Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

38 goudey lot on ebay, opinion needed...

Looking for 38 Goudeys on ebay as always, and I come across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5152858160&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

I'm thinking, wow... pretty nice lot. then i'm thinking "19 card lot, 19 card lot..." then a light bulb goes off. There was a 19 card lot on Mastro last month. So I search and presto! The same lot, even the same pic. So I email the seller who has tons of good feedback, and is genuine i'm sure for scans of the cards due to the likely cost of the lot and a little added security is never a bad idea.

Then I notice how the description Mastro gave for condition is essentially a full grade less then the sellers description... then I notice how the seller has grossly inflated the "SMR" in his listing. So i'm punching numbers and it seems he got the lot for essentially full SMR according to Mastro's condition report which is around $2,000.

So my question is, have you guys had any problem with this seller? I'm interested in the lot and its no reserve with a 99 cent opening bid (finally!!). but does this not seem atleast a bit unethical or shaddy to you guys? How accurate is Mastros descriptions with PSA guidelines? Or how certain can I be that a NRMT raw will indeed be NRMT after submitted to PSA? With the 38s being so sensitive and the pop reports being so thin the price essentially doubles every grade up from 5-6-7-8.

Thanks again for your replies,

JERO

PS: Ryan.. you sniped me on the PSA 6 over SMR today damn you!!! image

Comments

• i found the lot on the mastro site and it appears he graded up all the cards 1 grade. i would always believe the lower grade as real.in the ex to good grades the condition can vary more than in high grade even in slabbed cards. so i guess, i wouldn't really question his grading. although i do doubt the foxx is really nm. to inflate the smr value is deceptive but this is a common practice (to list nm beckett and have a card in lesser shape) dealers always do this,it fools no one.(not you or i at least) he paid about $2500 for the lot so if i were to bid i would have a good idea of a limit($2600 would be mine as i would really not want to spend too much more than what i could have paid if i bought from mastro) he has no reserve and i would think he expects to make money on these, hence his "higher" grades.see where it goes and bid your limit at the last minute. my thoughts--if i were the seller is i was going to lose money---mastro auctions always seem to bring more than ebay--so good luck!
  • I was interested in this guy's 60's lot, but am hesitant to buy raw Mantles, etc. His feedback is full of stuff like this:

Great Ebayer! Returned Coins for grading reasons, prompt refund, HONEST MAN!!

Lots of his positive & negative feedback refers to overgrading and altering coins.

I'll probably either pass or bid with low expectations.

Al
  • NEVERMIND! I guess they weren't comfortable with the current bid at $1500+ with less than a day left in the auction since they had nearly $2500 into the lot... the listing was pulled today...

JERO
  • This lot aggravated the heck out of me.

I saw it there, too, and looked at it as an opportunity to fill in four key cards I don't have, plus upgrade a bunch more (and sell a few to Jero image ).

So when the lot disappeared, I contacted the seller to find out what happened. He responded exactly as Jero suspected, telling me he had $2600 in the lot and that he didn't think it was going to get there (it really bugs me when sellers do this). So I told him I would have gone as high as $2600, and asked him what he wanted.

He responded by saying he wanted $3000. So I asked him if I could see more scans, since only six were represented in the listing. The day went on, and he didn't respond, so I sent him a stronger email, letting him know I definitely was prepared to give ihm three grand for the lot.

Still no response. I tried him once more, and then, just to be sure I wasn't using an email address he didn't check frequently, I contacted him through Ebay.

He responded to my note through Ebay as if he didn't know what I was talking about. Apparently, he decided to rescind his offer without telling me, and ship the lot off to PSA instead.

Which is fine, because when the cards come back for less than his grades, Jero and I can pick them off one by one at prices less than he had listed.

IF I ever buy from this guy.

-Al
  • You know, every time a 38 goudey lot sells on mastro I hope they are individually parted out on ebay, but haven't seen it yet. I sincerely hope this guy does part it out as there are a handful i'm interested in. Knowing the seller though, I'm afraid he will pull it before its over. some people just don't know the power of sniping. one 33 sport king i was bidding on went from 120 to almost 700 bucks in the last minute. I still think the price he paid was market correct (2400) but he can make money parting it out to us collectors going through 38 goudey withdrawals! I emailed him as well for scans when the auction started and never got a reply...

JERO
  • Jero- of course I've been watching that auction as well.

Sniped on the Medwick! I didn't see your remark on this originally. I needed that card and was willing to pay over SMR for it!

Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Oh- and Novocent- welcome to the 38 Goudey Registry!
    I sit at #11 (was higher until Jero blew by).

Best of luck with it, it's a great set. It's picked up a lot of steam over the past year and it's visible by the competition for the few that come up.

I find that trying to grade these cards pre- submission is tough. There have been a few that have caught me off guard. I have had much better luck with raw grading of 33/34 Goudeys.

Ryan
    Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Hi Ryan:

Thanks! I love this set, and have started working on it almost as hard as the '53 set.

I've actually got lots more than the 2 cards I put in the registry - I have more fun buying raw cards and submitting them myself. So actually I'm about 60-70% complete on the set (although no DiMaggios and no Foxxes and only one Feller at this point). I was hoping to snag this lot that Jero is referring to above, and then send in 30-35 cards to PSA later this month.

No dice on the lot, though, as you can see from my comments above.

-Al
  • Al,

Good job starting the registry. It is terribly addictive. On a bit of a dry spell with the 38s lately. I search all over the net through dealer websites all over the country and i'm not finding jack crap. Tried to get one I need from Levi (I offered over SMR but not as much over as he is asking) but he won't bite. I'll try to loosen him up some more at the next card show in a few months... Got a lower grade Feller recently. That card is so undervalued in SMR its crazy. Think I'll get a 2MK from PSA because its got a very faint trace of fountain pen on the reverse. Think i'll do it anyway since I really don't want to blow nearly 500 bucks for a 3-4. The only 2 I can find is from levi and he's asking 350 for it. So i'll take my MK since I got mine for $140 (even though SMR says a 2 is what...60 bucks?! Oh the thought... There seems to be a bit of growth on the 38 registry. In the past several months there have been prob 6 new sets started. Thankfully still not much competition (relatively speaking) to crack the top 10 (come on ryan, get yer butt up there!!). If this set becomes more popular there will be a lot of frustration since these things are so scarce relative to the 33 goudeys (26,000+ graded) ,34 goudeys (8500+) as well as even the highly coveted sport kings (4100+). the 52 topps set (70000+)is practically a modern set as far as production goes relative to the 38s (1800 graded). You could say less popularity keeps the PSA numbers down, but I don't think many of us are finding many raw... atleast i'm not.

JERO
  • I went searching all over the net for more 38s last week- after the seller of this lot flaked on me, I decided if I was going to pay that much money, I may as well search and see what I could find. I found NOTHING, except for the same ridiculously-priced 38s you found at 707.

I was all excited for the new SMR to come out this month, because I just knew the prices of the 38s were going to be raised. They weren't. I'm wondering how often they update those SMR prices, because I don't remember the last time I saw a 38 Goudey go for SMR.

I noticed the 1800 graded cards last week, too. Unbelievable how underrated that set is. I'm preparing a submission of 25 cards or so this week.

-Al