Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two generations of clads. Wanna feel old?

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today marks the end of an era. For years people could talk about clads being in circulation
for more than a generation. Today that comes to an end and we can now say they've been
in circulation for generations!!! Biologists normally consider a generation to be twenty years
in lenght since this is when people generall begin procreating.

For the many of us who remember their introduction it also means that those who were born
after the introduction of clads are now becoming grandparents.

Tempus fugit.

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those who were born after the introduction of clads are now becoming grandparents

Not me brother! I was born in '67 (the Summer of Love)
    and the wife and I are just now contemplating starting a family.

metal coins that circulate might be obsolete by the time I'm a grandparent!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    All Hail the Royal Sandwichimage----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Why today specificly? If I remember correctly the clad coinage didn't begin until August of 65.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why today specificly? If I remember correctly the clad coinage didn't begin until August of 65. >>

Good point Conder. However, I'll let him slide as it's close enough being as we have two generations "date-wise".
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I was born in 1964. My oldest child just hit 13. A number of year to go still!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why today specificly? If I remember correctly the clad coinage didn't begin until August of 65. >>

Well sure, and they weren't released to circulation until early November, but I've been wait-
    ing long enough to use the plural and most people won't care too much about the distinction.

My sister was born a few days before the release and she's not a grandparent either. But by
    the same token a friend of mine was a grandparent at 36.

...so in only another dozen years some of the people born after the introduction of clads will
    be becoming great-grandparents.
    Tempus fugit.
  • KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Forty years since regular silver circulation. Wow! I am old.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    CK,

Interesting to ponder. Most of the folks alive today weren't alive when silver coins circulated. Clads are getting longer of tooth.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Tis true. Heck, I was barely alive to see the non-zinc core pennies being minted. image (Runs away as rest of crowd now wants to beat me. hehe).
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, as my brother says (and he is a 6th grade teacher), it's never that you feel old... it's just that everyone starts looking younger.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't grope for the Geritol yet. Silver clad Kennedys continued through 1970 image
    And if you wanted to get academic, you could probably argue based on the number still found in bank searches that unlike their 90% silver cousins, they haven't ever entirely left circulation.

Maybe Gresham was wrong? image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file