Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

how do you store your PSA cards?

I am just wondering what type of storage do you use for your PSA card collection? I used to keep them those huge plastic binder, but the spine just keep breaking as more are stacked together. What are some good storage device for PSA card for nice aesthetics viewing, thank you

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    I slide a polybag over each card. they fit real snug so the card isn't too distorted and the surface is protected. I keep em stacked in neat little stacks, or in a large box. I have no idea how a binder would work well with these things.

JERO
  • Options
    MJ Roop box for graded, Roop binders for nice sets and boxes for the rest
    Always looking for signed Cowboys items from the 'Landry years'
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Super Vault Boxes from BCW. They work great, are cheap, and stack easily in my closet.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I store mine in plastic Rubbermaid containers i bought from Target for 5-7 dollars, The ones I am most proud of I store on top of my desk in my office or around the office.

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Stacked up in my closet. But I've been thinking of looking for, or making, a wooden box thing with rows like a regular card storage box. A nice red oak with brass label holders like a card catalog. I wonder if a card catalog would work. I know a librarian, maybe she can hook me up.

One market niche could be for really high end storage units designed especially for cards and comics. I've got a bunch of plain white comic long boxes and they really take up a lot of space and look ugly. Some sort of barrister's bookshelf with slide out drawers would be excellent. Same thing with cards. Sometimes I think I'd like to quit my job and build stuff like that. But I don't like being poor.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Helio - I remember a post a while back where someone purchased a card catalog off of ebay and, apparently, it worked great. But I dont remember if it was for raw or slabbed.

A friend in town here has a similar setup in his house, but the card catalog he has is only big enough for 3 X 5 cards. It really looks neat though.

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I ran out of room in my small Sentry fire safe, so I bought a steel rifle cabinet at Kmart for less than $100 and made some crude shelves with partitions to help organize the cards. The cabinet has upper and lower locks on the door, and bolts to the wall in four places. The downside is that it's not fire-rated. When I go away for more than a day or two, the most valuable cards go in the safe.

The organization of cards is always changing, and the top shelf displays some favorites on a rotating basis. The bottom two shelves (not shown) hold '64 Topps Giants, Supers, and other oversize cards and bulky memorabilia.

• Options
    I found a nice wooden box with four rows separated by wooden dividers. It's a little heavy, but makes for durable protection. There's a little label under the lid that says "displayco.com". Seems i paid around $70. for it. The rows are only wide enough for PSA-size holders, so don't expect to fit SGC cards in it, or those wider than PSA.
  • Options
    jrdolan, very nice setup!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I store them in a ikea display cabnet all three of them.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I have spent quite a bit of time and money this past year trying out different ways of storing my cards for the sets. Here's what I have settled on (for now). It had bothered me that star cards that I would spend good money on (graded or raw, doesn't matter) would be stored away in a cabinet or closet where they can't be looked at. I have railed against the "commodization" of cards and I didn't want to be guilty of treating my cards like tubes of bulk Morgan dollars. So I went down to Michael's and bought shadow box and regular steel mouldings (the kind to make frames). I then, laborously, built two 36x36 frames for the walls with 4 rails each (5 shelves total). The underside of a regular steel moulding has a perfect inset tray to put cards on. I adjusted the "shelves" or rails so that I can display the key cards for my 5 sets - some shelves accomodate PSA slabs while the other accomodate raws in One Touch holders. This way I can go up to my display and easily grab any card if I want to appreciate it up close. By the way, I did something similar with my PSA Sampler Set that I am starting. I built (3) 24x30 display frames that will hold a total of 105 regular-sized slabs. For the other cards in the set, Mickey has convinced me to go with Ultra Pro sheets for the raw commons. And for other raws (and some graded), I stack up the slabs or One Touch in an Ultra Pro plastic box (the clear plastic kind with a lid that can store about 100 top loaders and such).
  • Options
    I use the Pennzoni displays....they sell some less expensive versions on ebay too.....Lacking any carpentry talents, I am more than happy to buy their stuff that is custom made for PSA cards (to a degree) and their storage boxes are ideal for the cards that aren't displayed on my walls.

Dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Bank of America safety deposit box. Visitation days are the 2 and 4th Saturdays of the month.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    i used to store them in a small safe. But, i thought, why am i keeping them in there out of view. I bought them to be looked at. They are now in a bookcase away from sunlight.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Buccaneer: Got a picture to post? Your display sounds nice.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JR
    If you're tired of the 53T Mantle...I run a home for wayward Mantles! image

Remember when someone told you that standing the card up over time will cause warpage? I think I know where that kind of gravity might come into play....Pluto!

Nice set up.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    As mentioned before, BCW super vaults and regular vaults.

The regular vaults, a bit cheaper, house the cards quite well although the lid won't go down all the way so stacking is a little dicey. Also one may just use the boxes' bottom or top separately and merely cover the exposed top 1/3 of the card with plastic wrap, garbage bag, or something similar, then rubber band it for dust protection.

Happy new year !!
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    The Super Vault boxes work great, but if you handle the boxes a lot like I do, they tend to wear out. Here's an item that I found is working really well for me...Sterilite brand fliptop plastic boxes. Since these are made of clear plastic, I store them in a dark place to avoid UV issues:

View from the front. Cards are flush with the sides at the bottom, but the sides get wider as they go up. Not a perfect fit, but pretty darn good.

View from the top with lid open.

And another view from the top.

I can't remember if I got these at Target or Walmart, but sterilite still shows them on their website...For those who are interested, click on the link and look at model 1775:

Flip Top Storage Box
  • Options
    Charlie-

That's a pretty clever idea--and inexpensive! I know our local Wal-Mart carries those Sterilite boxes. Do you knox if SGC-graded cards will fit in them as well?
  • Options
    I agree with the Pennzoni cases off of ebay. They hold 30 or 50 psa graded cards. I put a clasp on the door and some elastic to hold the cards to the wood and mounted them on the walls. A collection in the safe deposit box doesn't do it for me. We all carry insurance, right?
  • Options
    Here's what it looks like.
  • Options
    Steve,

I have a few SGC cards mixed in and they fit pretty well.

Todd
  • Options
    Todd-

Thanks! I needed a way to store my SGC cards. Now if only i could find a right-size box for the "tall boy" holders!
  • Options

I have 4 of those. I use those and plastic containers. I too place them in mylar bags to protect the holders

JAMES... AKA.... boggs301012
    Babe Ruth Was The Bomb!!image
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Jr,

Nice setup. I felt like I was looking at candy. I'll take one from that shelf and two no three from the top shelf.

• Options
    Yes, they look great, but for the life of me, I can take a decent picture of them with the glare from the screen.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.