Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Indian cent attribution: 1868 1/1, not in Snow's book

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I got an 1868 Indian cent from the wife for Xmas and have noticed that the 1 looks repunched. It looks similar (not the same though) to S10 but the lower serifs are notched fairly prominently. Do I have a new variety?

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    Wow, great pics, quite a high quality close-up. Mr. Snow should be able to do an attribution from where he sits. Good luck, very clear separation.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of varieties out there in many series that have not been recognized so they carry no premium. No one cares if they are not "listed". I say hang on to them for a little while or write your own bookimage------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with BigE,althou nice find.
    Al
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    First off -- great close-up!

The date position against the bust and denticles matches the S10, as does the doubling of the 1 and very faint doubling of the first 8 in the upper loop. I also see some of the 'string of pearls' caused by "lint or thread getting caught between the hub and die" in the beads above the bust, the major attribute of the S10. BUT: the string is weaker than usually seen and the the obverse die crack that connects the bases of the 186 also includes the last 8 on your coin. And the reverse die cracks don't match up. A later die state of the S10 obverse and an earlier die state of the reverse?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Great photo and a certain 1/1.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I PM'd Rick with this stuff too. I'm not convinced it's S10 because of the splitting of the lower serifs that aren't mentioned on the description of s10. Also, the date on the s10 in the book look closer to the bust and farther from the denticles. We'll see what the boss says.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file