Options

Coin specifications from title 31

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few may find this interesting.
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read it and didn't see any mention that coins should be ugly, have low relief, and overall just suck... so it IS legal to make nice coins... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Hmmm. Something caught my eye in that specification that was a bit strange. They mentioned that the penny will be made from an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc. They never mentioned that the inner core of the penny is pure zinc, and the outer layering is copper. According to that specification, the entire penny should be made from a mixture of 95% copper and 5% zinc. (As an alloy is an intimate mixture of two metals. Not two metals just sitting next to each other, or bonded to each other through chemical/heat manners). So is the mint making the pennies incorrectly, or is the specification just worded absolutely wrong?
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I read it and didn't see any mention that coins should be ugly, have low relief, and overall just suck... so it IS legal to make nice coins... image >>

This is the closest dealing with designs;

(D) Standards. - Because it is important that the Nation's
    coinage and currency bear dignified designs of which the
    citizens of the United States can be proud, the Secretary shall
    not select any frivolous or inappropriate design for any
    quarter dollar minted under this subsection.

Obviously this can involve wide interpretation. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so it IS legal to make nice coins... >>

Great question.
    Larry

• Options
    It's called delegation of authority to the Secretary. I wish they'd appoint some of those fake coin 100 mill silver

guys to make our coins---they're so much prettier!!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i> Hmmm. Something caught my eye in that specification that was a bit strange. They mentioned that the penny will be made from an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc. They never mentioned that the inner core of the penny is pure zinc, and the outer layering is copper. According to that specification, the entire penny should be made from a mixture of 95% copper and 5% zinc. (As an alloy is an intimate mixture of two metals. >>

This section allows the Sec of the Treasury to alter the cent composition

(c) The Secretary may prescribe the weight and the composition of
    copper and zinc in the alloy of the one-cent coin that the
    Secretary decides are appropriate when the Secretary decides that a
    different weight and alloy of copper and zinc are necessary to
    ensure an adequate supply of one-cent coins to meet the needs of
    the United States.

And the center of the cent is not pure zinc, it is 99.2% zinc and .8% copper. The small amont of copper in the core allows the plating to bond to the core better.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Hmmm. Something caught my eye in that specification that was a bit strange. They mentioned that the penny will be made from an alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc. They never mentioned that the inner core of the penny is pure zinc, and the outer layering is copper. According to that specification, the entire penny should be made from a mixture of 95% copper and 5% zinc. (As an alloy is an intimate mixture of two metals. >>

This section allows the Sec of the Treasury to alter the cent composition

(c) The Secretary may prescribe the weight and the composition of
    copper and zinc in the alloy of the one-cent coin that the
    Secretary decides are appropriate when the Secretary decides that a
    different weight and alloy of copper and zinc are necessary to
    ensure an adequate supply of one-cent coins to meet the needs of
    the United States.

And the center of the cent is not pure zinc, it is 99.2% zinc and .8% copper. The small amont of copper in the core allows the plating to bond to the core better. >>

Jdurg- My thoughts also. After reading paragraph c "To ensure adequate supply" made me think abit. I thought they changed the composition because the price of copper had made the penny worth more than a penny in copper melt value.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremey imageimageimage

I am amazed with the level of control there appears to be over the reverse design on the gold Eagles, hard to change those designs.

I didn't get through the entire text, but I didn't see where there was a weight spec for the regularsdollar coin (size was specified, but not weight).

I don't know what they could do with such an oversight, but it'd be cool to make them different just cuz there is that latitude left in the specs.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I didn't get through the entire text, but I didn't see where there was a weight spec for the regularsdollar coin (size was specified, but not weight). >>

That is probably covered here:
    (b) The half dollar, quarter dollar, and dime coins are clad
    coins with 3 layers of metal. The 2 identical outer layers are an
    alloy of 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel. The inner layer
    is copper. The outer layers are metallurgically bonded to the
    inner layer and weigh at least 30 percent of the weight of the
    coin. The dollar coin shall be golden in color, have a distinctive
    edge, have tactile and visual features that make the denomination
    of the coin readily discernible, be minted and fabricated in the
    United States, and have similar metallic, anti-counterfeiting
    properties as United States coinage in circulation on the date of
    enactment of the United States $1 Coin Act of 1997.

Since Anthony dollars were technically in circulation when the $1 coin act of 1997 was passed the golden dollar wuld have to match the specifications of the Anthony.

While at first glance it looks like it would be hard to change the designs of the gold coins, this section:

(4)(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law and subject to
    subparagraph (B), the Secretary of the Treasury may change the
    diameter, weight, or design of any coin minted under this
    subsection or the fineness of the gold in the alloy of any such
    coin if the Secretary determines that the specific diameter,
    weight, design, or fineness of gold which differs from that
    otherwise required by law is appropriate for such coin.

Would seem to imply that the Sec of the Treasury can change the design at any time as long as he thinks the design is "appropriate" for the coin.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Still, with how specific they are with the clad coinage, you'd think that they'd be just as specific when talking about the penny. The penny is technically a bimetallic coin and not a solid alloy like the dollar and nickel coins are.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The dollar coin is not a solid alloy coin either, it is clad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file