Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

windfall

Recieved a windfall the other day, about a Grand. allways wanted to buy one high end coin, now's my chance. this coin is going in my will, so it's not going to be flipped. Two I'am thinking of, or have looked at. One is a 1885-cc the other is a 1899-p, both are morgans and are PCGS 65's ,the 1899 is PL. Both are around $800.00, $850.00. This is a lot of money, and I would like some advice. I know I could pay bills, but they will always be there. As of now I've never paid more than a hundred bucks for a coin, anyway do you people think this is a good deal , or should I be looking elseware. This is going to be (probably) the biggest coin deal of my life, so I want to be sure or at least close. So what do you think, one of these morgans ,or should I be looking at Barbers, S VBD's. Now's my chance and I'am going to go for it....

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    get a KEY date coin, problem free, and authenticated by one of the big 3.
  • Options
    Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the '85-CC, assuming the eye appeal is close. The PL on the other one is nice, but the CC mint mark will probably hold its value better/longer.

I want a windfall!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, you have two issues to consider here:
    1. Since you're going to keep the coin for life, buy what you really like, what you enjoy looking at from time to time, regardless of the investment angle..
    2. However, If you're more concerned with $$ return, buy what you think is the best long-term investment.

Long-term, I don't see how you can go wrong with CC Morgans. But, buy the highest PCGS OR NGC grade you can get for the bucks.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    key date.....i agree.
    the `85 cc in 65 sounds great!!!

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    If it were between the two Morgans, that's a tough call. Morgans are VERY heated right now and most of the high pop semi-keys will probably do a down turn in the event of a correction. But since you're going to die (hopefully in the distant future) owning the coin, the question becomes which will show the best appriciation for then. Emmm, the 85CC has a lot of demand, but there's a lot of them... and most of them are MS. The 99 is pretty much the same, but with a little less demand. I'd say, if it came down to those two, I'd probably take the 1899 PL.

Ah what the heck, buy the one with the most eye appeal image. I stare at my MS64 1880-S more than my VF30 1893-S. I'll probably die owning both (I'm 30 in good health.) So where's the better investment?

David
  • Options
    85cc
    Michael
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a thousand bucks burning a hole in my pocket, it wouldn't be for a Morgan. I'd buy a Saint.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    You could always buy a darn nice $500 coin and pay the bills with the extra.... nahh!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to agree with Baley on this one. Maybe just buy a 100 oz. silver bar. But bottom line is that I can't think of any US coin that would be a solid bet to double in the coming years, at least not one worth $800 at the moment. PM's imo have the best chance to do something based on trending. The MS63-64 Saint is not a bad play.
    You mentioned Barbers so I'll toss in that gem MS65 Barber dime at $500-550 doesn't seem like a risky proposition and they still have the potential to double in price. It's one of the cheapest type silver type coins available and everyone needs one for a set. I'd still go with the Saint though. Either wait for the next dip or jump in now.

To me the 1899 PL is a hands down winner over the 85cc. Even if not PL the pop difference between those 2 is 10 to 1. If you toss in the PL it becomes 100:1. The 85cc is jacked in price because of speculation in the current "new" market. Yeah, they are popular, but the 1899 hasn't yet budged in this market and it's always been a key date. Better date Morgans haven't yet participated in the current market. But even with over 1000 coins in MS65 betw the services, the 1899 may be too common now for long term growth imo. I'd much rather see a pop of 50 or less in a popular series. Go with the PL coin and you have the potential to swing that into play.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>get a KEY date coin, problem free, and authenticated by one of the big 3. >>

Goose image

Baley's advice is pretty good too.

I'll bet you could get a decent 1896s quarter in mid range (perhaps F12) and entombed in third party plastic.

That's the coin that will be increasing in value in the future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file