Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you dip this Morgan?

This is a very well struck coin with nice mirrors. It has unsightly, splotchy reddish toning on both sides. Would you dip it?

Comments

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    The question you should ask your self- am I slabbing this for future sale or putting in an album for way in the future sale- or just let it be and have it graded? can't see the red from your pics- but coin looks to be a 63 candidate.
  • Options
    Eric;

AHH...It's only an 80-S. if the redness bugs you that much...DO IT. JMOimage By the way, it's a excellent lookin' specimen.

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I feel you'll be more happy with it after a dip..

jim
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Keep It Original! Nice Morganimage Lee
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>The question you should ask your self- am I slabbing this for future sale or putting in an album for way in the future sale- or just let it be and have it graded? can't see the red from your pics- but coin looks to be a 63 candidate. >>

It's already in a slab. I knew the answer to the question before I posted it, just wanted to see what others would do.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Never!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    AWWWWWWWW...DIP, DIP, DIP---DIP, DIP, DIP...dip your MORGY, dip your MORRRRRGY Oh Ohooooooo YEA.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It's hard to say, since there is no unsightly color in the photos shown- but I would always err on the side of not dipping....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does have some nice contrast.

I can't really see the splotchiness in that picture. But if I found it unsightly, then, *sploop!* into the Jeweluster it'd go, faster than you can say dip-itty-doo-dah! image

Edit: I dunno if I would go so far as to crack it out of a slab, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>It's hard to say, since there is no unsightly color in the photos shown- but I would always err on the side of not dipping.... >>

You can't see the reddish streaks in the fields to the right of the eagle on the reverse?
  • Options
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would'nt go to the trouble of cracking it, the toining I see in your pic does'nt look that bad.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    After finding out it's in an old rattler 63PL. No way. That's just me though. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you dip this coin,the marks on the cheek & neck will show more than they do now.JMHO
    Al
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. In my opinion, it's not worth cracking it unless you are trying to upgrade it -- and that's not commercially attractive to risk potentially downgrading the coin, for the potential upside gain from MS-63PL to MS-64PL -- unless you think that it could be a shot DMPL if you are able to dip it and remove the red streakiness.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Stuart, there is no way I'm cracking the coin out. It's an easy DMPL today, and I only paid $50 for it. It's going in my box of goodies.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric: A wise and prudent move, as well as a nice find for $50 image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it be
  • Options
    Such a nice coin. Very frosty devices. No, I would not dip.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dip it dip it GOOD

dip it into shape don't whip it jus dipit image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file