Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Whats the main difference between.......

Proof like and proof.

Thanks in advance.

Walt

Comments

• Proof like is an unc coin that exhibits proof like qualitites. Proof is a coin minted by the proof process.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • "Proof" is primarily a *method* of striking a coin, such that it is as well struck as possible.

This generally entails hand-feeding the planchet into the die, striking the same planchet more than once, and stopping and polishing the dies every so many coins.

"Proofs" then would be something similar to a "presentation piece", not intended for general circulation and every-day business transactions.

"Proof-Like" means that a coin struck for general circulation displays many of the qualities ordinarily associated with a proof strike, especially deeply struck devices and a smooth, lustrous field. This probably occurs most frequently on a new die.
  • Here's another version:
    Proof: you can clearly read newspaper text in the coin's reflective fields when held 6 inches away.
    P/L: Reflective fields but paper's text described above is blurred.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Thanks All image Now I can tell the difference.

Walt
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that there is a big difference between American "prooflike" and Canadian "proof-like."

US prooflike means any circulation coin with mirrored fields. They are common in certain dates of Liberty Head (aka "Morgan") Dollars. Canadian proof-like coins were minted from the early 1950's until 1981 as collector coins. Not only do they have mirrored fields, but they are struck on slower moving equipment on selected blanks for a better overall finish. Most proof-likes have mirrored devices, also. Many Canadian coins struck for circulation are "prooflike" in that they have mirrored fields as the result of being struck by chrome-plated dies, but they are not "proof-like." For example, I have never seen a 1949 dollar without mirrored fields, but I don't know if any of them can technically be called proof-like.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'll second Shiro's post - the Canadian definition of prooflike is quite different from the US definition.

Canadian prooflike coins (PL) can be differentiated from their business strike (MS) counterparts by the quality of the strike.