Home Autographs Forum

How can you authenicate a Richard Nixon autograph?

Bought one today, a signed photo with it likely made out to a campaign contributor. Did they autopen then?

David

Comments

• Yes they did.
  • post a scan.

billy
  • I will try to tonight

David
  • here it is
  • Hi,
    as I suspected, this is definitely an Autopen variety. See attached link to Autopen varieties
    Yours is the example on the left - 8th down. I didn't bother copying them and reposting them here as it is a pretty simple diagnosis - if you don't believe me PM me and I will send you the scans oriented to show it is indeed not handsigned. Autopens can sign anything flat with almost any type of pen - Ballpoint, Sharpie, even Fountain. The machine can sign in slighlty different places to give an authentic look, and it was designed to indent the paper and even smear to look real - another trick is to jar the machine while signing so each one will have a little variation - but they are as identical as templates because that is how they are made. From an actual example of the signature a metal template is cut - this serves as a sort of "jig" for the machine. It can't do curves very well - curves under magnification often are jagged. Most modern signatures today, especially celebrities and politicians especially, use Autopen which are sold as genuine - I have proved its use in Hollywood as early as 1944. It was in use already in Washington at that time. I also wrote a pretty cool article debunking the most common Judy Garland Fan Club Autopen which is regularly sold by "legitimate" auction houses as genuine. With macro scans and all - even examples in the two colors of ink she emplyed - Autopen blue which is a dead giveaway, and the black used here as well. I have received letters of thanks from people - strangers - who have saved a sum of about $8,000 by using that article to get refunds image Many Dealers charge $15-$20 for an opinion from a scan like this Nixon - I do it free in the hope of attracting customers - how old fashioned is that image

Best,
    Magikbilly
  • Bummer, got taken for 85 bucks.

• << <i>Bummer, got taken for 85 bucks. >>

Sorry David image
    Did you really think you were getting an item worth from $150 to something like $350 - for $85? Did you buy this from a UACC Registered Dealer or welll established dealer with checkable references and get a receipt with a return priviledge in writing? Because if you did not - you did this to yourself. Nixon Autopens are well known. As you know, a COA is as meaningless and only as good as the person who issues it. I gently suggest more reading before you buy again - I knew this was an Autopen before I found the template just from the appearance of the strokes. Did you buy this on eBay or online? I may be able to help if so image

Best,
    Magikbilly
  • nope, from a consignment shop in greenwich, ct. No returns on it. Did buy another autograph nixon letter from a place down the street for 150 that I sold to a dealer for 550 without probs.

David

• << <i>nope, from a consignment shop in greenwich, ct. No returns on it. Did buy another autograph nixon letter from a place down the street for 150 that I sold to a dealer for 550 without probs.

David >>

I hope you mean a TLS because an autographed letter signed is worth well over $1500 - some as high as $4000 image

Billy
  • Yes, a typed letter about his committment to the Boy Scouts of America.
  • Hi there,
    pardon the question but how did you get fooled by the Autopen - was it framed or something? Most presidential letters are form of one sort or another and are known to be Autopenned - Autopens usually exhibits so many indicators of its origin.
    Do you collect only presidential/political? I have a large vintage Hollywood collection starting with a Dracula still from 1932 and a red fountain-inked SIG. I also have a Garland and a Vivien Leigh, the complete cast of Lifeboat and many other vintage movies and shows. I also collect original unpublished candid photographs. I have several Judy Garland, Abbott and Costello, Oliver Hardy and tons more. What else do you have?

Billy