Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern PR70's

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and have been lurking in the background for a little while, but I have a few questions about modern proofs. When you have a PCGS graded PR70DCAM, are your coins exactly perfect in every respect? I've bought some 2004 quarters (resales) and they look great to the naked eye, but when taking a look through a 10X lens, some things don't look so good. I've seen slight hazing in the field, nicks in the field, a nick in the bust, etc. I have heard that you should buy the coin and not the holder, but how do you reconcile a PR70 tag with the coin in the holder. Am I being too picky? Or are these anonamlies accepted by the TPGers? How easy is it to counterfeit a PCGS/NGC holder? I recently received a PR70 Keelboat Nickel that had a what looked like a water droplet spot in the field(that could be seen without magnification), but was able to send it back without any problem. I am relatively new to the hobby and I enjoy the forum and learning as much as possible.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The stated PCGS standard for PR70 is no flaws visible under 5X magnification.

The real standard is where did the dart land on the board.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

No coin will be perfect under 10x. You are being too pickyimage
    Becky
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

There's really no such thing as perfect so PR-70's aren't equal, but there won't be much difference though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    image to the forum.
    Wayne
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'm glad I found this forum. It's great. So many things to learn about.
    Mike
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Redflyer65.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I have a few PCGS PRD70DCAM, and I compared them very hard to 69's and 68's for the same coins and year. and they look perfect to me.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    No one will ever convince me of a difference between MS69 and MS70 with the modern coins. I believe, and always will, that MS70s are handed out on a percentage basis. It's all in the luck of the draw.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    post some pics with cert. numbers, redflyer65
  • Options
    Sorry it took so long to post the pics, had to work to support my hobby. Literally. Fields on the bottom have have a haze, and there is a small visible nick in the neck of ole George. What ya think? Proof 70? imageimageimageimage
    Mike
  • Options
    I don't think the haze would prevent that coin from being a 70, though I wouldn't want haze on my PR 70 DCAMs. I can't see any nick in the photo. If you have good eyes and a good light you can see very tiny details. If you can see a nick with your eye then that coin isn't a PR 70.

I would bet I can tell the difference between a PR 68 and a PR 70 with very good accuracy. If anybody can't appreciate the difference between a PR 68 and a PR 69 they probably shouldn't buy any 70s.
  • Options
    Now I see the nick on the neck. It looks like it was minted like that. Still a 70 should be perfect. That quarter looks like it might be a 69 to me... In my experience PCGS has been very good with their grade guarantee. If I couldn't return the quarter I would probably send it to PCGS for a grade review.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Nice Pictures Also!!! What kind of camera are you using? Thanks, Lee
  • Options
    Thanks for opinion Carl. The camera is an older Nikon Coolpix 995. It has a macro function. It took me alot longer getting the pictures to post than it did actually taking them. I used information that I learned on the forum about lighting, and it seemed to work out well.
    Mike
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    It certainly looks nice to me. I think the difference between a 70 and a 69 comes with the level of cameo frost. Really thick frost needed for the 70 grade.

Several years ago I had a PR70 date run of 1960 through 1964 washingtons, and over several years I had handled about one-quarter of all of the known pr70s. I can tell you this: not all PR70s are equal.

welcome, cheers, alan mendelson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file