Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't get my pics to focus but I need opinions

I cannot, for the life of me, get my digital to focus right on my new coins. I'm really curious though of what I have, what grades they are, and what they may be worth. There aren't any coins shops near where I live, but I was a little bit wary of going into a shop to ask them...don't know, I guess since I'm such a newbie/amateur, I didn't want to be taken for a fool.

Any ideas on how I could find out?

Thanks,
Jen
I am the rare breed of "nerds", a really cute girl that collects Star Wars stuff and coins!

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    If you are anywhere near Mishawaka drop them off.
  • Options
    I have no idea where or what that is!
    I am the rare breed of "nerds", a really cute girl that collects Star Wars stuff and coins!
  • Options
    If you don't have a macro setting on your camera you can't get too close to the coins. Try from farther away. Also try using a portable lamp to see if more light helps. Do you have a scanner? Those work sometimes.
  • Options
    Well, with the camera, I've turned on the tulip icon, and still don't know..I've tried my scanner, but for some reason it cuts off half of the coin...no matter where I place it on the glass. I'm just electronically challenged!
  • Options
    Wat type of camera are you using?

If it has a macro setting (usualy a button with a flower on it) try turning that
    on.

If your camera can accept add-on lenses, you may have to get a macro
    lense for the close up shots; if not you may be out of luck with that camera.

There are previous message threads which talk about cameras and taking
    pictures. Try a search by topic "camera".
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    My scanner cuts off half the coin too!-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    it's a sony cybershot 3.2
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Mishawaka is right across the street from South Bend. image If you can't figure out how to image them then I don't know what to tell ya other than check your library out for coin books.
  • Options
    Ah...yeah, I'm nowhere near Mishawaka, whole other state! Thank you though!
  • Options

<< <i>it's a sony cybershot 3.2 >>

You might need one of these:

Wide Lens
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    My scanner cuts off the image if the settings are on scan item on scanning bed, change to scan entire scanning bed and crop image.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Try putting a white or black piece of paper behind the coin you are scanning. Sometimes pages with words work best, like old scrap paper or something It will recognize the paper as the item, then you can crop to scan just the coin.

Jenna

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file