Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The value of a Player Basic Set?

All,

I have been building a Basic and Master set of Carlton Fisk. My goal is o have everything from 1980 and above in PSA 10.

Glen's Current Fisk Basic Set

My question is this, should I ever have to sell this Basi Set in the future, what would be the best forumn? Mastro, Ebay, etc...

Do you think there is a market for a mostly PSA 10 set containing a lot of modern cards of a HOF Player?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Great question, I am sure fisk would have a ton of followers no matter which avenue you chose. I think mastro is geared more towars vintgae stuff, and ebay is basically wholesale. I love a nice fisk rookie!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Hi Glen,

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever seen MastroNet include what could be considered a "Basic Player" set. I know they've had those gigantic lots of oddball stuff for Seaver, Mantle, and Rose to name a few, but I've not seen a run of high-grade Topps cards of a HOF player (especially a modern one). My gut says that you'd probably get the best price through a private sale (no idea how to make one of those go down) or by splitting it up and doing it on eBay.

Bob

Edited to spam: Would you be interested in a 1982 Topps Blackless Carlton Fisk card (raw)?
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I remember one of the auction houses doing a run of Koufax cards that was pretty close to a complete Basic Set a while back (maybe Mile High?). I'd be interested in learning more about the possibility of selling an entire player set. It is a concept that has never really clicked in my head with Ryans because up 'til a couple years ago I didn't think anyone would have been interested. But the Set Registry seems to be creating all kinds of new manners of selling "collections" that draw serious interest from serious bidders.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    In the next year or so - I may have one of those Mastro auctions or something sell a lot of about 100 different Schmidt cards in PSA 8/9/10. Very far from a Master set - but a huge chunk of cards.

Basic sets seem to be infinitely more popular than Master Sets - for a variety of reasons. There may be some hard-core collectors that would be interested in a complete, high-grade Basic HOF Player Set. Of course, I do qualify that with saying that it would have to go back to the rookie card (e.g. a Fisk collection that ignores his first 9 years of cards would not get much attention....)

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    P.S. In Leland's last auction -there was an incredible run of Mike Schmidt SGC graded cards that included all his key basic player cards, as well as many of the 1980s basic and oddball cards.

Cheers-
    ~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks ms, My set does go all the way back to his Rookie year. I just don't see myself ever getting 10's from the 1970's. Currently their are only 2 10's for 72' and one for 79'. I could never afford $12,500 for his RC in 10 and the rest do not have 10's.

My set will eventually be all 9's for the 70's and 10's for all others.

I only need 73, 74, 76, 77 in 9 for the 70's. These can be found pretty easy so the hard part is all the 92 and 93 cards.

I aqlso have alot to do to update the master and basic sets. I have about 50 10's that are not listed currently in the registry.

Thanks,

Glen

• Options
    I would aim high simply because of the uniqueness of the collection.
    It's worth being patient and connecting with the right buyer.