Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Burnout

I've been absent for quite some time recently. It has nothing to do with board and my friends here. However, I just hit the wall with card collecting. If you want to stay in the mix, you really have to dedicate time. There's tremendous competition for cards and the dollars in your bank account can disappear quickly. Hence, you have to keep up with ebay trends, collector trends, dealer inventories, prioritize your want list, sell cards to buy cards, submit cards for grading, etc... It's all part of the fun, but it gets intense. You reach a point when nothing in your collection satisfies you 100%. Plus, if you choose rare issues, you can go months before even seeing a card you're looking for. That's before the bidding begins.

Also, grading takes its toll. PSA has distanced themselves from the pack this year. They are very well aware of it which hasn't made dealing with them any easier. The most disappointing aspect of this hobby is the inconsistency in grading. It is subjective and impossible to perfect. But how many times have we all been excited about a card, submitted it and received two or three grades lower than expected? Plus, when you search ebay, you find four inferior examples of your card in the higher grades. PSA standards are clearly stated, but they don't even follow them. They can make an excuse for any misgrade and there's nothing you can really do. Transferring your cards to another company is costly and a huge pain. Additionally, PSA still comands top dollar in the marketplace. So, higher grades from GAI doesn't mean an increase in the dollar value of your collection.

It's sad the financial aspect has to play such a large role, but these cards are expensive. We all need to protect our financial investments. With PSA becoming more stringent in the grading department, many of us are ending up with nicer cards in lower grade holders. None of us want to buy old slabs with inferior cards, but the set registries don't take that into account. I don't see a solution.

Anyway, I'm still hunting for a few cards here and there. I don't have the same enthusiasm or level of patience anymore. However, I have been taking the time to appreciate the collection I've put together and that is very satisfying. There are always going to be cycles in life. If you feel tired of the complexities of the game, step back and really enjoy your cards. It will give you some perspective and good feelings.

Best to all,

Scumbi

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scumbi
    That happens to anyone who calls themself a collector...even if money were not a factor, something else would get in the way.
    That's why I am devoting myself to the complete raw set of 92 Upper Deck this coming year.

Happy New Year
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    oh my scumbi,

here`s the real deal ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, - + - = - !!

no charge.

your friend, lee
  • Options
    Welcome back, TJ. image
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Good to hear from you again. Your posts usually crack me up.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

My interest in my cards ebbs and flows,
    just like my interest other hobbies goes in cycles.

Also, I've come to appreciate PSA for what they are,
    and realize that the trade off between grading fees and accuracy is about right.

It's not life and death, and once in a while we all need to take a break,
    so we can come back with fresh enthusisasm and a slightly different perspective.

In the meantime,
    I recommend drinking vast quantities of gin and playing the 3-D game on the SpongeBob Movie site

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    No doubt that there are lulls in my collecting enthusiasm, but a little time out of the game seems to cure it. Of course, the time spent doing all of those things Scumbi refers to does add up, and when I have the time, my collection grows. When I don't - it's easier not to miss the hobby.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Scumbi. I look forward to your posts, no matter how infrequent.

Burnout happens to me when I have a particularly disappointing experience.
    If this is what happened, I trust it didn't take you down as you seem to be back,
    a bit more sober, but still insightful and thought-provoking.

Happy New Year to all!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    when i get fustrated with the high prices, grading issues and stuff like that, i will pick up a cheap modern set and try to complete it.

about six months ago this card came up on ebay,a nice solid PSA 8 just seeing the card in a scan was amazing, i decided to go all out and still didnt win it ..and by a lot!

so i pick up a bunch of rack packs of 1990 topps usually the S&H would cost more than the final bid, but i had a blast putting it together...it cost me around $50 or so for a month.

It worked, i felt good about the hobby and went out and bought the same card later on in a PSA 3
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    For a dealer/store owner looking to make a buck, I see how PSA might be their choice but for someone who calls themselves a "collector", there's no way in hell that they should be using PSA for their personally owned cards, imho.

The inconsistancy in the grades and the "make up your own qualifier" is more than I can take. A PSA 9 OC translates into English as "if it wasnt so badly off centered, it would be in mint condition". I can get descriptions like that from ebay, I dont need a PSA membership. Pen and ink marks are damage. Off centered is off centered.

A mint condition card should be......mint!
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604

<< <i>I've been absent for quite some time recently. It has nothing to do with board and my friends here. However, I just hit the wall with card collecting. If you want to stay in the mix, you really have to dedicate time. There's tremendous competition for cards and the dollars in your bank account can disappear quickly. Hence, you have to keep up with ebay trends, collector trends, dealer inventories, prioritize your want list, sell cards to buy cards, submit cards for grading, etc... It's all part of the fun, but it gets intense. You reach a point when nothing in your collection satisfies you 100%. Plus, if you choose rare issues, you can go months before even seeing a card you're looking for. That's before the bidding begins.

Also, grading takes its toll. PSA has distanced themselves from the pack this year. They are very well aware of it which hasn't made dealing with them any easier. The most disappointing aspect of this hobby is the inconsistency in grading. It is subjective and impossible to perfect. But how many times have we all been excited about a card, submitted it and received two or three grades lower than expected? Plus, when you search ebay, you find four inferior examples of your card in the higher grades. PSA standards are clearly stated, but they don't even follow them. They can make an excuse for any misgrade and there's nothing you can really do. Transferring your cards to another company is costly and a huge pain. Additionally, PSA still comands top dollar in the marketplace. So, higher grades from GAI doesn't mean an increase in the dollar value of your collection.

It's sad the financial aspect has to play such a large role, but these cards are expensive. We all need to protect our financial investments. With PSA becoming more stringent in the grading department, many of us are ending up with nicer cards in lower grade holders. None of us want to buy old slabs with inferior cards, but the set registries don't take that into account. I don't see a solution.

Anyway, I'm still hunting for a few cards here and there. I don't have the same enthusiasm or level of patience anymore. However, I have been taking the time to appreciate the collection I've put together and that is very satisfying. There are always going to be cycles in life. If you feel tired of the complexities of the game, step back and really enjoy your cards. It will give you some perspective and good feelings.
    >>

WOW- I could not have said it better myself.

I have been trolling the raw commons lately as I might get back into my raw 1960 and 1970 Topps sets, as well as updating my raw/graded 1954 Topps set.

I'm burnt out on the PSA graded game for now. I think I will keep my graded T-205 cards, but I think I am going to go out and buy $1.50 1960 TOpps commons and enjoy the collecting aspect without spending huge sums.

Great post Scumbi
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    What's going on here????

Burnout, quitting, stepping away for a while?? I can't believe some of these folks. The word 'wimp' comes to mind.

Look - PSA, high-end raw cards, memorabilia, etc is all where it's at, and if you feel you're stumbling a bit, suck it up and push through it! You do the same thing with personal and family issues, so why wouldn't you do it with your PSA collections? Nobody likes a quitter, and besides, if properly discussed with children, family, friends, bosses, mistresses, etc. they will all understand and give you ample time to 'correct' the situation.

As far as auctions, just email each seller and bluntly tell them to sell to you NOW at a reasonable price. They will all understand and will try to accomodate you.

Money? Easy. Morgage adjustments, loans, friends, inlaws.

Life is all about expensive high-end raw and graded card sets. It's not that hard! If you can't handle it, cut bait and get out of the game!

BOTR
  • Options

<< <i>What's going on here????

Burnout, quitting, stepping away for a while?? I can't believe some of these folks. The word 'wimp' comes to mind.

Look - PSA, high-end raw cards, memorabilia, etc is all where it's at, and if you feel you're stumbling a bit, suck it up and push through it! You do the same thing with personal and family issues, so why wouldn't you do it with your PSA collections? Nobody likes a quitter, and besides, if properly discussed with children, family, friends, bosses, mistresses, etc. they will all understand and give you ample time to 'correct' the situation.

As far as auctions, just email each seller and bluntly tell them to sell to you NOW at a reasonable price. They will all understand and will try to accomodate you.

Money? Easy. Morgage adjustments, loans, friends, inlaws.

Life is all about expensive high-end raw and graded card sets. It's not that hard! If you can't handle it, cut bait and get out of the game!

BOTR >>

OK BOTR
    Could you spare some change...I'm in need of the fix?

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

For you, no problem. I have approx. $9500 per person, up to 25 people. The interest rate is 29.9% compounded per second. A promissory agreement using my lawyer for notorization ($195) is acceptable.

There - done deal. Easy right?

If you make 100% profit on all your dealings, it's a slam dunk for repayment, collection additions, etc.

LMK

Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

For you, no problem. I have approx. $9500 per person, up to 25 people. The interest rate is 29.9% compounded per second. A promissory agreement using my lawyer for notorization ($195) is acceptable.

There - done deal. Easy right?

If you make 100% profit on all your dealings, it's a slam dunk for repayment, collection additions, etc.

LMK

Bill >>

You're all heart Bill
    Thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    go spend some time with the wife and kids....take a break....its a life long hobby.

Did you recently change your name to TJ ?...LOL !!!! (some are clueless ) ..... image
  • Options
    Wolfbear,

Thank you for ruining my life, I never thought being a burger vehicle could bring me such endless enjoyment. Damn you spongebob squarepants!
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.