Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few new medals on my site...

I've put a few medals onsite in the past couple of days I thought I'd share. Various states of preservation but all fun:

1800 Foundation of the Quay Desaix. (42mm) Desaix was one of Napoleon's only personal friends. At the Battle of Marengo he died and Napoleon was devastated for quite a while to come. In addition to naming the newly completed quay after his friend Napoleon built a monument on the Pass of Mt. St. Bernard in 1805 and erected a statue in Paris as late as 1810:

1803 Frederich Wilhelm III. (30mm) This piece is probably related to the general peace of 1801-1803. It is almost certainly related to Francis I's summoning of the Reichsdeputation on August 2, 1802 to consider negotiating with Napoleon for compensation (Entschadigungsplan) for losses on the left bank of the Rhine.

1814 Frederich Wilhelm III Visits the Medal Mint. (41mm) The Paris mint hosted all of the visiting (conquering) royalty in 1814 and at each visit they issued commemorative medals to mark the occassion. It's hard to believe that these are the same two men but I guess with the passage of eleven years we all look a bit different.

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments