Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS care if you put the coin inside a poly bag inside the flip?

Submit the old fashion way, in a poly bag inside a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2?

Just curious...

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Sure. That's how they treat body bags. image
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Sure. That's how they treat body bags. image >>

My body bags recently have been just inside a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2, no poly bag inside..

By recently I mean in the past year, I really haven't submitted recently. Am just going to send in an AU Barber Half for the quarterly special to put it in plastic and already had it 'packed up' for ANACS, just wondering if I need to remove it from the poly bag or just tossing a sticker on the flip will be fine.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    No, they don't care. It's the submitter's risk, not theirs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks, didn't think so, just wanted a definite answer to make sure before I sent it. It's a toned business stike, so I'm not really concerned about the proof hazing 'risk'.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, they don't care. It's the submitter's risk, not theirs.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, submitters risk, what do you mean by this ?

I did notice that they do not send the little poly bags anymore. I went out and got some.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No, they don't care. It's the submitter's risk, not theirs.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, submitters risk, what do you mean by this ?

I did notice that they do not send the little poly bags anymore. I went out and got some.

Ken >>

They sent out a notice a year? or so ago saying that the poly bags can possibly cause hazing on proof coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, submitters risk, what do you mean by this ? >>

Some polybags contain contaminants that can cause haze on proof coins. That's why PCGS started recommending against their use.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yep, with polybags you're risking your coins you are submitting.
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    A haze forms on high grade uncirculated moderns if you use polybags. I know. image
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, with polybags you're risking your coins you are submitting. >>

Granted, I don't submit proofs, but I've submitted over 400 coins to anacs in the past using the poly bag system and have never had a single 'issue' arise from it or a coin damaged in any way, are you just refering to proof hazing when you say this or is there more to it?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Mostly hazing, but the same things that cause haze may have causal factors in other problems. Think of it this way, it's one more thing to scrape against the surface on the coin's journey to slabdom.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Russ, submitters risk, what do you mean by this ? >>

Some polybags contain contaminants that can cause haze on proof coins. That's why PCGS started recommending against their use.

Russ, NCNE >>

Darn, I'll have hazed Merc Dimes...image Thanks for the explanation.

Ken
  • Options
    Can't believe this came up now, but I'm glad because it confirms my suspicions. After the discussion a couple days ago about pl Lincs of 2003 and 1999, I searched for some 1999d's I had set aside to submit. I had put them in the poly bag (ANACS supplied, thin ones) and flip. Submitted a few, rest went into a corner where I found them the other day, brown haze on my formerly bright red, pl out-of-a-mint-bag beauties. Fortunately, I don't do that usually, just put the cardboard flip where they live in a submission flip when I know it's one that is going in for sure. But those were old bags, very thin, the new ones are thicker and seem like a different material. Probably bad as well. Hope the submission flips from ANACS are OK, they WERE NOT FREE.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192

<< <i>A haze forms on high grade uncirculated moderns if you use polybags. I know. >>

Just great. image Several dealers told me they were safe for long term storage. I have thousands of gem moderns in these (not pop tops, just extra gems). Yeesh!!! What does one have to do to safely store coins?!?!
  • Options
    Use a non-PVC flip and no more - no need to get fancy. Live in the now!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options

<< <i>What does one have to do to safely store coins?!?! >>

ET Kointainer SAFLIPS. Accept no substitute.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I place my coins inside 2 X 2 coin holders and then into 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 Saflips!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file