Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Barber Halves "Showdown" at Long Beach

Feast your Set-Registry-Fans' eyes on the Barber Halves "Showdown" scheduled for the upcoming Long Beach Coin, Stamp & Collectibles Expo, February 24 - 26.

Click here to begin drooling at what's coming to Long Beach

-donn-
"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    I can promise that the coins to be displayed will be worth a long look, as all the great collections of the past will be well represented:

1. James Stack

2. Emery-Nichols

3. Eliasberg

4. Pryor

5. Price

6. Hugon

And individual coins from David Akers, the Boy's Town Sale, and others.

Many of the dates have never been to auction and will be viewed by the public for the first time. There are several 67's with the best toning and surfaces for any series: Duckor's 1904 and 1899, Friend's 1898 and 1907-D, Shireman's blast white 1908-pop 1.

Why do I know this? I have seen the coins in person, especially the 1892-O micro-o in 68.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys,

Can I sell you some upgrades ? I have something that everyone needs.

Stewart
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

Let us know what you have, either publically, or by PM if you choose.

I sure hope you can come to the Barber Half Showdown.

I can't wait to see Dale's set and Steve's again.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    >>>I can't wait to see Dale's set >>>

you got that right...its going to be fun...dale is working on his 10th degree black belt in coin collecting and it looks like he will become a "master" this year..... i think i will apply to be his guard of his cabinet....now that they are slabed he wont so much if i drool all over them

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing these great coins,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I did some quick calculations.

The three registry barber half sets that will be in the Showdown in Long Beach have between them:

2 of 9 total PCGS-graded MS 68 barber halves, 22.2% including Eliasberg 1892-O micro O

51 of 106 total PCGS-graded MS 67 barber halves, 48.1%

89 of 324 total PCGS-graded MS 66 barber halves, 27.5%

Pretty impressive numbers that these three sets hold such a high percentage of the top-graded barber halves. Hope to see lots of you there. The three of us set builders will be at the PCGS table at various times to meet and discuss our coins.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Saw the three sets in Long Beach. Amazing sets.

One thing I notice is that there is ZERO wild toning Barber half in any set. Did you ever see any high end Barber mint state business strike half with wild toning image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I did take a peek at them. They were "technically specific" and not slanted by wild colors. These collectors are students of the game.
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

rOCK AND rOLL - If anyone else has any World Class Barber Half dollars.....bring em out !!

These coins are breathtaking.My favorite coins are the 1892 micro o inPCGS ms 68 and the Duckor 1899 as well the Shireman 1909 o

Stewart
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great sets! I did manage to identify a favorite toned coin in each set. Yum!
  • Options
    Toning fans,

Some of the coins do have very nice toning, but when viewed in the showcases with reflected lights and overhead lights, it was difficult to see the nice toners. The rather harsh lighting situation made more of the coins look white than is truly the case. Each set has coins in it that are truly fabulous coins and Steve and Dale have more of such coins than do I.

Although originally billed as a "showdown" it was more of a friendly cooperative display. Meeting David Hall and his staff at lunch will be one of the highlights of the show for me. I plan to keep working on my set for another 20-25 years and maybe it will still be unfinished.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like DrPete's attitude in that he sees the showdown as a friendly cooperative display. Also his plans to keep working onj his set for another 20-25 years and "maybe it will still be unfinished."

These Barber Half set collectors are class!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!