Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

shipping to Canada

Heres some News I recieved from my local post office today.

If you live in the US and are shipping to Canada, you need to write or print their address and your return address in "ALL" Caps!
Even the custom form needs to be written in caps! The post office in Canada has changed their shipping policy and will return all
packages to sender if this is not applied. The policy started on December 1st 2004, but will be enforced starting 01/03/2005.

Just thought you guys should know.

Jery
Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

Comments

• Options
    If I may add..the last line of the address must be "CANADA".

Skip

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Yea right, as if that is a rule the Canadians thought up. It's for ALL international shipments world-wide, and is a direct result of all those white powder episodes you guys had in the US the past few years. No postal service wants to be handling packages who's origins can't be traced.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    I heard similar stories and it is Canada only, I have not heard of any such changes for England which I ship to alot
  • Options

<< <i>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 20, 2004
    News Release No. 04-069
    www.usps.com

Marking it 'Not Admitted':

CANADIAN OFFICIALS STRICTLY ENFORCE CUSTOMS, ADDRESSING REQUIREMENTS FOR INBOUND INTERNATIONAL MAIL

WASHINGTON, DC
    -- The U.S. Postal Service is alerting customers mailing items to Canada they must comply with strict Canadian Customs and postal administration addressing requirements.

All postal items (except postcards) that do not display the complete name and address of both the sender and the recipient -- in roman letters (A, B, C) and Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3) -- are being denied entry into Canada. Sender or recipient identification such as "Grandma" or "Aunt Ruth" are not acceptable and are among the causes of mail being returned.

According to Canadian officials, this action is pursuant to the Canada Customs Act and reflects heightened security measures.

Accordingly, addresses to recipients in Canada should be printed in ink or typewritten in capital letters, and the last line of the address must show only the country name, written in full, and in capital letters. When a Canadian postal delivery zone number is included in the address, mailing requirements allow that number to appear as the last line of the address.

Customers also are reminded that complete and legible customs declarations -- along with required import documentation -- must be provided to specifically identify the contents of any package. General descriptions such as "gift" or "present" are not acceptable.

Canadian Customs offices report a backlog of incoming postal items containing incomplete or inaccurate information. According to Canadian officials, these items eventually will be returned to their points of origin for correction by the sender as soon as practical.

# # # >>

Skip

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    One more good reason not to ship to Canada, eh!?
  • Options
    Sure, Canada is at the leading edge of world security measures. Try sending something within the USA without a return address, and exposed seams and see how fast you will be tasered by your post office staff.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One more good reason not to ship to Canada, eh!? >>

Most auctions that are for the United States only don't get the highest dollar amount as auctions that do allow Canadian's to bid as well. United States only auctions are shutting out millions of people.

I'm not sure why a person wouldn't want to ship to Canada? Canadians pay for the shipping. It's not like your out of any money.

Oh no! you have to write in all upper case!! Can you not aford the extra ink in your pen to do so? image

edited for spelling. probably still a few errors in there somewhere eh?
  • Options
    Personally I have no problem shipping to Canada, I was kind of surprised today when my post office told that all the packages that I was shipping out might come back undeliverable. I usually printout the labels, but since I was already at the post office I had to buy postal labels and rewrite everything. I know many of us sell on ebay, so I thought I'd share a bit of info.

habs71- thanks for the info, I have that copied and saved to my ebay site. If anyone cares to view it.

Interesting Ebay articles

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Since I mainly sell hockey; 50% of my auctions are won by Canadian bidders. Can anyone confirm if this is the proper way for sure (my example)?

JOE CANADIAN
    1580 MAIN STREET
    FORT ERIE, ONTARIO
    T2P 3M3
    CANADA

Can the postal zone be by itself, or does it have to go on the
    same line as the city/providence?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info. Since I mainly sell hockey; 50% of my auctions are won by Canadian bidders. Can anyone confirm if this is the proper way for sure (my example)?

JOE CANADIAN
    1580 MAIN STREET
    FORT ERIE, ONTARIO
    T2P 3M3
    CANADA

Can the postal zone be by itself, or does it have to go on the
    same line as the city/providence? >>

You're good! You can also put the postal code as the last line..see above announcement.

We're always shipping items to Canada..our auction sales.... plus dozens of packages for the grandkids and other family members. Sent up 15 parcels of gifts the first part of Dec..... all arrived with no problems.

Skip

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Jery, thanks for the info. I hadn't heard this before, until today.