Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stupid question about numismatic books

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I always read that the most famous collectors also had pretty large (and famous) numismatic book collections as well (seems to make sense). I also know that a lot of them "marked" their books with their name or other identifying information (I know there is a technical name for doing this, but I can't think of the word) using a stamp or other means Anyway, I was wondering of anyone marks their books in this way, and if so, where do you get the personalized stamp in order to do so? I was thinking of using those "squeeze stamps" that a notary uses, but I am not sure where to get one. Any help?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I've got a Judd book that years ago I started writing, date, price paid, opinion of condition next to almost every pattern that I bought. It goes back 20 years.

It's all hand written and really cool to look thru the book sometimes. I also took photos of some of these coins and have the photos in there as bookmarks!

Ditto on a Breen Encyclopdia although to a lesser extent to what I did with the Judd book.

Tomimage
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    RYK graciously pointed out that the word I was looking for is "embossing". A Google search listed a bunch of hits for hand held embossers. I tend to like when I buy used books have a person's name in it (except for some recent purchases of children's books at our town's book sale that contained something to the effect of, "Suzie, Happy 3rd Birthday, Love, Grandpa, etc., etc."). I wonder if the old geezer knows that Suzie hocked his book.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just an "old" fashioned hand write it type of guyimage

Tom
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Those squeeze stamps that emboss paper are available at most rubber stamp companies. If you have trouble locating one and want one of those, let me know - we have a local dealer who can make them. I believe they are around $35.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Most office supply stores can have embossing stamps made up for you. Or find a Notary and ask where he had his made. Another term for using an embossed seal like that to mark you books is called blindstamping.
  • Options
    Alot of craft stores have blank stamps you can make your own image on them. Just a thought. And anywhere scrapbooking is done.
    Working on Lincoln cent set
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are famous, marking the book will lower its collector value.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another option is having bookplates made. These are custom labels with your name or whatever on 'em, that go in the front of the book.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are famous, marking the book will lower its collector value.

On the other hand, it might help to establish that you are famous. image
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Interestingly, the Numismatic Bibliomania Society discussed this issue in their weekly E-Sylum. They didn't like the embossers, as they damaged the book. They thought bookplates were OK, particularly if they established ownership by someone well-known.

They particularly liked books that had notes in them by either the author or a well-known collector (especially if it had that person's bookplate).

For those of you who aren't familiar with the NBS, they publish a quarterly journal, the Asylum and, distribute (for free) a weekly e-mail, the E-Sylum, which has comments on numismatic books and research and provides a venue for you to ask research questions - their membership included Q. David Bowers and many other well-known numismatists. The back issues of the E-Sylum are on their website and provide lots of fun reading!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Interesting. I would have considered the glueing in of a bookplate to be more damaging than blindstamping.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Conder,

There were at least a few NBS members who shared your view.

Considering it was about what many would consider a rather arcane point, it was a rather spririted discussion!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I use bookplates in most of my hardback books.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file