Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Grades are in...

Well, back in October I decided that it would be nice to fill some of my collection with "home grown" examples.

It would appear that I still need to work on what would qualify as high grade.

Here are the results:
1 XXXXXXXX 1967 1C USA MS64RD
1 XXXXXXXX 1967 1C USA MS65RD
1 XXXXXXXX 1967 1C USA MS65RD
2 XXXXXXXX 1986 1C USA MS66RD
3 XXXXXXXX 1986-D 1C USA MS66RD
4 XXXXXXXX 1987 1C USA MS66RD
5 XXXXXXXX 1987-D 1C USA MS66RD

6 XXXXXXXX 1967 5C USA MS64

7 XXXXXXXX 1981-P 10C USA MS64FB
8 XXXXXXXX 1981-D 10C USA MS67FB
9 XXXXXXXX 1987-D 10C USA MS66

10 XXXXXXXX 1969-D 25C USA MS65
11 XXXXXXXX 1971-D 25C USA MS66
12 XXXXXXXX 1973 25C USA MS64
13 XXXXXXXX 1974-D 25C USA MS64
14 XXXXXXXX 1976 25C Clad USA MS65
15 XXXXXXXX 1976-D 25C Clad USA MS66
16 XXXXXXXX 1978 25C USA MS66

17 XXXXXXXX 1976-D 50C Clad USA MS65
18 XXXXXXXX 1989-D 50C USA MS66

Date Received: 10/12/2004
Date Shipped: No Date Specified

I split the list at the denominations for readability sake.

All of them came in at least one grade below what I was hoping for (also the 1987-D did not get the FB). I will be looking at some on these closely when they return to find out what I missed.

Comments

• Well, you got to start somewhere!!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Some of those are decent. Learn from the others.

The normal last step of screening coins to submit is comparing to others in the grade I am shooting for. Often for moderns I may cull 25% or more of a planned submission in this way.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    I did compare them to others. I think I just missed something.

I recently bought a better light for my desk and I will give these a much closer look under the better light to find what I missed.

Overall I think I did OK and I am going to get a real close look at those which graded well to get a better understanding at what features the graders place more emphasis on for the high grade.
  • sumdunce - I know the feeling and I have learned alot in the past few years. I'll bet the grades on the Lincolns are due to a poorer strike than you thought, assuming of course that you thought they had the "flash" (eye appeal) for a higher grade. My disappointing grades were almost always due to a weak strike, rather than lack of eye appeal. Now that I can see the difference between a weak and strong strike, I have many less disappointments and every once in a while, a surprise!!

Of course, I only submit the wheats, but I think the point applies to the post-'58 Lincolns as well.

KEEP LOOKING, LEARNING, AND SUBMITTING!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!

• << <i>sumdunce - I know the feeling and I have learned alot in the past few years. I'll bet the grades on the Lincolns are due to a poorer strike than you thought, assuming of course that you thought they had the "flash" (eye appeal) for a higher grade. My disappointing grades were almost always due to a weak strike, rather than lack of eye appeal. Now that I can see the difference between a weak and strong strike, I have many less disappointments and every once in a while, a surprise!!

Of course, I only submit the wheats, but I think the point applies to the post-'58 Lincolns as well.

KEEP LOOKING, LEARNING, AND SUBMITTING!!

Mike >>

Mike nails it, the coin may be mark free and have great luster but if it is not struck, forget about 65 or better. I NEVER submit a memorial cent without FULL steps. Then look at the detail at the top of the memorial. In the grading days a couple of years ago, a weaker strike may result in a higher grade but not today. I have seen a 68-D, 1 of 10 in 67RD, that had a large portion of the steps missing as well as the top of the memorial, it has great color and luster and 3 years ago got a 67RD, but today would be lucky to get 65RD, it is a $2000 coin in 67RD and THAT is why PCGS is so tough now.
    Cheers,

Brian
    I had thought the steps were well struck on the memorial cents. I also checked for full strike on the "E" in the "E PLURIBUS". I did not, however, consider the top of the memorial.

I am sure I missed similiar details on the rest of the coins.

I will also look close at the 1981-D 10C USA MS67FB and see what I did right on that one.

• << <i>Mike nails it, the coin may be mark free and have great luster but if it is not struck, forget about 65 or better. I NEVER submit a memorial cent without FULL steps. Then look at the detail at the top of the memorial. In the grading days a couple of years ago, a weaker strike may result in a higher grade but not today. I have seen a 68-D, 1 of 10 in 67RD, that had a large portion of the steps missing as well as the top of the memorial, it has great color and luster and 3 years ago got a 67RD, but today would be lucky to get 65RD, it is a $2000 coin in 67RD and THAT is why PCGS is so tough now. >>

Brian!! Thanks for this info. I'm submitting some Memorial cents and was guessing for what to look for.

Glenn
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    A few Memorials I thought were going to be ms66 got bumped to ms64 due to a nick or scratch on the steps. Also, I don't think a Memorial will grade ms68 without a full strike. I had a few with no ticks at all and only a tiny bit of strike weakness on something like O in OF, and they graded ms67.

• << <i>I had thought the steps were well struck on the memorial cents. I also checked for full strike on the "E" in the "E PLURIBUS". I did not, however, consider the top of the memorial.. >>

Recent ones for the most part do have full steps, but coins from the 70's and 60's often have steps missing.
    No. I meant the coins I was submitting had full steps on the Lincoln memorial.

The only thing I can guess after looking at them under better light is that they had a few more extremely small ticks that kept them from grading up. Maybe worth a resubmit at some later time.
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Sumdunce,

Keep it up!...It's tough to get high grades in any series!.....and you are working on quite a few series...
    Penny, Nickel, Dime and Half! That's a whole lot of knowledge to learn.
    What you have now, is a GREAT start, a library of "reference coins" and a whole lot of knowledge
    from the Board Members. image....Oh yeah,...I forgot to mention the important thing....enthusiasm.
    (my wife calls it "addiction")

I just learned more about grading Lincolns on this thread than I have in the past 4 years!

I can't wait to check out all my cut up Mint sets. I search for Ikes in Mint sets and figured that I might as
    well check out the other coins too. Only problem was,....I did't know the "qualifications" well enough
    to know what to look for!image I built a small library of "guesses" and keep them for "reference".
    Then, I discovered a coin microscope and that helps a LOT!
    I even bought a couple of cheaper "Full Torch" Dimes
    and "Full Steps" Nickels to put in my "library" so I have something to compare to. Throw in a couple of
    refernce books and a lot of help from Board Members, I feel pretty confident on most of my submissions. I still
    get "shot down in flames" every now and then, but at least I feel confident about it (and my "library"
    gets larger)image)
    Then,...every now and then, you smack a "home run" CHA-CHING on a submission and that just throws
    more gas on the fire, makes you feel good about yourself, and sends you deeper into your
    addiction....errr,..I mean, hobby!

Knowledge is King!...Good Luck!
    Brian

I am trying to build my 50s through 90s mint sets and wanted to try some of my own submissions.

I like the idea of keeping these as "reference" slabs. That might keep me from sending in another low grader.
  • It is especially hard to find good lincolns and roosevelts. At least it seems that way to me. I find that most of the lincolns I see have really weak strike, especially of lincoln's hair. The roosies are hard to decifer the FB. I haven't sent any dimes in yet, but think I will try soon. If you learn any special secrets, I would always be willing to learn the key to a FB designation.
    By the way, some of those are pretty good grades. I would definitely be happy with some of them.
    Zach
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, you got to start somewhere!! >>

Exactly! We've all had this happen at first. Congratulations on completing "PCGS Grading 101."

Doug
    The place I would focus on for the FB designation is the lower band. If the two bands are not round and the line separating them does not go out to the edge of the torch then you will not get back a FB dime.

The one I got back that did not have the full band designation had slight weakness at the edges of the bands and on the right hand side the line stopped short of the edge.