Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would you do if......

You bought a card on eBay, which the seller called "Mint", and you wrote to him before bidding and asked specific questions about corner wear. He writes back and tells you that he can see little if any wear. So you take a chance and bid, expecting to get at least a Nm-Mt out of it, and bid accordingly. You win the card, and it arrives. You look at it closely with a glass, and KNOW it won't grade any higher than an "Ex-Mt 6" because of very obvious corner wear. You write to the seller to tell him, and explain you'd like to send the card back and get a refund. At first he doesn't even reply. You write again, and then he does write back, but says he feels the card was "as described" (mint). The other factor here is that the card (fortunately) wasn't that expensive--under $15. with postage. Do you just "eat" the loss, or play hard ball with him, trying to get your money back? image

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Think you have to eat it unless he is willing to give the refund. No sense of trying to strong-arm him into a refund because it only goes worse.

We have probably all had to do this at one time or another. Sucks but there really isnt any recourse and the seller knows it. What a bum.
  • Options
    Is this a hypothetical situation????
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Eat it and move on. I hope the lesson has been learned, however.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    $15 is a cheap way to learn that buying raw cards from someone you don't know is very risky on eBay. Some people image pay a lot more than that to learn each of the various eBay lessons.
  • Options
    my lesson was 350.00 dollars so you came out a little cheaper on the lesson than i did,.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I look at it like I look at investing... you must accept up-front that there is a possibility for loss. There is risk to buying anything. You always try to buy the best stuff that fits your needs/desires, attempt to minimize that risk with your knowledge, but occasionally, things just don't work out and you overpay for lesser quality. It's a small piece of the overall big picture and balances out the occasions where you get a great deal and buy something for a fraction of it's true value.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    If he says he sees "little if any wear", I would assume he hasn't louped it.
    "Little" wear translates to big wear under a loupe.
    I think you are extremely lucky to have gotten a card that would qualify as a 6.
    A 7 has "slight...wear visible upon close inspection". IMO, that means magnification.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, folks. The card, as it is, is not really worth the cost of grading, so maybe i'll just do what we did as kids: put it in my bicycle spokes! Just goes to show you have to take it with a grain of salt when someone you haven't dealt with says a card is "mint". I would have been happy with even Nm-Mt, or maybe even NM. I tend to think the seller was just ignorant about it, since he was surprised that i looked at the card with a glass! He said nobody he knew did that before selling cards!