Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1952 Topps Set 100% Complete, But Not Done Yet!

I just added two cards that got me to 100% on my 1952 Topps set. My set is currently ranked #14 with a 6.32 GPA and is one of only 12 complete 1952 Topps Basic sets on the registry in any grade.

Right now the set has 11 PSA 8's, 180 PSA 7's, 191 PSA 6's, and 25 PSA 5's. There are no qualified cards and nothing below a PSA 5. Notable PSA 7's include Pafko, Rizutto, Spahn, Klu, Feller, Yogi, Mays, Doby, Campy, Reese, and Wilhlem. I also have a 1/1 PSA 7 #19 Johnny Bucha, with none graded higher (my submission), and the #71 Upton PSA 6 is also a 1/1 with only 1 graded higher. 30 of the 96 high number cards are 7's, 24 are 5's, and the rest are 6's. The Mantle is a PSA 5.

My longer-term goal is to upgrade to at least 6.50, with 6.75 not unrealistic because given the weighting of the PSA 5 high numbers (generic common high numbers are weighted a "4"), I can cover a lot of ground just by upgrading my PSA 5 high numbers for PSA 7's.

The guts of my set was a complete raw set I submitted at the National last summer, and I had a lot of help from Levi on the upgrades. Nobody in this hobby beats Levi when it comes to 1952 Topps inventory. David Selznick was a big help on some of the final cards.

Anyway, it's pretty exciting to have this one under my belt at 100% and I look forward to gradually getting it upgraded.

If anyone is interested, the set is open and here is the link:

http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=31788&alltime=no&rank=14&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

If the link doesn't work, go to the 1952 Topps Basic set and mine is listed as "Steve's Excellent 1952 Topps Collection".

Steve

Comments

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Congrats Steve, that's a great set. It should be fun to upgrade and move up in the standings. Here's the link:

Steve's 1952 Topps Set
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    And I was excited that I'm almost at 50% on PSA 5 thru 7 55 Topps set. Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on such a major accomplishment. I took a look at your other sets......WOW! what a great collection.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Steve, truly an excellent set indeed !!

52 Topps set in ExMt + and verified by PSA as such, any collector would be proud.

From the classic modern "golden" era, 51-80 roughly, the 1952 Topps set is probably the most popular and desirable. From an informal, unscientific survey it seems that, in date order, the 53 Bowman, 56 Topps, 62 Topps, 65 Topps, 67 Topps, 71 Topps, and 75 Topps are distant rivals in collector interest and pursuit.

Sincere congrats, and once again I more fully realize my sets are crap, in comparison to yours and many more !!

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve, truly an excellent set indeed !!

52 Topps set in ExMt + and verified by PSA as such, any collector would be proud.

From the classic modern "golden" era, 51-80 roughly, the 1952 Topps set is probably the most popular and desirable. From an informal, unscientific survey it seems that, in date order, the 53 Bowman, 56 Topps, 62 Topps, 65 Topps, 67 Topps, 71 Topps, and 75 Topps are distant rivals in collector interest and pursuit.

Sincere congrats, and once again I more fully realize my sets are crap, in comparison to yours and many more !!
    Congrats on a amazing set ! .....................Robbie
    image >>

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve, that is a great achievement. I met Steve briefly once last year, and I could tell that he was a passionate collector with excitement and generosity to spare.

Lamont - you should be proud as well. Getting to 50% on ANY set, especially a regular issue 50's set is fantastic.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    are going to go after the master set?
  • Options
    Wow! Congrats!
    Someday, I hope to accomplish something like that too.

Do you feel like its the end of a long journey? Is your enthusiasm for the set as strong as it was at the beginning?
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    You completed the granddaddy of all sets. Way to go!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Awesome job, Steve! image
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Pfft, I think the 1988 set was a better accomplishment.

Just kidding, Steve. Let me add my congrats on accomplishing something that I can only dream about.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    its a beauty!

congrats!

i was checking some of your other sets and you quite a collection from Goudeys to kellogs!

Try adding some pictures, at least of the high end or expensive cards.

Would you go after t-206 next?

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    awesome Steve!
    wtg
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Oh sure he gets all the accolades for his set, and I don't hear anything metioning my 1988 complete set - thanks for all the great support !! image
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    52 set is a overrated....look...not too many peopple have a 1988 set like jaybyrd does.....

loth
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    'ATTA BOY Steve....

(somehow...I knew you could...image...)...

KING
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Terrific job, man!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 11, 2017 6:07PM
    nice set
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Wildcat,
    What a cool idea! That needs to be brought up to the powers that be. By the way, I saw your email address in your post. Do you teach in Detroit?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Steve--
    Can you tell me what the deal is with your Bucha and Upton? When I look at other sets on the registry, I find 8s with 20 and 12 such copies, respectively. Do they have a special notation or something?

Congratulations, BTW. Excellent set. How long did it take? And would you mind sharing the price of your Mantle?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    Steve,
    What a great set and congratulations to you for sticking with it.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 11, 2017 6:07PM
    nice set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great job Steve!!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks gang, I really appreciate all of the bon mots.

To answer some questions, first, no, I'm not going after a master set. For some reason they have never interested me and I'm happy with the 'lil ole basic set.Aslo, I do plan on sticking with it through upgrades, but it really isn't a top priority right this moment because I have a few other sets I want to either complete or upgrade ahead of it.

Helio, about those pop #'s: Those were the pops listed in my registry account, but it was pointed out to me in a different venue that those reflect the reclassification the registry is doing between the RB's and the BB's, something I totally forgot about and will be adjusted as that reclassification is expanded. Nice to look at, for sure, but not completely accurate for the moment.

Building the original raw set from which this set originated took about 7 to 9 months back in 2000. I bought the graded Mantle at the June 2000 Richmond show in lieu of buying a raw card to submit. There are too many bogus Mantles out there and I figured it was best to buy a graded one and get it over with. I think it cost around $7,000 at the time. Once the cards came back this summer I used anything lower than PSA 5 as trade material, and also later got rid of many PSA 5's as upgrades became available. When I get around to it I will focus my upgrades on getting rid of the PSA 5 high numbers in exchange for PSA 7's. Doing that will have a lot of bang for the buck GPA-wise due to the weightings of the high number cards.

SW

SW

• Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Great set ! WOW ! Is all I can say that set is incredible. I can only dream of owning a set like that. Upgrades are always nice!!

James
    x
  • Options
    Great job Steve! Another big one complete!
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Fantastic job! Congratulations Steve!
  • Options
    Steve- Congrats on the great achievement!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Steve, That is indeed a great accomplishment. Congratulations and I wish you enjoyment of this set for years to come .

Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Now that youve finished the big post war set...time to move on to the big pre war set...

T206 here you come!!
  • Options
    Major,

I actually made a big pick up for my 1933 Goudey set yesterday by adding a PSA 6 #160 Gehrig. I now have all of the Ruth and Gehrig cards, and also have permission from the wife to go after the next PSA 5 or 6 Lajoie card that pops up (like that's going to happen anytime soon..)

Steve

PS: BRING BACK VARGAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Machodoc - but do you have permission to come back if you go after the Lajoie?

Congratulations on a great set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.