Feller, etc. I asked, "How much for this whole album? He thought for a minute, and he said "How 'bout $1500. I said, "Let me think about it."

A couple of weeks later, I was near his house, and stopped by. I asked him if he would take any less. He said, "OK, you can have it for $1000." I wrote him a check right there. I got the album home, and little did I know that the 1953 Topps was just 7 cards shy of a complete set. Of course, it still needed the Mantle and Mays. I immediately started searching Ebay, and within a couple of weeks, I finished out the set for $700 more. I turned right around and listed it on Ebay. Sold for $3800! I more than doubled my money!

I wish I could do that about once a month!

Shane

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I promised an update - here it is:

Overall it was pretty interesting - but a bit anticlimatic. I visited him a couple of hours ago, greeted by a EX/MT Ryan rookie, and then a good number of GOOD to FAIR and some VG 60's star cards, about 40 in all, highlighted by the Ryan Rookie and a 66 Mantle that was EX. He had a Reggie Rookie and a few Clementes in the group, but they were pretty beat up (between POOR & VG).

He then showed me 3 big baseball binders including 1964-1969, probably 1000 cards in total, mostly VG+, give or take a grade or two. They got a bit nicer (but not too nice) as the years went on. These included some star cards, league leaders, and semi stars but mostly commons.

The coolest part was he pulled a small folder of really beat up 50's stuff, and in it were about 18 different '53 Glendale Meats cards. All were in PSA 1 condition I would suppose. I did not know much about them, but I thought they were tough and I was intrigued.

Oh, and there were about 600 really beat up 60's football with the standard regular mix of stars and commons - no real stud cards, but second year Namath, and nice cards like that in the mix. Again though, pretty beat up.

I tried to be as fair as I could, I made a big mistake though. I initially forgot totally about the football cards, and I struggled with what to offer. I finally said $850 for the lot, and he balked. As we were wrapping up, I remembered the football, and I told him I honestly did not include that in my offer. I told him with the football I could go $1200. He did not even counter offer. I think he thought they were all worth in the $10 grand range. Problem was, my honest oversight on the football cards probably made him think I was just trying to swindle him.

I encouraged him to check ebay, buy a price guide, and get an understanding of CONDITION. He was very nice, but I think he was insulted, which is too bad because I was really trying to be fair (heck I was probably overpaying which I have a tendency to do). Looking back, and doing some research on the '53 Glendale Hot Dog Cards, I probably would go as high as $1400. That way, I think I could get back most of my investment with the beat up stars, and add a good amount to my raw, mid grade 60's sets that I am working on, with possible Glendale Hot Dog set to start as well.

I will call him in a few days to see if he has an interest. If anything comes of it, I'll update you here.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best that come to mind:
    1. 61F #46 - from Rotman auction for 30$ - now a PSA 9.
    2. 48B Baugh PSA 8 - Greg Manning auction for 450$ in 94.
    3. 32 US Caramel Cochrane PSA 8 - Greg Manning auction for 550$ in 94.
    4. Stack of WS programs and stuff for 450$ - 2 55 WS Dodger programs, many others and some ticks - notably a 52 WS Yank and Dodger stub.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike