Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Water From Cup Elvis Used sells on Ebay for $455.

Hey Folks,

I know this is the wrong place to post this forgive me guys. But I had to share it with the board. Some people are really serious about their collections! Doesn't matter if it's sports related or not, everyone has a passion for collecting something.

Purported Elvis Water Brings $455 Bid on eBay

MIAMI (Reuters) - Wade Jones of North Carolina says he snared a plastic cup from which Elvis Presley drank at a concert in 1977 and kept the cup and the water for 27 years before selling the remaining few tablespoons of water on eBay.

The winning bid for the water was $455. He says he won't sell the cup.

A 40-year-old resident of Belmont, North Carolina, Jones said he was 13 when he attended a Presley concert at the Charlotte Coliseum in February, 1977, six months before the death of the rock 'n roll icon.

After the concert, Jones went to the stage looking for a souvenir. A policeman gave him the plastic foam cup, from which he had seen Elvis drinking earlier, he said.

Jones said he kept the cup and water in his freezer until 1985, when he transferred the water to a vial and sealed it. Over the years, he said, he acquired a photograph of Elvis holding the cup at that concert as authentication for his claim.

"I promise this thing is 100 percent legitimate," Jones said.

It was the $28,000 eBay sale of a 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich in which some people saw the image of the Virgin Mary that persuaded him to auction off his Elvis water.

"I've been selling on eBay since 2000. People said you ought to sell that Elvis cup," Jones said. "When I heard the recent news ... about the grilled cheese sandwich, I kind of thought about it.

"I didn't get $28,000, it's true," he said of the winning bid on the 3-4 tablespoons of water. "But I'm happy."

Jones said he got a lot of e-mails asking how much he wanted for the cup. He's not going to sell but is offering to allow the highest bidder to "exhibit" it for a short time. Minimum bid is $300.

"It's something I've had since I was 13 and I'm just not going to get rid of it," he said.

The seller is now auctioning the cup Elvis drank from to go on tour...lol

For more interesting oddball storys on ebay, which I'm collecting. check out my page here

Roastedcat's Oddball ebay page.

Thanks
Jery
Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    PT Barnum was a prophet.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    What kind of container was it in that kept the water from evaporating for 27 years? Would a 13-year-old really have managed to get it home and sealed without it spilling or drying? Humbug, I say.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay