Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there any finds left??

When i was young I can remember going to Garage sales with my mom and finding some nice vintage cards, Now I havent found a card at a sale since I was twelve. Has anyone had any great garage sale finds lately? or attic finds etc. etc............

Comments

• Options
    Little find, but exciting nevertheless . . .

I'm sitting in my office and an older fellow walks in and says he found a pack of cards in his attic. He hands them to me. There were two Goudey Indian cards in the original wrapper. Absolutley gorgeous pure white mint copies of General Sturges (sp?) and Mrs. Merrill. I thought to myself, "these have got to be the two finest examples in existence." In PSA 8 they book for around $250. They will go in for grading soon. Oh, the guy wanted $10 for the two cards and the wrapper!

The stuff is still out there!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Seems like there is more and more competition for the high quality raw cards, doesn't it? I remember a thread a while back where I said the same thing, and many on here felt like there would always be more raw cards to find.

But, with all of the sleazy "Mr Mint" types out there looking to fleece the uninformed, and the big grading dealers who travel the big shows pulling their rolling suitcases behind them (usually before the shows open to the general public), there rarely seems to be much left for the little guy. If there's an attic find somewhere, I bet by time it trickles down to the common collector, it won't be all that special anymore.
  • Options
    The stuff is very much still out there, I went to a yard sale last year a guy had a 5000, count box of cards for 10.00. Most of the stuff was early 90s crap but there were about 200 1963 Fleer cards and about 100 1962 Fleer as well as about 25 1961 Fleer cards.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I deal with senior citizens daily for my job, I meet with them at their home, and I always make it a point to mention that I collect baseball cards in hopes of drawing interest. Thus far, no luck. I did meet a man who had a milk crate full of cards that he had collected prior to being called to service in WWII, he had them all stored and protected, and when he had returned from the war, his family had moved, the milk crate was gone, and to the day, he's bitter about it.

One of these days, I'll come across something, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    I think it would be fun, if one had the time and means, to travel about the country, seeking out old antique shops, flea markets and such, especially in remote areas, in hopes of stumbling across some of these "hidden treasures".
  • Options
    here's a good one. i'm starting to believe that in the case of pre war cards it would be in a wealthy family whose occupied the home for generations and doesn't need cash. also the cracker jack/mastro one which has been discussed here before. here's the link.http://gfg.com/LLojfind/find
  • Options
    Amazingly that is where most of your rare antiques come from. There are many families that are just sitting on tons of valuable antiques where they don't need the money so many of these items are just sitting in attics untouched for years. I have a friend who just happened to mention old comic books to an elderly woman and she made a comment that her late brother had stored some in her attic about 40 years ago and he could have them if he could find them. There were some very high value books in that group.
  • Options
    Yea, there sure are finds out there, check out "dream card" link by knuckles.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a really great Ebay find! Order now, the bling bling sling:

Mike