Home Q & A Forum

carolj...file names being changed when uploaded, help please.

When I upload photo files, some of the file names are being changed to a funny file name that cannot be recognized. All my photos are jpg and it doesn't do it to all of them, just some, which makes it even worse. It places some at the top of my listing and some at the bottom. The ones it places at the top start out with an A and dont have any number sequence to them. Thanks in advance. image
Wayne

Comments

• Wayne,

I really don't know the answer but I'll see if anyone in the IT department can help.

Carol
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Carol, problem solved on my end. Evidently if a file doesn't start with (DSCN) or end with (JPEG), PCGS server renames the file for me. Don't ask me why as I don't understand it myself. A couple weeks ago I remember someone on the US Coin Forum was having the same problem but it was just mentioned in a thread, not in the title of a post. I couldn't find it for reference before making this question on the Q & A Forum. Anyway, thanks for your reply and concern. Have a nice day. image
    Wayne
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    This happens when you're uploading a file with a name that has already been used on another upload; the server gives it a new name like ACF____.jpg

So if you're using obvious names for pictures, like morganobv.jpg and morganrev.jpg, for example, this will happen all the time.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Carol,
    I've noticed it, too. I believe it happens when the the filename is already in use.

On another note, I have a file saved that I messed up and there's a comma in it:
    1907-ihc,jpg.jpg
    I've tried to delete it, but cannot. If you or the IT can delete that file for me, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Barry