Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

An interesting approach to selling on eBay...

...as well as an interesting claim to start a new grading service:

Link

I like the details on condition...not sure I've seen anything this precise before. What I found most interesting though was the following:

<< <i>I am currently working with a commercial forensic lab to develop a method to scientifically, objectively grade sports cards using a variety of high tech measuring equipment. I hope to offer a scientific, objective grading service to sports card collectors and traders beginning in March or April 2005. >>

Do we really NEED grading THAT precise...using forensic lab equipment? No doubt there are plenty of wannabe grading companies out there, but I wonder if this approach would actually have some appeal....

-Todd-

Comments

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

<< <i>I think you will find me one of the most, if not the most, conversative and accurate grade estimators of 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s baseball cards selling cards on eBay. >>

I'm going to email him asking about symbolism and imagery in Waiting for Godot.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Insane in the membrane...

In a related story, a Virginia man convicted of murder over 20 years ago was denied a second hearing when a 1974 Topps Carlton Fish card bought on ebay was mistakingly submitted as DNA evidence. The forensic labs could not be reached for comment...
    imageimageimage

j23
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    OK...IF he was really going to do this...
    1. It would probably cost an enormous amount of money to start up
    2. It would be an enormous cost to start up such a grading company
    3. Why in the world if you have a business idea, you would announce it to give everyone else a similar idea and try it too? (Whether it's a good idea or not...just not smart!)
    4. I think he is full of doodie! image
    I will anxiously await my cards to be forensically graded. Thank you!
  • Options
    I too, like his attention to detail when describing his cards. Who wouldn't feel confident buying from him? As far as starting up a new grading company, i just don't think it would fly. There have been several companies come and go in just the last 7-8 years. BUT..if he decided to sell his technology to PSA, he'd probably get RICH! I think we all want good, consistent grading from a brand name company, and not have to "start all over" with another NEW company, having to re-grade everything.
  • Options
    "I think you will find me one of the most, if not the most, conversative and accurate grade estimators"

I hope that he can be conservative while being conversative.......

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance..........
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud the effort. If nothing else maybe it will force the current grading companies to improve things a little bit. Competition is a good thing.
  • Options
    funny guy!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i'm sure Stone will have a pic for us.. ?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd give him 89 cents for it.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What is forensic equipement going to tell him? Maybe he get some DNA trace samples off the card, search it for latent fingerprints, and/or cut off a section of the card for chemical analysis! image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone let this guy in on the "time value of money".

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I think he spent more time analyzing the card than it's worth. I can imagine a subgrade like "Centering: 9.243795" ... I will say he seems more credible and sincere than the college guy who was lopping the borders off pre-1957 cards to make them fit in his modern-size kitchen table holders. NGS I think it was.

In summary, since nobody has said it yet ...

Heh.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Interesting....that's it....interesting....
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I smell the next CSI spinoff. CSI: Newport Beach

But you know what forensic labs use to measure pieces of paper?

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Jr - Word of warning......youd better add the trademark symbol next to your summary or Vargha's legal hounds will eat you up.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although this of course may not be the guy to do it, and there is humor to it, I still think the idea or an idea similar to this, has merit. There is a lot of concern about even reputable grading companies sometimes "accidentally" grading altered or restored cards when using their regular grading procedures. I wouldn't mind paying PSA extra money to spend more time and use better techniques in checking out an expensive card. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $10 or $20 bucks to make sure a $1,000+ card is more accurately checked out. Especially on pre-WW2 cards. And just like PSA grading adds value to a card, an expensive card that was "forensically" (it does sound funny) graded would in my opinion definitely add more value to an expensive card than the extra cost of the forensic grading service. I know this is slightly different - but look at the value a PSA/DNA authenticated autographed card adds to the card...this is probably how this guy got the idea and again...it might not be a bad idea.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Forensic lab equipment gradeing? Crap there will be qualifiers like how many times the card has been touched by human hands. [Qualifier 5 finger prints]
  • Options
    This reminds me of the "instant replay" debate. Is it a GOOD thing to add electronics or high tech means to "get it right", and remove the human failure factor? I think you could make a good argument for it--especially for the more valuable cards.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I submitted a 1970 O.J. Simpson to him. He graded it a 5 and noted on the slab REAL KILLER. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am currently working with a commercial forensic lab to develop a method to scientifically, objectively grade sports cards using a variety of high tech measuring equipment. I hope to offer a scientific, objective grading service to sports card collectors and traders beginning in March or April 2005. >>

Ya know if there is one thing I hate? A JCL! Johnny come lately!! We at PSG - Pogo Stick Grading, have been in the business of grading cards for one...ah...10 years! We are in the process of upgrading our equipment and are now ready to bring to you the S3000H Scanning Electron Microscope!

That's right...we will be grading at the atomic level. We will be checking corners for the alignment of molecules and even the ionic propensity and coefficient of atomic attraction!

So don't even waste your time with all the imitators out there! Let that guy stick to his forensic whatever. Go with the best! The proven, the guys who will "guarantee your grade" image

We're the leader in the grading industry...not be be mistaken for the imitation....we guarantee the turnaround before you even submit the stuff! We're that good!

the maniger

Mike
  • Options

Vargha may own the trademark on "heh", however, since it's a palindrome, I believe that version is still up for grabs... thereby leaving JR in the clear. At least for now......

Chris
  • Options
    Exactly what type of forensics are required in order to separate a PSA 4 from a PSA 5?
    I might prefer to look at the corners, centering, surface, etc.