Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2004-D MS69 RED PCGS Lincoln Cent POP 3 - Winning bid: US $1,652.89

with 4 people bidding over $1k

ebay

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

4 Morons bidding on a coin made this year in the BILLIONS.
    Did you buy it SOG ?

stewart
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now there's some crazy money!!

Reminds me of paying $1k for PR70 dcams!!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4 Morons bidding on a coin made this year in the BILLIONS.
    Did you buy it SOG ?

stewart >>

I think they thought they were getting your 1919 MS 69RD Stewart. Then they think they can wait 80 years and it might be worth 1% of what yours is worth today. Steveimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4 Morons bidding on a coin made this year in the BILLIONS.
    Did you buy it SOG ?

stewart >>

Actually it looks like it went out of production about an hour before your post. image

Future Lincolns will be dated 2005 or later. In the mean time all the obsolete dates get one year older each year whether they were made in 1919 or 1999. Oddly enough it's the latter which few collectors own. ...Go figure.

It may be a very good vintage but I certainly don't know.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday someone must explain stuff like this to me.

Ken
  • Options
    edited to say: Must have been hallucinating
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    I bet the next one will Fetch over 2K, any bets
  • Options
    Anyone know what set it ended up in? Or where it is going to end up?image
  • Options
    click on the "bid history"....looks like a few PCGS members were bidding in the early stages....

T
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

DANG! I should have bought a thousand rolls @ .50/roll !!!
    Doug
  • Options
    Atleast we know where 1 of the 3 went.......................Isn't that nice of NGC to furnish all of the Coin ID Numbers for everyone to veiw.

Nice.....................image
  • Options
    Stewart are you calling me a moron? Nope, I didn't buy it. Can't afford that kind of cash for that.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question that the Memorial cent market is FOR REAL - for both MS and Proof examples!

My 2 cents - When you get collectors used to paying $50,000.00, $70,000.00 and even $90,000.00 for wheat cents that used to trade at a fraction (often times a tiny fraction) of that price just a few years ago - it is no surprise that the Memorial cent market may begin to see some strong prices as well. Many collectors want all 95 years of the cent - not a set that cuts off 45 years ago. I expect to see some other strong prices on Memorials in the weeks and months ahead.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    So Mitch,

What do you think this coin should go out at?

They just aren't giving 69RD's at PCGS.

Just curiuos on YOUR thoughts as you handle allot of modern high grade.
  • Options
    XXX - You can see where my max bid on the coin was - obviously, I would have enjoyed owning it at that level at this time.

The winning bidder obviously valued it higher than I did. Maybe he is used to paying $70,000.00 or $90,000.00 for an earlier date wheat cent of roughly the same pop and figured what's another $1,600. Or, maybe it was a choice between that coin and spending $1,600 on an evening out tonight including wine (04(d) cent in hand sitting home by the fireplace sounded the better of the (2) options). So many possibilities image

Happy New year!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one in change the other day.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I'm sitting by the fireplace tonite, with a CoorsLight..................image
  • Options
    "I'm sitting by the fireplace tonite, with a CoorsLight"

I'm surprised you have any money left to do even that after this years' purchases image

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>"I'm sitting by the fireplace tonite, with a CoorsLight"

I'm surprised you have any money left to do even that after this years' purchases image

Wondercoin >>

Mitch, You got most of it. Good thing I was able to make 1 coin with the help of a new loupe and a good pair of cheap reading glasses.

So, are you inviting me over for champane by the fireplace? Or am I going to have to sit by the fire with my dansco albums again this year? imageimage
  • Options
    SOG - I am not calling you a Moron.I was just throwing the bait out and low and behold...Wonderbra is one of the 4 bidding on the coin.
    But he is a numismatic genius and I don't know Jack Schit about 2004 D memorials.

Stewart
  • Options
    EDITED AS THIS IS NEW YEARS EVE AND ALL SHOULD BE MERRY.

• Options
    "Mitch, You got most of it. Good thing I was able to make 1 coin with the help of a new loupe and a good pair of cheap reading glasses.
    So, are you inviting me over for champane by the fireplace? Or am I going to have to sit by the fire with my dansco albums again this year? "

XXX - That's one coin more than I made

By the way, considering my bid on the 04(d) cent was 5 BIDDERS DEEP ON THE LIST and well under 50% of its final sales price - one of my New Years Resolutions will be to bid stronger on top pop moderns. Frankly, it is embarrassing to appear to be such a "cheapskate" among the Memorial cent buyers.

Wondercoin

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Stewart

If Mitch was bidding on the coin I'm sure he had a home for it. I was bidding on it too. I also
    had a home for the coin just not quite at the level it sold for. When I was building my Roosie
    set I stretched and over paid for a couple of coins myself. I don't think its fair of you to knock
    down a collector for what he paid for a coin. to some $1600 is pocket change and worth
    spending it on something you just want. This was an auction and not a coin held hostage,
    Looks like there were at least 2 players at the $1600 level.

Nick
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>EDITED AS THIS IS NEW YEARS EVE AND ALL SHOULD BE MERRY. >>

Why do I have the bad timing to miss all the fun posts before they are edited?

No fireplace for me...I think its about 70 degrees and sunny outside here; hard to believe we actaully had a white Christmas this year. I think I'll be kicking back at my work desk tonight and getting some milage out of my hammer and hacksaw. image

New Year's resolution #1 for 2005: No sending in submissions that will be due over the Christmas holidays.

...and would someone start making some more of these 2004-D Lincolns in PCGS MS69RD so I can afford one?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    "Reminds me of paying $1k for PR70 dcams!!"
    Only ONE thousand?! image

"I bet the next one will Fetch over 2K, any bets"

I'd bet you'll see one sell for less than $500 WAY before the end of '05 - not unlike the 71'S fiasco of '03-04 imageimageimage
  • Options
    Only Roosies -My take is that if you have $1,652.89 to spend on a 2004 D Lincoln cent in any "grade"......... you should be sending thousands of dollars to the Tsunami victims and their families.I hope its true.

Mitch - I'm pretty good at pushing your buttons because it is sooooo easy.image

stewart
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Stewart raises a valid point. But whether you bid on the 2004D Lincoln or not, you might be looking for a way to help the victims of the terrible tragedy in southeast asia. If so, may I suggest you consider a contribution to Save The Children.

Save The Children

This is an efficient charity that helps in many emergency situations, and they have established a fund for the children and families devasted by Sunday’s tsunami. Make a contribution. I think that you’ll feel even better about yourself than when you win a coin at auction.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchasing a current year modern coin with a low pop is truly playing the lottery.

You will usually lose but once in a blue moon you will score so big that it could easily make up the difference in all of your losses.

This way of buying is only for a select few who are patient enough to sit out multiple losses in pursuit of the big winner.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Purchasing a current year modern coin with a low pop is truly playing the lottery.

You will usually lose but once in a blue moon you will score so big that it could easily make up the difference in all of your losses.

This way of buying is only for a select few who are patient enough to sit out multiple losses in pursuit of the big winner. >>

Even when you get them for face value it might be wise to sit out the first
    three years. There are almost invariably at least some new coin in the fed-
    eral reserve until they are three years old. Some dates have been released
    very quickly because of the time they are issued but even these will proba-
    bly have a low percentage of their mintage stuck in the system for as long as
    3 1/2 years. The problem is that even a small percentage of modern produc-
    tion levels is a huge number. Ten or fifteen jumbo bags (pallets) of TN 25c's
    coming out of mint storage could devastate the price for these coins.

Sometimes there will be no gems issued for circulation or the number will be
    so small as to make the chances of finding them in 20 pallets remote, but this
    is no certainty. Also, at least in the past, even the mint set gems tended to
    bunch up in various cities as the mint filled orders based on zip codes. While
    this may no longer be the case, and order periods are longer anyway, it will
    still take time to see a good sample of what the mint has produced for a given
    date.

It would seem that the ultra-moderns are being searched far more thoroughly
    than the older moderns so if there are gems being issued they will appear. Those
    who send the mint set coins in early in order to sell run the risk that their sets
    will be among the best and that the coin wasn't issued for circulation. This re-
    sults in happy buyers and sellers who could have done far better if they waited.

In the past there was little point in chasing down the circulating gems. There
    was no one to trade with or who would alert you to opportunities. If you did
    the travaling yourself it required great effort and cost and would usually result
    in no finds. It was easier to just sit in one place and wait for the fed to re-
    lease something nice in your area so you could actively track them down. This
    only happened every couple years or so. Unsurprisingly, many of these keepers
    then would turn out to be relatively common.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm going to have to break out the 04d's I have in flips. They are tough this year and imho this years 68's were last years 69's.......the noose was tightened. If you think you can find a 68 or 69 in a roll from the bank ...good luck cuz you are going to need it. Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options
    The pop on the 2004-P in MS69 had been 7 for the last 3 months. I suppose that some of those may have sold at relatively high prices when the pop was low. However, the pop on that coin just went to 41 because 34 were graded this past week! I suspect the same thing will happen to the 2004-D in ms69 one of these days. Patience. Patience.

• Options
    I can't see paying that much for a modern. Look at the last few years and the prices drop like a rock from the low pop days to the high pop days. I'm sure the 1.6K price tag generated alot of new submissions over the last week. As Gerry stated "Patience patience......"

Maybe a $100 to $300 coin by the end of 05?
  • Options
    "The pop on the 2004-P in MS69 had been 7 for the last 3 months. I suppose that some of those may have sold at relatively high prices when the pop was low".

When I had a few of the 2004-P MS69RD coins in stock (when the pop was 3 or 4 as I recall), I priced the coin at $200. But, the coin did surprise me in terms of just how tough it was to make. And, by all early indications, the "d" was/is much tougher. Not to mention the sell out of 2004 mint sets. It should be interesting to see what the pop does on the 04(d) cent. If it gets up to a couple dozen (like the 01(d)) - the 01(d) still commands $500 give or take even with that pop.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    From 25 mint sets I had 1 04-D worthy of sending in. It is in right now but I think it will only 68RD.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Oreville wrote: "Purchasing a current year modern coin with a low pop is truly playing the lottery."

True. But someone wins the lottery.

When I hear about price results like this one I think back on other fad coins such as STATE QUARTERS.

Price updates on these, please?

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    All good answers. I was watching this infamous coin as it was sold. I knew several of the bidders including myself. I like Mitch wasn't fortunate enough to get it but I know that it has been registered on some set at pcgs (good Sources), I just don't know which one. I will definitely be watching the next one.
    Zach