Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone familiar with the 1917 British Sovereign?

I never new how expensive this coin was until someone showed me one (which may have been a fake) last night. I was curious as to the reason for the five-figure price that Krause shows for an uncirculated example. The one I saw, had strange lines on the obverse all around the edge, and the initials after the date couldn't be read even though there seemed to be no wear on the coin; thus, I believe it to be fake (sorry I can't get a pic). I suggested that the owner send it off to ANACS ASAP. If he does, I'll follow-up with the result.
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• From the description you give it's a fake.

1917 London mint sovereigns are best approach with the view that all specimens are fake until proved otherwise.

There were alot minted but most of the mintage was shipped to the United States as payment for war loans. There they stayed in the US treasury until about 1933 then they got melted. Only a handful survive.

The 1917 London mint sovereign is almost like the 1933 Saint.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Thanks fo the info Sylvestius!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson