Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Digi-cam, and man alive, I love it.

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
After using the same old technology camera since 1997 or 98, I decided to jump in with both feet.

I was thinking about getting one of the Digital SLRs but I just can't justify a grand on a camara.

I was also thinking about a Panasonic (I forget the model, but it's been discussed on the forums recently).

But decided (since I'm an Olympus bigot) to get the Olympus C-675 UltraZoom. 10X optical zoom, 2 levels of macro, 7 exposure modes. There are lots more features too. I also added a 256MB and 512MB card for it to get lots of storage.

Here are some of the first pics I took. No special lighting, just livingroom light with auto-white balance.

My favorite eagle

The most awsome bridge I've ever seen

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Looks like some great pics. Once you venture into the digital realm, it's hard to go back to film.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I couldn't justify going to a DSLR either, even though my new camera is a Christmas gift. Very nice images, and that camera has pretty good reviews. What type of card does it use?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    NICE pics!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking pics. Nice detail.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i> What type of card does it use? >>

It uses an XD card, which sort of bummed me out at first because it's about twice the price of SD cards.

But I liked the features of the camara and as I said, I am an Olympus bigot.
  • Options
    That's the card that Sally's D395 uses, and they are more expensive now. That's why I like the Nikons, for now they appear to be sticking with the CF cards.
  • Options
    By the way, you did mean C-765, right?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have an OLY 5060. I think it takes a couple different types of cards if I'm not mistaken

does the type of card have any effect on the image quality?
  • Options

<< <i>does the type of card have any effect on the image quality? >>

No. The only difference in different cards are their capacity and speed.
  • Options

I don't think so, I believe the different cards will have something to do with write speed (but probably not overy noticable unless using very high quality mode) and the maximum card size available.

The 765 has a bunch of different quality picture modes, in one, the 640x480 I can store over 1000 images on the 512 card. In the larges image size, uncompressed TIFF file, it'll only store 9 images. Kinda blew my mind. I'll have to shoot one of those just to see what difference that image size makes.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, you did mean C-765, right? >>

Yeah, dislexic fingers
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't think so, I believe the different cards will have something to do with write speed (but probably not overy noticable unless using very high quality mode) and the maximum card size available.

The 765 has a bunch of different quality picture modes, in one, the 640x480 I can store over 1000 images on the 512 card. In the larges image size, uncompressed TIFF file, it'll only store 9 images. Kinda blew my mind. I'll have to shoot one of those just to see what difference that image size makes. >>

On the web, the higher quality settings are useless, monitors can only display images at a certain resolution, I believe it is 72dpi. The only time you want to record images in those higher resolutions is if you are going to have prints made. For showing on the web, the normal setting is fine.
  • Options
    Interesting info on the image vs monitor capability.

I hadn't even thought about that, but it makes sense.

I also picked up an HP 8150 Photosmart printer, so maybe I'll see if there's any difference in that output.
  • Options
    In the case of your printer, you will be limited by the resolution of the printer. If you want really good prints, use your highest image quality, then transfer the images from your XD card to a CD, and take the CD to a photo developing store for prints. What is the highest setting for that camera, .tif images?
  • Options
    Yes, I believe the upcompressed tif is the highest, but I'm still learning so I might be wrong there.

The printer can do 4800x<something> (I forget the other resolution).

Probably not as high as the equipment at a photolab, but still pretty good.
  • Options
    If it's that high, get some nice glossy paper for it, shoot some images in uncompressed .tif format, and see how it does.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics, and coins, too. That's a sharp Flyer, there. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file