Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Two great Upgrades!

Mr. Wondercoin swapped out some of my duplicate Standing Liberty Quarters for two great upgrades. He nailed down the 1919-S in MS67 Full head (pop 1/0) and the 1923, also in MS67 Full Head (pop 2/0).

My duplicate 1916 in MS67 Full Head was the key coin I gave up, but I bought the second knowing that its fate was to be swapped.

Thank you, Mitch for engineering the swap.

I only have the 1919-S entered so far; can't find where I wrote down the cert number for the 1923.

Take a look; a nice set.

Enjoy!

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

Comments

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHF
    I just revisited your set on the registry and I must say I am awe struck by the quality. I hope to see it on display at a major show someday. Outstanding and virtually unsurpassable. Congratulations.

Mark
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's one heck of a set!
    Doug
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Thank you, Mitch for engineering the swap."

JHF: You are very welcome. Congratulations again on the acquisition of the "infamous" 1919(s) SLQ, as well as the 1923(p)!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHF,

Wow, very impressive!!!! What a super set!image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    JHF

Have you ever thought of collecting gold ? You can own a complete set of 3 Brasher Doublooons if you win them in the upcoming Heritage Auctions.

Stewart
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Now that is really an all-time best set. I don't think this set will ever be matched, you should be very proud of it. I love your Roosevelt sets but this is a set for the ages. Here's a LINK
  • Options
    Thank you Boiler78 and Mister Coin Man for the good words. But "virtually unsurpassable"? I don't think so. These Registry Sets are like athletic records -- made to be beaten.

It may be hard to beat, but it will be beaten just like Maris, Sosa, McGuire, and Bonds topped Babe Ruth's once "unsurpassable" record of 60 home runs in a season.

Thank you DMWJR, Lab Lover, and Man of Coins.

Hi StewartBlayNumis:

Yes, I've thought about collecting gold many times. I love many of the gold coins series, including the Stella's and St. Gauden's Indian Head $10s. But they're so popular I can't afford them. Way, way, way too expensive for me.

Those coins are for the "big boys." I just sort of run around in the nooks and crannies that they leave for me and enjoy myself there.

Just Having Fun
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    JHF

Sosa,McGwire and Bonds topped Babe Ruth by using STEROIDS.
    Hopefully coins will not be dependent upon some chemical formula to get higher grades than your set of Standing Quarters.

Stewart
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHF
    I maintain that your set is virtually unsurpassable until it is sold and a new number one set can be assembled using many of your coins for its core.image

Mark
  • Options
    <<Sosa,McGwire and Bonds topped Babe Ruth by using STEROIDS. Hopefully coins will not be dependent upon some chemical formula to get higher grades than your set of Standing Quarters. >> -- StewartBlayNumis

Stewart:

I think you can safely look upon grade inflation as the steroids of coin collecting.

And grade inflation is happening. I've been collecting coins for about 11 years in the era of slabbed coins and many, many of the old coins I bought back when have upgraded or crossed over.

Dear Boiler78:

Well, I'm not sure, but I hope you're right.

And where I do agree with you is this: I think it will be hard to assemble a set of Standing Liberty Quarters that's as rich and interesting as my collection.

Along with the standout coins I do have, I also have one of the only two SLQ patterns in private hands plus a wonderful collection of Standing Liberty Quarter error coins. That includes a georgeous broadstruck SLQ graded MS67 Full Head ... an SLQ struck 50% off center with enough of the date visible to read ... and about 15 other SLQ errors.

These SLQ errors are incredibly scarce and when you put them together with the regular coins, and the Standing Liberty Pattern I nailed down a few years ago, it's a really, really interesting collection to look it.

Best wishes

Just Having Fun
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can safely look upon grade inflation as the steroids of coin collecting

Very well said!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justhavingfun: Agreed with TDN on your comment re: steroids.

I get the impression that you really live true to your name. You really seem to "be just having fun."

I like that!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!