Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Tom Mershon's Lincolns to be sold at Central States

I saw the coins at Heritage's table at the FUN show. This is a good opportunity for Lincoln cent collectors. Not sure I'll be able to play, but I have 5 months to work on it image.

Jack

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he selling MS and Proof, or just the MS?
    Doug
  • Options
    Wow image

Makes the sting of going 2 for 9 at FUN a bit easier to swallow, the bad part is I'm sure the prices will be out of this world....

Rich
  • Options

DMWJR,

I only know about his MS set, as I currently do not collect the proofs. I only saw the MS coins on display at Heritage's table. If he has a proof set, none of them were displayed.

MANOFCOINS,

He may be #10 as they may have a coin or two in for regrade. Also, one coin that I saw looked like it needed to be reholdered, so they may have retired a number out of the set.

Jack
  • Options

Thanks Jack. I think I'll drop him a note and see.
    Doug
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man. I can think of six or seven top buyers that are gonna fight over some of those coins. I wonder if I could get a crumb from the short-set.

David
  • Options
    Oh, crap. Here we go again.image
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

And Velveeta is threatening again !!!!!

You can't even compete with Dave schweitz. He kicked your a$$ and bought the 1895 dime and you couldn't compete.You are a wimp Laura !!!! And to think Mr. Law watched you get your A$$ kicked.You thought Tom "Law" Bender could fool schweitz ? HaHaHa

Now Velveeta thinks she knows Lincolns ??????

And you were scared of me and my orange underwear ?????
    You had to complain to Rohan to keep me from intimidating you ???

You can buy Mershons spectacularly Artificially colored 14 D because you know Lincolns soooo well.

Lord Master Stewart

• Options

Hey, what happened to my thread??

Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway. I won't be able to buy, as Stewart says, "Jack Sh-t".
    I know my absence from the auction room will send prices plummeting, but I'm sure the reserves will prevent a complete collapse of the Lincoln market.

Just remember, Stewart needs a 1958-P in 67RD. Bidding will be fierce!! image

Jack
  • Options
    I've always liked Tom's set, but I'm a bit confused about Stewart's comment on his '14-D. Is it really recolored?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options

Mike,

I viewed the 14-D at the FUN show. Unfortunately, I didn't take very good notes as it is unlikely that I will be participating. The only thing that I noted was that is was a subdued red color. It made it into the PCGS holder so if it is recolored it was a good job.

Jack
  • Options

Stewart,

Don't even try it!! I know you're trying to scare us all off. You know darn well that the bidding for that 58 penny will be hot and heavy. To be honest I don't think you stand a chance against some of the heavy hitters going after that coin. image

Best of luck,

Jack
  • Options
    Wow!! Lets see all of those awesome Lincoln Sets to sell off in the last year or so.

David Poole, Mike Sadler, "Kyle Patrick Collection", and now Tom Mershon. I am sure I left out a couple of big ones...but I just liked hearing my set in the same sentence...even if it didn't hold a candle to any of them. Who will be next?? Stewart.........you could probalby put together a set of undergrades that would shame most of these sets. How about it?? Marc Sickles (Kyle Patrick Collections)

Stewart- Will we ever see your Lincoln set displayed at a coin show venue in the future?? It was nice to see your Indian cent collection displayed along with the other two sets a couple of years ago at Long Beach.
    Marc
  • Options

Marcalan - I will not sell my Lincoln cent collection until Gerry sells his collection.Tom Mershon was not a numusmatist.He did not have the passion.He was quite a character.I hope he brings his girlfriend and daughter to the auction.Then perhaps Gerry will make a personal appearance.

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart- I wasn't implying you sell your Top set....but that you could probably put together a set of your undergrades that would beat most of the sets that have been selling. I am not sure if this is true still....because I know you have sold coins to many of us other Lincoln collectors....but I do know you still have really nice duplicates of many if not all or most of the sets.

And you didn't answer my question: Will we ever see your Lincoln Set displayed at a future Coin Show venue??
    Marc
  • Options
    This is probably a good time to report that all my Lincolns are now under the control of my grandson, Harry, with his little trust fund.

There is bad news for all of us. He is an excellent basketball player and used to walk around muttering ”Be Like Mike.” But I have told him all about Mr. Blay and he now walks around muttering “Be Like Stewart.” Lincoln collecting will be very tough for many years to come.

• Options
    Marcalan - I still need the 1958 in ms 67 red.I'll se if I can buy Mershon's.I think he bought most of them from Wonderb--.Perhaps they will turn out to be wondercoins. I exhibited my sets in Chicago in 1991.Then in New York in 1997.Fortunately Julian Leidman got me thrown out of the ANA.Perhaps I will exhibit them at the FUN 2009 show at the PCGS table.By then I should be able to buy a 1958 in ms 67 red.

Gerry - Don't you want to meet Tom Mershon ?

stewart

• Options

Gerry,
    You're killin' me. I thought if I just made it to 2009 I'd have a shot at my baby again. I was going to refinance the house and everything. I only have about 1.2M in equity right now, but thought by 2009 I could come up with about 2M. That would at least get me 3 or 4 of your coins. Now they're locked up in a trust fund. Well, maybe we can get Stewart to sell. image

Marc,
    The sale of Tom Mershon's coins would be a good time to jump back in.image
  • Options
    Jack- I am off working on other series. I can't afford the Lincolns on my salary. Parents have no money (so there won't be any inheritance)........and I don't play the lottery. After buying my 2nd house (on a lake)......I have ensured that the wife and I will be working for a long long time. I need to get a few more clients of Stewarts and Gerry's stature so I can buy a coin or two each year!! I am not sure if these guys invest their $$ in anything but coins?? If so.......they know how reach me.
    Marc
  • Options

The entire Tom Mershon collection of mint state Lincoln cents were viewable at the Heritage table in Long Beach.There are many nice coins in the collection.Perhaps Velveeta will try and buy this collection in its entirety.I also got to spend an hour or so with Tom and his girlfriend Shirley.I asked him why he was selling his collection.He said he really did not want to sell his collection.

stewart
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By then I should be able to buy a 1958 in ms 67 red.

Sure you will. By then there will be at least 5-7 of them available in that grade.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    The Lincolns looked great! I was hoping that the Proofs would be up for sale as well. He's got one in there that I want really badly!

Not sure what to make of the discoloration on the 14-d after I viewed it in person. I probably just don't have enough experience. I see them occaisionally with the same thing on other dates that make the same grade, but I always pass right along because of the lack of eye appeal -- that and they are only $100 coins where the pops are in the 50's or higher and other copies are readily available.
    Doug
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Ah, and the games begin. What time do the lions and bears come on.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "and finally the "several" heavy hitter Lincoln collectors out there that are anonymous (I still don't know who they are, but everyone believes they exist)"

Nahhh, you think? image

Interesting developments in the 70-S DDO in 65RD. After peaking on Teletrade for just over 25k, Tom was tryin to dump his for around $12,000 (+the juice) thru Heritage a short time ago. image

Might be a good time to decide who's going for what & not run each other up image