Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Its Dec 31st....2029...

Those who were born this year will be 25 years old. They may do like me at that age and forsake modern cards for vintage. What will they be paying for for there mantle's and mays's and snider's from the mid 1950's????? Same as us??? less?? Or will they have to Coax us to sell by handing out 50 bucks for psa 6 commons of that era...what do you think??? is there that much raw vintage commons still out there in 6 and up????

Comments

• jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, there will still be a bazillion PSA 9 and 10 cards from the '80s. Maybe two bazillion, since 4_sharp_corners and DSL will have cracked open a few thousand more 1980s vending cases. Then another four decades of Gem Mint cards produced after that (hopefully in more sensible numbers). Notice how, already, a new card has to be deliberately short-printed, or include a piece of game-used bat or an autograph, to be worth a second look? I wonder where this progression is leading us.

Compared to that, the supply of quality vintage (pre-1972) material will be relatively stable. Sure, there are some unopened vintage boxes and some "finds" to come, and some raw collections that may slowly become graded as they are redistributed. Vintage still has some surprises for us. But this is a small drop in a very large bucket.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    2029....Im prolly dead
    Good for you.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Then again, what will be "vintage" in 2029? How funny would it be to look back then at sets like 1988 Topps, and think of it as "vintage"? I really don't know, but I bet that the next generation of collectors won't have as fond memories of the hobby as we do. Today, the hobby is akin to playing the lottery, not collecting.
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i agree....i was only 9 when i started collecting...my first set was 1986 topps football. My dad would be a 1.00 worth of cards (2 packs) every time he would go fill up (just about every day as he drove alot and would top off the tank). SO....I say I prolly opened about 2 boxes worth that year and was able to build a set. I remember JUST COLLECTING. TO me it was a learning experience cause the 85 super bowl was the first football game I had ever watched. Before that i just didnt have an interest in it. At any rate, I was hooked...and continued on the next year in 1987 and got even MORE football cards...those were my 2 biggest collecting years....in fact i have 2 1987 topps sets from packs that i built myself. I loved it and in fact its what i view as the Golden Age of the NFL...when it really started to be the game of america and baseball started to decline....a young montana, elway, young, marino...lots of great rookies.......and the best years for the orginal cleveland browns..my team before they up and left in 95.

woops...got off on a tangent there thinking back to the good ole days.

even though i am young I do remember a time when collecting was just that back in the mid to late 80s before upper deck came along and the market skyrocketed...........it will never be the same for kids today though....
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think POGS!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
    Mike, you have a stash of POGS you're sitting on for retirement? image

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, you have a stash of POGS you're sitting on for retirement? image

image >>

God No!
    But I do have some bombs in the closet! A box of 1991 Stadium Club, couple boxes of 89F Bkb e.g. And of course, purchased when they were on the higher end.

Mike
    Ah, don't worry - we all have done that. I'm still waiting for those 1989 NBA Hoops cards to take off. image
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i still have a few unopened packs of Michael Jordan pogs..

·p_A·
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Mabey that generation won't care to collect cards of players that they never saw.. I collect Mantle.. Orr.. Howe.. but I don't think young guys 25 years from now will. I think they'll be collecting Gretzky, Roy, Bonds, GriffeyJR.. Unless they maybe like the cards from the 1930's to 60's for their unique look.

I think they'll collect them instead because their Dad's will be saying 'boy you should have seen Gretzky play he was the greatest' Just like my dad said to me 'boy you should have seen Orr play he was the greatest'

Oh and I have a whole set of 1994 NHL Hockey POGS complete with slammers from every team all in the same color. Hopefully they'll be worth something in 2029.

• << <i>2029....Im prolly dead >>

Me too....or I'll be in my mid 80s!!

Hell, I don't buy green bananas anymore..image

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA