Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Proof Jeff Gang: 1938 Pr67 Cam?

Say, I see that the 1938 Jeff Proof 67Cam is gone from the Heritage Inventory. Anyone care to own up to admitting they got the coin?

We could also do this by process of elimination. Post if you did not get the coin.image
Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

Comments

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have it. But I have a nice '38 cameo proof cent that would look great along side it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    For over $10K and with the picture of the coin and IMHO, with the weak Cameo contrast on it... it definitely wasn't me.

Sad thing was... Heritage tried to sell it in the website in auctions a few times and it never made the reserve.

It almost appeared to me as if the coin had been fixed to appear cameo... but, again I only saw the bad pictures.

If someone did purchase the coin, and it is an actual Cameo coin... more power to them. If it's not, there's always that guaranty.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Not me! I used to think my '38 was cameo, but it is a bit light. It does have some contrast... Anyway I didn't buy the Heritage coin!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "eyes" at the FUN show told me I would not like the coin, so I did not even bother informing my top Proof Jeff customer about the coin. So, you can count me out as well.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Not me. Too much $$$$ for too little eye appeal (at least from the photo). But a rarity nonetheless, I guess.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • I passed on this coin too - very light cameo for premium $.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Yes, now I remember our previous discussion of this coin and how we all thought it was really not enough contrast for CAM...
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Okay... this brings up a question that I have to ask... not because I'm trying to make these, but to be more informed...

Caveat this with... You don't have to tell me how to do it, but just it could be done or not...

Let's say... you so happen to have a proof coin with heavy or moderate haze or some other type of discoloration (for lack of a better term) very similar to cameo appearance. Is there a way to make a coin appear to be a cameo by removing portions of the discoloration from the fields which would make a coin appear to be cameo?

IMHO, I believe this mistake got by the grading Gods...

Also, something that I don't believe was ever said... What if Heritage, after trying unsucessfully to auction the coin on at least two occasions and listing it for sale for a month, had no takers. What do you think the odds are that they sent it back to the owner and nobody actually bought it?

Teach me oh gurus!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • While I appreciate "modest" cameos from the 1930's and 40's, I only appreciate them at "modest" prices. I didn't purchase the 1938 PR67 Cameo Jefferson and suspect it was returned to the consignor.

<< <i>Is there a way to make a coin appear to be a cameo by removing portions of the discoloration from the fields which would make a coin appear to be cameo? Steve >>

Steve,
    I'd say yes. Not quite the answer to your question, but see Painted Cameos