Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

POLL--How smart is you?

Ajaan had an interesting idea about a poll of education levels for people here.

Bearing in mind that completed level of education doesn't necessarily have a direct effect on intelligence (I know a number of really stupid people with PhDs and a number of really smart people with GEDs) it would be intersting to know everyone's standing.
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common sense overides any level of education that has been completed.

JMHO.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we could have atot of fun with this one... I have not voted yet.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    High school diploma, but no college degree.
    I have taken about 3 years worth of college
    and other technical courses over the years.
    Running a business for over 20 years has to
    count for something, too image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Common sense overides any level of education that has been completed.

JMHO. >>

I have to agree.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Common sense overides any level of education that has been completed.

JMHO. >>

Bravo!! Well said.......
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    D'oh, I can't figure out how to use this votey thing!image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>How smart is you? >>

Obviously smarter than aethelbore because I figured out how to use the votey thing. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How smart is you? >>

Obviously smarter than aethelbore because I figured out how to use the votey thing. image >>

In a PM Don called me a baboon! The stupidest, smelliest ape of them all!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>In a PM Don called me a baboon! The stupidest, smelliest ape of them all >>

I never said stupidest.

P.S. A baboon isn't an ape, it is a monkey. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am ready to vote now... and the options are are coming up. See I told you that we would have alot of fun with this...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong on the initial statement. Higher education is great for some people but it is a waste of time and money for other people. Just as long as a person keeps learning through the remainder of their life I believe the mission is accomplished. Nothing, IMO, replaces experience.

Could not vote because the correct answer was not present. Lets just say that after high school and a few terms in college the common sense disappeared for awhile. image

Ken
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I've hired every level from PhDs to Tech degreed individuals to work for me at different times. I've also hired and promoted people who have not gone beyond high school. The best employee I ever had was and still is nondegreed. He has great knowledge and street smarts, works his tail off, accomplishes great things and probably trained 1-2 engineers per year in his fine career. I've had "experienced" PhDs who couldn't get a piece of equipment to run properly and would cover up the lack of efficacy of their processes. I've had green PhDs who would roll up their sleeves, lay under a machine and turn wrenches alongside the maintenance staff to get the job done and become highly regarded by tech and engineer alike in the trenches. The type of degree or lack of one is only a small piece of the equation in predicting success or problem solving capabilities.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I'm still reeling over the "baboon" comment!image

By the way, I hold to my opinion that a baboon is an ape, they are too big to be a monkey!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I've hired every level from PhDs to Tech degreed individuals to work for me at different times. I've also hired and promoted people who have not gone beyond high school. The best employee I ever had was and still is nondegreed. He has great knowledge and street smarts, works his tail off, accomplishes great things and probably trained 1-2 engineers per year in his fine career. I've had "experienced" PhDs who couldn't get a piece of equipment to run properly and would cover up the lack of efficacy of their processes. I've had green PhDs who would roll up their sleeves, lay under a machine and turn wrenches alongside the maintenance staff to get the job done and become highly regarded by tech and engineer alike in the trenches. The type of degree or lack of one is only a small piece of the equation in predicting success or problem solving capabilities. >>

Too bad more people dont see eye to eye with this....i do not have a college degree (first year completed though) but have over 15 years of pc tech exp, and get turned down for "too entry level" image
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    You know there are a lot of doctoral degrees besides Piled Higher & Deeper.image
    Roy

• Options
    Don't let this thread turn against education. Some of the smartest and most educated Darksiders seem to feel the need to apologize for creating the poll or posting their opinions and experiences. When did a Masters or PhD degree become something to be ashamed of ? Besides, there are way too many professions that cannot be practiced without a sufficient number of years of education and degrees behind, such as doctors, engineers etc. I'm currently looking to hire a young architect with good computer skills to assist me and I've seen a few so far. One of the first things I usually ask them is to make coffee and answer the phones, nothing as glamorous as they might have had in mind. If I see any unwillingness to do such tasks, I won't hire this person, not because he/she's a bad architect, but because he takes himself too seriously. I don't even drink coffee actually. image Intelligence and education combined is a wonderful thing, but the most important , as Fairlaneman stated already ,is the willingness to continue the process of learning (and self-improvement for that matter) for an entire lifetime.

That said, and I hope without any misunderstandings, I see from the results that once again the level here is very high, as with the recent language poll.

edited in between the time the server was off.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty good spread across the board.

A lot more omnipotent people here than I thought. image

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " Baboons are the largest members of the monkey family, possessing heads with long, naked, dog-like muzzles."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Will one of you 11 omnipotent types please make me king?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Will one of you 11 omnipotent types please make me king? >>

I'm a lowly "Princess of the North", which I don't believe entails the power to "king" someone. image

• Options
    I have two 4-year degrees in History and Geography which I've never been able to actually use in a career. I took teaching classes but as just an average (and distracted) student in the mid to late '70s I wasn't recommended for a teaching certificate. They did however recommend a guy who is still in jail for murdering a coed though. But I was motivated to pursue those degrees mainly just because the subjects intrigued me and not because of job futures of which there are few if any locally. The degrees actually have ironically seemed to deter any job possibilities by making me OVER qualified for 'regular' life sustaining jobs which I would have been quite happy to take. Now, I've finally found a mid-point in a nondescript career due to seniority and capability. So, Sammy, it works both ways!

Be that as it may, the hobby and the degrees mesh quite well together! image
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Brad, you left out Krause Exemplar, Ph.D. (Photographic Detailer). Have coin, will identify.....and FAST!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Brad Swain

• Options
    I'm currently heading for a BA in history, it won't be a very good one though. Looking at a Lower Second classification which is just below average. I'm in my final year and it's just getting too hard.

But when i get a degree under my belt regardless of the classification, i haven't got a clue what i want to do next. I suppose i'll take a post grad degree in further education to enable me to teach adults history. Although i dunno if i could cope or even want a job like that. So options are still open.

As for the previous remarks on experience being worth more than education, i'll second that motion.
  • Options
    I'm kind of like you, Tbirde...I have a B.A. in Economics which I never used professionally; just enjoyed the subject matter. I also took a lot of Spanish
    courses and some French, but only use them personally and not frequently enough. Good thing I was able to get into real estate title examining with my
    husband or goodness knows what I may have wound up doing! image

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    For those having trouble with voting, here's a guide:

B.S. = that's self-explanatory
    M.S. = more of the same
    Ph.D = piled higher and deeper

• Options
    I have a M.A. in Geography, with emphasis on Physical Geography.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'll bet THAT was a good line for a single guy! imageimage
    Brad Swain

• Options
    " I have a M.A. in Geography, with emphasis on Physical Geography."

That explains a lot. With all the changes in the world over the last decade, I don't blame you for hiding under a mushroom.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'll bet THAT was a good line for a single guy!

Can't be as bad as saying "I'm an engineering major."image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of what I know I picked up in kindergarden or on the streets. So I voted school of knocks.

...and I didn't really go to kindergarden, it's just an expression.

...that was the streets with libraries and the like on them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    There sure a lot of geographers here. I am a recovering geographer myself.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Will one of you 11 omnipotent types please make me king?

No.
  • Options
    But I don't work as a Geographer, although I am a certified to teach Earth Science.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    To be honest most of my education came from the school of hard knocks and common sense. However, I did piece together 4 years of college while in the service studying human behavioral science, psychology and philosophy. Now I just read a lot image
  • Options
    I have two Associates Degrees, One in electronics under my name and one in chemistry under the name of Evelyn. I was within a few credits of a third one in computer science but I changed majors an never finished the computer science degree. I'd like to go back and pick it up but it has been so long that I would need to go back and start over on it again.