Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

No No Bands Anymore

My fellow Mercateers, it is with a sense of sadness that I have sold my fledgling No Bands Mercury set. I decided that in order to complete the set it would require all of my coin related dollars and that was just too limiting. My pockets are just not deep enough and I have an interest in many coins in addtion to Mercs.

I have now embarked on a small type set and after not being able to find any coins when chasing the last 20 Mercs, I now find that my choices are many and it becomes the classic tradeoff of cost, condition and eye appeal. I feel energized again in my collecting. I think this may be fairly common as I reflect upon it.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me, especially Ken, in my pursuit of Mercs. I will always be a Mercateer!

Edit added: I sold the set the PQPeace in what was a very easy transaction. He is one of the really good guys to work with IMHO. Larry said he will be keeping a few of the coins, but the others will become available.... so act quickly if you had an eye on any of my NB beauties. I did not want to give out the sellers name, but he PM'd me it was OK and given how well everything went (we never met in person) I just wanted to pass along my very positive experience... yet another good guy Mercateer...

Rick
Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Rick,
    it was a real pleasure dealing with you..
    Good luck on your type sets,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Son of a Gun !!!!!

Another of the "Old Group" has left. I was just thinking yesterday about the loads of fun we had a couple of years ago. Friday was always a day that almost everyone looked forward to so that the additions could be viewed. I guess good and pleasant things in life do not last forever. Sure wish they did though.

Good Luck with you future endeavors. I certainly will miss trying to catch you in the NB Set. Best of Luck to you Rick.

Larry....PM me QUICK please.

Ken
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Ken...
    relax.. image
    I will be doing inventory all weekend.
    Over 400 new coins.
    It takes hours to get these in order.
    Merc newps sunday for sure !!
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OKay.....image

Its just that I know how tough some of these are.

Laid back and relaxing.....image

Ken
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have known Rick for a very long time and I am sadden tohear him leave the mercury dime set group.

Just so you all know rick and I went to the same high school together in the same graduating class. Last week LOL well maybe not last weekimage

Rick you can always return and best of luck with your new collection.

sure is different that the coin club at Peabody H.S.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    I'm still around with my Mercs. No plan on selling them. Hopefully my kids will become active coin collectors to pass on to. We have seen many collections come and go.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the nice words. I will always be a Mercateer and while leaving my No Bands registry set behind my collecting will keep me in touch with all of you. It is just a change in focus, nothing more.

But I DO remember RED Fridays. We all waited while PCGS would update the registry. For newcomers, we did not have an instant validate button a few years ago and PCGS would only update the registry twice a week. We had great fun in building our sets.

Pat, I will see you again in Baltimore I am sure.

I have no idea what Larry will keep for himself, but if he decides to let go of the 18-P jump on it! It has been a pop 1 coin for years, the prize of my collection. This is NOT an advertisement for hype for Larry, just MHO on my favorite coin.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Rick, Good luck in you new adventure. I hope you have at least as much fun as it was chasing Mercury Dimes.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

Sorry to see you leave the No Bands set, but I understand completely. I saw a lot of no bands Mercs at the FUN show last week, but there were so many other coins that I wanted rather than buying Mercs that I already had in FB. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get to a large show, and have to discipline myself to keep from buying the first thing that catches my eye.

I miss those Red Fridays from a couple of years ago too, Ken. There were a lot of us that were adding coins to our sets on a regular basis, and it was fun to see everyone's set grow. Some of us are now looking for just a few coins, and additions are few and far between (that's a hint, Larry. If you get a '21-P in 64 or 65, please let me know image).

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Rick,

Did I see a 20-S in there with FB (64FB)? I hope that's not one of the ones Larry will keep image Just kidding Larry image

Although I'm rather new here, I do feel your pain -- I'm down to the last 17 coins (I'm doing the FB set) and it's torture. I have 5 new ones in grading that should be out any day now (I hope to get at least 3 of them in to my set)...and a couple in grading that will upgrade my set.

Not only are the last ones tough to find, but the prices are just purely arbitrary for these pieces...making it difficult for a lowly collector myself.

Best of luck in your new set.

Mike.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

always sad to see a merc go - but move on to greener pastures image

Red Fridays were fun indeed........

Good luck

Marc
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I would ever sell my Mercury dime setimage

I don't know if I will ever complete the set either, but hope to
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211