Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Do You Add Forum Server Pictures to PCGS Registry Sets ??

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to add some photos to my Registry Sets, of coins which I have posted on the U.S. Coin Forum. These photos are already resident on the PCGS server, but I can't figure out how to get them to post on my Registry Sets.

I have already tried to "Edit" the coin listing in the Registry Set, and have tried adding the image's forum http address (with the .jpg suffix ending) to the open dialogue box that allows you to browse for the image -- but no success image

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for your advice!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• I'm not sure how to do it directly, but you could just download them from the website to your local machine, and then upload them from there...
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WACoinGuy: So, are you saying that I cannot use the same http address directly from the photos already residing on the forum server, but that I must somehow upload them directly within the Registry Set application?

I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the pictures still on your machine also ? If so hit the brouse button and retrive the file. It must be the correct size which is below 100 KB I believe. It should go into you set. Don't forget to hit the verify set button when you are done.

Ken
    Ken: Thanks! Do most people use both obverse & reverse photos of their coins, or just a single obverse photo.

I assume that the registry set software will only allow a single image file of the coin, so I guess that I could either post a 100 KByte Obverse image, or a merged single image comprised of 2 x 50 KByte Obv & Rev photos.

Stuart

I give up for tonight on this little project. I can't break through the code to get this to work!! imageimage

Stuart

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Stuart, just shoot your coins, then size each side to 450x450. Merge the two images onto one canvass, then when saving them to JPEGS use 16:1 compression. Using this method I get files from 85-95k which is within the limit for registry images. Here is an example:

Eric: Thanks for the help. That's a really beautiful image of a pretty 1885-O! image

I'll try this again tomorrow after our New Years Eve celebration.

I wish all Forum members to Have a Happy, Healthy, Safe & Propserous New Year 2005!!

Stuart

Are their any special naming convention gotchas??

I'm getting some PCGS error messages about not using special characters like "/,()" etc.

Stuart

Yes.

Name your file with a number or something you can identify. Make sure each file has a different name. If they do not you will get pictures in the wrong place.

Ken
    I think there is Stuart. Since I've had over 1000 Morgans here at one time, to avoid confusion, I name the files like this:

1885o_pcgs64_12345678.jpg

Naming files like this also help once you have saved several thousand images, you can punch in the cert number in the Windows search and find the coin easily.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Stuart I was having the same problem. You have to keep the name of your picture simple, i.e., 1888PGold, 1889CCGold, etc. It should work for you then. Good Luck!!!!!! Lee

K6AZ do you have to have Photoshop to merge the pictures?

Edited for spelling
    On Erics dollar I would name it 1885O. If he had a Philly coin it would be 1885P and so on.

Ken
    What do you do when you have five or six of them? By using the cert number in the file name, you avoid duplication and overwriting other coins of the same date/mint.

<< <i>K6AZ do you have to have Photoshop to merge the pictures? >>

Most image editors have this feature. It is not something you can do in Windows Paint or other lite photo editors.

<< <i>What do you do when you have five or six of them? By using the cert number in the file name, you avoid duplication and overwriting other coins of the same date/mint. >>

I have a folder that is just for Registry Photo's . Duplicates are designated like this. 23P66, 23P65 and so on. Duplicates of the same grade get numbers like this. 23P65, 23P651 and so on. Poor boys like me do not have many duplicates so its not much of a problem...image

The only real problem I have had with this number system is when I forget to delete the photo from the CU Registry site when a coin is sold.

Ken
    Eric: What is the original photo .jpg file size that you are using as a source image before resizing the image to 450 x 450 pixels, and also prior to the 16:1 .jpg compression?

Most of the ones I am currently shooting are ~500 KByte .jpg's when downloaded from the camera.

Stuart

Stuart

The coins in my sig line came out of the camera at 640x480. Then they were cropped to 450x450. Then to make them the right size for the sig they went to 125x125. Basically you can use any size you are happy with just as long as you stay below the CU size limit. I think most of the ones I use in my set are 600x300.

Ken
    Stuart, the 85-O and most of my other images prior to last Tuesday were shot with the Nikon 4300 at 2,272 x 1,704, using normal picture quality, resulting in file sizes of about 800k before cropping and sizing.
    Eric and Ken: Thanks to you both for the excellent assistance that you are providing us through your very informative and helpful posts on this thread!!

I will try your suggestions tomorrow while I am recovering from a late night out celebrating the New Year!! image

Stuart

Eric: Thanks very much for your naming convention and file size suggestions (and Ken's) regarding adding photos to my PCGS Registry Set. I have now successfully added some photos to my Morgan PL/DMPL Registry Set, so with your assistance I have now "deciphered the code" on how to do this.

Please take a look at some of the coins for which photos are now included at: SBG Morgan PL/DMPL Morgan Variety Registry Set

I'll continue to work on improving my photo technique. image

Stuart

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Very nice image

Photos should be a requirement for listing a Registry Set image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file