Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are their awards to be won for registering your collection?

Just curious.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Christopher,
    If you have been a member since 2003 and you have posted over 4,800 times to these boards you should know the answer to your question or at least know how to find it on this site. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    yes, awards, glory and instant fame. You will become a fixture on the Hollywood party circuit and eventually become a guest on Hollywood Squares.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    ...that depends on how deep your pockets are.........

David
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    A nice peice of paper with some gold writing on it. And of course a neat little logo.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Here's a fun bit of irony to share regarding awards received from pcgs. I have spent about 10 years and many $$$'s and considerable effort on my mint state barber halves, currently #3 finest set and never to become #1 to win an award for top set of registry. To become #1 would mean spending many more $$$'s and first winning the lottery, not to mention having to wait for current set #1 or 2 to sell. The irony comes from a simple purchase I made two years back of an intact 1904 proof set. It was already pcgs-graded and was bought as a cool item to add to my collection. Soon after I bought the set, PCGS added earlier proof sets to the registry set listings. I listed my set, and the past two years I have won a very nice certificate for having the top of the registry set for 1904 proof set. To this day it is the only set listed for the date and there are MANY other early dates of proof sets with NO listings at all.

Thus, a single purchase yielded me a higher paper award and registry listing notation than the much more intense building of a set over 10 years.

There may be some other opportunities out there for someone wanting to win such an award.

For instance, on eBay right now is a 1900 proof set pcgs graded MS 62-64 for sale and it likely could be bought for around $5K. I believe it would be the only 1900 set listed and would then win top honors.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Christopher,
    If you have been a member since 2003 and you have posted over 4,800 times to these boards you should know the answer to your question or at least know how to find it on this site. JMHO. Steve >>

You're right Steve.
    I hadn't even thought of looking, but when I did, it took me less than 10 seconds to find it.
    Sorry for troubling everyone.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!