Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is anything wrong here?

I admit I know little to nothing about this hobby yet but I am learning a little more everyday thanks to you guys here. I ran across this on ebay tonight. Am I seeing things or is this really possible?? WHAT? I hope I did the linky dink thing right.

Card hobby Rookie, Tim

P.S........Happy New Year!

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    What is wrong is that the seller's reserve still hasn't been met. Let's see . . . I could have this or a complete set of (fill in the blank vintage PSA graded set).
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Perhaps another case of Beckett giving one of their "field correspondents" a card to put out on eBay with an absurd price, just so they can write about it. Yes, some of their "correspondents" are dealers. Whether this sells or not, they get good ink out of it. Is a BGS 10 Bonds worth $25,000 more than PSA 10? Of course not. But this is what Beckett's masturb -- I mean marketing -- is all about.

A couple points of curiosity -- nothing more than curiosity. There's some pretty low-feedback guys with $20,000+ in their pockets to buy a 1986 card. And one of the guys bidding this up into stratosphere, most of his own auctions are private. Not necessarily an indication of anything, just interesting that private auctions are where he lives on eBay.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    its a bloody scam.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    image Boy, this is a weird hobby, isn't it? $25,000+ for a dime a dozen card from the 80's, graded by a service known for grading trimmed cards (and preferential service), and being bid on by a slew of low feedback bidders. Jrdolan has this one pegged.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK guys...25K will get you a seat in any WPT event and then you also get to to have Shana Hiatt sit on your...errr poker chip!

imageimage

That's how I'm spending my imaginery 25K!

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

jr do u mean he sells in are private?
    all the pvt feedback auctions were from buyers

jaysace and novelty cards the same person by any chance?

most of the auctions he bids in are private
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Oops, yes, I meant that bidder keeps his own auctions hidden. On the the few that aren't hidden, he sold a couple T-shirts for $4.99. It's just ... interesting ... that a guy with 18 feedback (mostly private) who sold a couple T-shirts is now bidding up to $25,000 for an '86 Bonds. Not claiming anything about this is fishy, no sir. I just think the whole thing is ... interesting.

On a completely different topic, anyone remember the Payola scandal in the music industry? You know, where the record companies paid radio stations to play their songs over and over? I was just wondering if anything like that has ever happened in our hobby -- artificial manipulation of the market for monetary gain. Totally unrelated to this, just too lazy to start another thread.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol wasn't payola game show related? or was the music industry in one as well?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Gimme a 52 Topps Mantle PSA 5 over that card .... or even a 67 Mantle PSA 9.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Wow...geez....there is so much more I could do with $25K than spend it on a 1986 Topps Traded Bonds...even if it were made of pure gold! Especially spending it on a steroid filled egomaniac!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JR
    I kind of remember the payola thing...even Dick Clark was implicated but was found to have done nothing wrong.
    Paying to have the song played...isn't that advertising? image
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Just thought I would let you know, I have a raw one I'd sell for a starting bid of....oh....say....$1,000.00...any takers??? LOLOL
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    even Dick Clark was implicated but was found to have done nothing wrong

Clark skated. He most definitely was involved, but was not the goat that was chosen to be sacrificed.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Where were you guys when some genius paid $125,000 for a PSA 10 Tiger Woods 1996 SI card? image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Okay, now there just has to be something wrong with this. The high bidder, at a mind-blowing $25,099 has a feedback rating of 9, of which his biggest purchase to date has been $30.00!. I'd say more, but I really don't think I need to.
  • Options
    12 hours to go...should I bid?? image
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, now there just has to be something wrong with this. The high bidder, at a mind-blowing $25,099 has a feedback rating of 9, of which his biggest purchase to date has been $30.00!. I'd say more, but I really don't think I need to. >>

Come on now, he didn't ONLY buy a CD player for $30, he also sold a $10 Borders Gift Card his mother gave him for $8. Poor mom, she would be heartbroken. Anyway, with that kind of eBay experience, don't you think he could have saved his lawn-mower money to pay $25,000 for a 1986 Bonds card? You are so skeptical!

I must formally retract all my doubts about this card, and vehemently deny that this is all a Beckett stunt to use "field correspondents" to drum up publicity and artificially pump up the market for BGS 10 cards. I no longer believe any of that. I would rather have this '86 Bonds than a '52T Mantle in PSA 8. You know why? Because there are a small but decent number of those PSA 8 Mantle rookies out there, but how many of these BGS 10 Bonds? Do the math. The Bonds is worth much more than the Mantle. I have seen the light.

By the way, I'd like to announce I have a BGS 10 Derek Jeter '93 SP rookie going up on eBay soon. Opening bid is a low $20,000. I should also mention, in the interests of full disclosure, that I am now (temporarily) a Beckett "field correspondent."
  • Options
    What exactly is a Beckett field correspondent?
  • Options
    Just collectors and dealers who buy and sell cards (graded and otherwise), and report their big-dollar deals to Beckett in hopes of seeing them in print. Others are just eBay watchers who know the kind of things Beckett want for publication. Of course, the higher the bidding goes, the more likely it will get in the magazine.