Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Napoleon: And four more medals...

1790 Constitution Liberte. Though I don't usually collect filler medals this one is an exception because it's the first I've seen in person in 30 years of collecting. This piece was struck to commemorate the fête that took place in Paris one year after the storming of the Bastille. Contemporary descriptions confirm that it was one of the silliest public events of all time, yet, the participants took it very seriously and this piece probably was carried around in someone's pocket for decades.

1813 Arquebuse de Château-Thierry, France. I think this is a 'jeton de presence' for a local militia, undoubtedly called up in the unsettled days following Napoleon's disaster in Russia. Also not the greatest of condition but the next two should make up for that. image

1806 Suprême conseil de la 33e loge, France. A stunning Masonic medal that is rare even though it's a restrike!

And finally,
1811 Prix de l'Athénée de Vaucluse, France. This is a prize medal that I've never seen awarded to anyone. I've always thought it quite beautiful though, if the woman a bit stilted in the way she was engraved.
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments