Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stop the Coin Vault Madness!! SAE's

Just got home, hit the remote, got CV on TV: 500 2005 SAE's for $8,999.99 (that's $18 each) BUT, they are "early die states!"

I'm making a New Year's resolution: Get these rip-off artists off the air! They are hurting our hobby!!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Mike
Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm making a New Year's resolution: Get these rip-off artists off the air! They are hurting our hobby!!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Mike >>

More power to you. I really think that are a bunch of scum, but free enterprise is free enterprise
  • Options
    I agree LL on the free enterprise comment, and I'm a strong supporter of it. I guess it just bugs me when I know there are naive "wannabe" collectors who are getting ripped and may never develop a love for the hobby because of a bad first experience.

Caveat emptor! (Yet, it still bugs me.......)

Mike
    Coppernicus

• Options
    I have to agree with you on this one. My wife and I like to tune in on occasion just to laugh at all the ridiculous deals. I really hate it when they mishandle those mint state coins with their bare hands...makes me cringe. Like any decent numismatist would hold a coin like that. Ughh! Not sure there is anything that can be done short of just educating as many people as we can.

Best to you in the New Year!
    Frank

E PLVRIBVS VNVM
  • Options
    I get a kick out of coin vault too and I shouldn't laugh because it is really sad. Sometimes I watch those other guys instead. Who are they? Coin Country Network I think. They were on last night.
  • Options
    I've got to confess that I was a "victim" of Coin Vault about 3-4 years ago. They were advertising a Lincoln 1909-VDB in an "educatonal" holder, combined with a complete set of 1941-1958 circulated wheats in a folder, a 1909-1940 folder (empty), and a pound (about 150 cents) of "unsearched" wheats. On TV, they were digging through the "representative" pound and saying things like, "Oh, and here's a 1919", and "Here's a 1924", etc.

It was $99 plus about $8 S/H. I bit!!

The '09-VDB was a Fine (at best), the complete set of '41-58 averaged VF, and in the pound of "unsearched" wheats, there was NOT ONE dated prior to 1941. So my '09-'40 folder remained empty.

Live and learn! Although, I must admit that I did get motivated to get back into collecting in a big way, so maybe the $100+ was worth it?

Mike
    Coppernicus

• Options
    I know how you feel. I've watched CV myself and just sit and shake my head at their "Great Deals". image Same goes for all those ebay sellers who sell nothing but coins graded by inferior grading services yet quote PCGS price guide prices to their buyers. And the sad part is that is is simply a lack of knowledge by the buyers. Ive seen many auctions where coins go for what they would pay for PCGS graded coins but instead they end up with coins which are probably 2 grades off and worth a fraction of what they paid. It makes me so mad they they don't even have to say that the prices they quote are for PCGS graded coins.image

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL!!!!

MAY 2005 BRING YOU HAPPINESS AND GOOD HEALTH !!!

Doug
  • Options
    lincolns(Doug) - Too funny! - Your comment on the ebay sellers. Last month, I saw a 1958-P Lincoln in a "PGS MS69" holder up for auction. I bid somethinng like $5.00 and I won it. I got it the other day and it's a Coin World holder, the PGS must stand for "Paul's Grading Service" and the best part is that the insert isn't even for a cent! It's a nickel-sized insert so the cent just flops around and rattles.

BTW, the Lincoln cent is described on the label as "MS69, Full Red, Full Strike" but is a 64RD at best, average strike, and a bit spotty!

So I guess I am confessing my "sins" tonight - but sometimes when I do something really stupid, I have to laugh at myself!!

Happy New Year to all, and my resolution is to try to be not so stupid from now on!!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

• Options
    Mike,
    I seen a service today called IRI. "Investment Rarities Inc. Was a 1913 2 1/2 Gold. Seller said they were one of the first slabbers of coins. Never heard of them, how 'bout you? A 4th rate grading service? Gosh 4th rate, how far can we go??
  • Options
    i hate it so much..but love coins...so i watch, but never buy..i wish there was a cable network just for coins......
  • Options
    lincolns - I just noticed your message count - Welcome to the boards! You can learn a lot here. Two suggestions: 1) turn on your Private Message(PM) setting by going to your Profile, and 2) check out my Lincoln Registry Set, link:

Link

Welocome and Happy New Year!!

Mike

Coppernicus

• Options
    They had nice tuxedos on last night (and this morning). Someone has to pay for those rentals.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they have a toll free number, call it and order a screw job or ask for the bilk sales department image. When they ask what that is then tell em you were callin about the TeeVee special. I have no idea what their overhead is and I'm sure it aint cheap but $18 apiece for bulk ASE's is a screw job.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I stopped watching when they replaced the lady hostess with the youg kid. Its just boring now.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    The real question is "Are these guys helping or hurting the hobby?".

My immediate reaction is that they are simply ripping people off thereby putting a black eye on our hobby. However, they are introducing many people to collecting.

We've all been ripped off at some point in our numismatic lives and yet we are still here.

Of course, nobody knows how many potential collectors have been forever turned off by a bad coin deal.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I seen a service today called IRI. "Investment Rarities Inc. >>

I saw a thread with this company in it a week or so ago.
    From what I understood,they were one of the first grading companys,and they're "slabs" are highly sought after by slab type collectors.They sell for high dollar.

Here it is.
  • Options
    I could'nt reply without saying smoething about CV.

They really erk me with they're $29 each dipped out XF-AU Morgans that have "sold elsewhere for $69.95" image

I'd like to see them booted too.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I walked out into the living room earlier, and Sally had this on (or one of the similar ones). I took one look and almost had a laughing fit. Three ICG "MS70" eagles, a SAE, a 1/10 gold eagle, and a 1/10 platinum eage. Total price? $700 +s/h. image
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997

<< <i>I walked out into the living room earlier, and Sally had this on (or one of the similar ones). I took one look and almost had a laughing fit. Three ICG "MS70" eagles, a SAE, a 1/10 gold eagle, and a 1/10 platinum eage. Total price? $700 +s/h. image >>

LMAO! Oh dear god. Maybe it's just the sprits in me talking, but that is freaking hilarious. I have a great quality SAE, 1/10 oz. GAE, 1/10 oz. PAE, SAE Proof, 1/4 oz GAE Proof, and 1/10 oz. PAE Proof that cost a total of about half of that cost. lol.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    The coin liars take State quarters layer them in gold then put them in an album and tell you what a great investment this is going to be. "We are exclusively the only home shopping network that sells them in gold"

Wait until the poor slobs who believed their spiel try to sell these plated coins and they are told that these sets have no numismatic value either now or ever. I dont expect that they will be too happy to learn this.
    I wish there was a way to pull the plug on these jerks.image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I saw them pawning platinum plated quarters for an even more ridiculous price than the gold plated quarters. These guys thrive on the numismatic ignorant.
  • Options
    I agree. I'm pretty new to coins, and just about bit on the CV special of the day about 3-4 weeks ago. It was a set of American Eagles that they had marked down to ridiculous levels that no one in the office could believe. I actually started thinking it was an awesome deal. Until I fired up my laptop and found at least two on-line coin shops (and probably not the best place to buy in the first place) were beating their price. And guess what. Right after that they brought out the gold Peace and Keelboat Nickels. That did it right there. That personally irritates me to know end. I can't stand when people ruin perfectly good coins. But that's just me.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I agree. I'm pretty new to coins, and just about bit on the CV special of the day about 3-4 weeks ago. It was a set of American Eagles that they had marked down to ridiculous levels that no one in the office could believe. I actually started thinking it was an awesome deal. Until I fired up my laptop and found at least two on-line coin shops (and probably not the best place to buy in the first place) were beating their price. And guess what. Right after that they brought out the gold Peace and Keelboat Nickels. That did it right there. That personally irritates me to know end. I can't stand when people ruin perfectly good coins. But that's just me. >>

I agree, gold and platinum plating sucks.and by the way. image
    If you can read this, your too close.

A DAMMIT BOY from Jonesy 1/25/05

Lieutenant, Covert Operations
    Subcommittee

my first POTD award 7/16/05
    the cat ate my blue fish.
  • Options
    Coin Vault had a deal couple weeks back that really wasnt bad.

20 Morgs
    20 Peace
    20 Silver Certs

400 bucks

Most of time it's over priced crap though !

Fun to watch in the middle of the night though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file