Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Let the toning argument come to the darkside!

So - now that I've taken smoe roots here - let's get into some of the more esoteric aspects of collecting:

Do you prefer NATURALLY TONED original coins that have never been messed with?

or

Do you preferred NATURAL WHITE original skin on coins?

Please state why on your preference - Thanks! image

Nicely toned?

Or bright white?

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I like both, but if I could only have one example of a given type, one was white and the other had original toning that was neutral or positive, I'd buy the toned coin.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I like a little character. I'll take toned.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I like both, too. Given the option, though, I prefer natural original condition, as struck, which means silver is white and copper is red.

Some of the screaming toners I see aren't my favorites. It's more of an indicator that the coins in question were not properly stored or possibly artificially toned.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

• << <i>artificially toned. >>

Wybrit said the AT word!! image

So, in your mind are toned coins just the result of poor storage?
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't actively look for toned coins for my collection but I wouldn't rule them out either. However, I won't pay a premium just because a coin is toned. I prefer dirt and grime over toning image
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like both, but if I could only have one example of a given type, one was white and the other had original toning that was neutral or positive, I'd buy the toned coin. >>

I feel the same way. I've developed a "thing" for toned British proofs lately. If, however, the toning is too wierd, or downright ugly, I'd go for white. If the toning is blue, I'm hooked, but I won't pay a premium just for the toning. Overall eye appeal and quality of the strike have to be there first.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the coin is a modern white is the answer. I would think heavy tone on a modern would tend to be AT or very poor storage. If the coin was a classic, tone is the way to go. White would tend to tell me that the coin has been messed with.

But when it comes to Modern and Classic just what is being talked about, year wise, on the Darkside ?

Hows that I got Modern, Classic, AT, White, Toned and dipped all in the same post....image

Ken
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hows that I got Modern, Classic, AT, White, Toned and dipped all in the same post....image >>

Must be a closet litesider image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

• << <i>When the coin is a modern white is the answer. I would think heavy tone on a modern would tend to be AT or very poor storage. If the coin was a classic, tone is the way to go. White would tend to tell me that the coin has been messed with. >>

Seems to me that the Canadian dime on your sigline is not exactly white - are you calling it a classic? image
    That 1954, I think it is, was from Poor Storage. Damn its pretty though...image

Cant rope me into a statement about Modern and Classic here. These guys would eat me alive if a statement was made.

Ken

• << <i>Cant rope me into a statement about Modern and Classic here. These guys would eat me alive if a statement was made. >>

DAMMIT image
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That 1954, I think it is, was from Poor Storage. Damn its pretty though...image >>

Looks like album toning, kind of like someone's Roosies.... image

• << <i>Looks like album toning, kind of like someone's Roosies.... image >>

image!!!

<< <i>That 1954, I think it is, was from Poor Storage. Damn its pretty though...image

Cant rope me into a statement about Modern and Classic here. These guys would eat me alive if a statement was made.

Ken >>

I'll bite! I collect English coins so I know that anything minted after 1662 is modern and anything from 1816 on way as well have been minted yesterday.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>

<< <i>That 1954, I think it is, was from Poor Storage. Damn its pretty though...image >>

Looks like album toning, kind of like someone's Roosies.... image >>

Just keeping with the "tone" of the thread. Actually it certainly does look like nice album tone to me.

Ken
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper I prefer red. Silver I liked toned if attractive, which I admit, is in the eye of the beholder.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    In theory if I had a toned coin versus a blast white in the same condition, I'd probably opt for the one I think Wybrit would want. Then, I would get them both!

With that said, my entire thinking on natural toning was solidified this Christmas when the in-laws pulled out SAE from 99-2002 with beautiful rainbow toning on the edges and the top one showing what almost would be end role toning of sorts. They know nothing of coins, couldnt AT something if they tried. They had them wrapped in tissue paper like you get in Christmas presents and sitting in a giant mason jar with no lid on a dresser. I've seen the arguments on the US Forums rage about ultra-moderns toning; I've seen it for myself now and I know its not AT. Reaffirms that its all environment.

Av

Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
    With copper I'd rather have RB or BN, can't sleep at night owning 200 year old full red coins!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both, but I'm picky about toning. It has to be symmetrical, and not too streaky, heavy, or mottled. It mustn't obscure or distract from the design, and I prefer light pastel colors, though a light goldish tone is OK, too. I like "target" toning best of all.

If I were to pick one of the Vatican pieces above, I would go with the white coin. If both sides were toned like the reverse of the first one, however, I might have chosen the toned piece. (I like the reverse of the toned example above very much, but the obverse is too streaky/mottled for my taste, and has a visible fingerprint.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Well - to weigh in with my opinion, I love toned stuff, but as with most of you, it has to be pleasing to the eye. So many people out there buy stuff and pay dearly for it, just because it's got some brown gunk on it. Give me blues, reds, greens, and golds and I'm happy! image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer original coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I prefer originally toned coins with good eye appeal.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I just like coins. Must we really discuss this here?

<< <i>I just like coins. Must we really discuss this here? >>

Frank is new to the land of the Darkside and does not understand our ways!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

• << <i>Frank is new to the land of the Darkside and does not understand our ways! image >>

I know - I like collecting these things....

What are those?image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

• << <i>What are those? >>

Depends on where you live; liteside for some of us and semi-dark-side for those who tread un-Amerkan soil... image

On topic, I like any coin or medal that hasn't been messed with. No deliberate life in strange storage materials, no chemical baths and no time spent in an oven... An interesting question. image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    So, in your mind are toned coins just the result of poor storage?

I was typing a response, but then my daughter hurried me away from the keyboard to rescue one of her fish from the recirculator (too late, I'm afraid image).

Fairlaneman said it just the way I would have anyway:

When the coin is a modern white is the answer. I would think heavy tone on a modern would tend to be AT or very poor storage. If the coin was a classic, tone is the way to go. White would tend to tell me that the coin has been messed with.

But when it comes to Modern and Classic just what is being talked about, year wise, on the Darkside?

What are those
    Since Frank is watching this thread, I'll not answer that softball question. I don't want tobacco stained bite marks on my ankles.image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

<< <i>
    What are those
    Since Frank is watching this thread, I'll not answer that softball question. I don't want tobacco stained bite marks on my ankles.image >>

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I like toned and white coins. alot of it depends on the coin design. When it comes to toning, I prefer a nice even tone with subtle colors.

Steve
  • I got the best of both worlds with this coin.

Bought blast white in an ANACS MS65 holder back in 1999, this is what it looks like now.

I'll choose the toned coins any day. To me they're like paintings and as such, unique. image
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1

• << <i>I like toned and white coins. alot of it depends on the coin design. When it comes to toning, I prefer a nice even tone with subtle colors. >>

So I take it then you would not like this? image

• I like both of these coins very much, the images should tell you what I think..... image

imageimage

imageimage
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Either, or. If there is a choice between two of the same coins, I would simply choose the one with the best eye appeal. Toning warrants no premium to me
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Argggg...The Horror!!!

• << <i>What are those?image >>

~Debbie~
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    It depends on the coin and the toning. Some designs look better "white" than the toning that normally appears on them. However, I'll not pay "price multiples" for nicely toned examples.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • I hate all things red.

Tone wise i fall to this opinion.

Pre-1800 coins should be toned some shade of grey.

1800-1900 either white or grey.

1901+ blast white.

Grey toning, or very subtle shades of blue. Number 1 rule is it must be an even all over tone or none. No spots, no freckles, no crescents and definately no red.

With regards to copper, either dark chocolate brown tone (all over even) or full blast red lustre nothing in between.

<< <i>I hate all things red.

Tone wise i fall to this opinion.

Pre-1800 coins should be toned some shade of grey.

1800-1900 either white or grey.

1901+ blast white.

Grey toning, or very subtle shades of blue. Number 1 rule is it must be an even all over tone or none. No spots, no freckles, no crescents and definately no red.

With regards to copper, either dark chocolate brown tone (all over even) or full blast red lustre nothing in between. >>

Sorry to say, not many original coins will come your way with these restrictions. There are limits for collectors and then there are unreasonable limits for collectors. Possibly you should re-think on these limits a little.

Ken
  • I only collect hammered silver (nearly always grey), and gold coins.

I also dabble in 17th century sixpences that are also nearly always slate grey.

I don't touch anything else except post 1950 Washington Quaters in BU.
  • In Memory of Frank. You will be greatly missed buddy.image