Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Idea....

Was wondering if there would be any interest in a 'Key 80s' card set, or something similar?

I'd suspect there are a great number of us who really got into collecting in the 80s, before the glut of the inserts and parallels drove us from buying unopened product in the 90s.

If there is, I think it would be a fun set, but would like to have some input on what cards to put in? The upside is rarity won't be a problem with most, and even including the 'rare' cards (such as traded/update), it still wouldn't be that difficult.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    The challenge would be to do a set like this in all 10's. It would be an interesting list with lots of rookie cards of future HOFers.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I think it's an interesting idea...but here's one question. Would you select the cards that were important at the time, or the ones that have become important? I guess I'm thinking of the 1987 Fleer Will Clark vs. Barry Bonds. For a while the Clark was one of the hottest cards in the hobby, hitting $35 when Bonds could probably be had for a few bucks. In the last few years their roles have completely reversed. Personally, I think cards like the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco and 1987 Fleer Will Clark should be included...as well as the 1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry and 1985 Topps Eric Davis. Maybe they're not so important anymore, but they were huge back in the day.

Even if the set doesn't happen, it would be fun to see what other cards people think were important in the 1980's.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Great idea. Here are my picks:

1980 Topps Henderson
    1982 Topps Traded Ripken
    1983 Topps Sandberg, Gwynn, Boggs
    1984 Fleer Update Clemens, Puckett
    1984 Donruss Mattingly
    1985 Topps McGwire
    1986 Donruss McGriff
    1987 Fleer Bonds, Maddux
    1989 UD Griffey, Johnson, Sheffield
    1989 Donruss Schilling

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Koby about hit all the major ones, but what about multiple cards from the major players? For example:

Bonds - 86 Fleer Update, 86 Topps Traded, 87 Fleer
    Clemens 84 Fleer Update, 85 Topps, 85 Fleer, 85 Donruss

Or, would you just include the one "key" RC for that player? If so, it would make for a tiny set - there weren't all that many important cards in the 80's.
  • Options

I love the idea and I also agree with ajw, it shouldn't be of just who is good (read: worth something) now. It should represent the era...

86 Topps Traded Bo Jackson
    84 Donruss Joe Carter
    82 Topps George Bell
    Will Clark - Any of the 86 traded sets
    Dwight Gooden - 84 Fleer Upd or 85 Topps
    Eric Davis - 85 Fleer or Donruss
    81 Topps Fernando
    81 Topps Kirk Gibson
    80 Topps Orosco/Scott
    Tim Raines - 81 Topps, Donruss or Fleer
    86 Donruss Cecil Fielder
    Mark Grace - 88 Fleer

Iam sure there are others... They may not be glamorous now, but those cards were all hot at one time or another.

Count me in if they add the set to the registry...

Chris

• Options
    The 1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela is a must. Maybe it's just because I first entered the hobby in 1981, but that was THE rookie card that made chasing rookie cards the main goal of most collectors in the 1980s. Fernando-mania!
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I say just keep it to the major players, not the cards that were big at the time. Do you want to include the 1989 UD Jerome Walton? How about 1988 Fleer Greg Jeffries? Wally Joyner? All those cards were very hot in the 80's. I do think a case could be made to include borderline Hall Of Famers like Harold Baines or Tim Raines but not Eric Davis.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    RockDJRW,
    Don't forget the 81 Fleer Joe Charbenau (sp?). That card was the hot card for quite awhile in 1981. Then we found out that the guy had no talent...
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What do you guys think about the error cards, especially the 81 fleer? I remember some of those being really, really chased after for awhile.

I love the ideas...keep em coming. I, too, think it should represent the era, and not necessarily what's 'hot' today.

I also am all for including the multiple rookies...for example, all 3 of Wade Boggs' rookies, as they were all similiarly chased back then.

I'd also include the 86 donruss and fleer cansecos, for awhile they were wildly popular as well.

Think there is enough interest in this set to warrant PSA making an all 80s set?
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I would love to do a set like this, similar to DGF's key cards of the 80s. Maybe we could try to compile a definitive checklist once this thread picks up?

My votes for players (cards tbd) - Im sure there are some repeats here

Wally Joyner
    Jerome Walton
    Kevin Mitchell
    Gregg Jefferies
    Mark Grace
    Mark McGwire
    Todd Van Poppel
    Chipper Jones
    Jose Canseco
    Juan Gonzalez
    Brien Taylor
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would love to do a set like this, similar to DGF's key cards of the 80s. >>

DGF has a great set going.. i love his descriptions.. i suggest for everybody to check it out.. link
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to do a set like this, similar to DGF's key cards of the 80s. Maybe we could try to compile a definitive checklist once this thread picks up?

My votes for players (cards tbd) - Im sure there are some repeats here

Wally Joyner
    Jerome Walton
    Kevin Mitchell
    Gregg Jefferies
    Mark Grace
    Mark McGwire
    Todd Van Poppel
    Chipper Jones
    Jose Canseco
    Juan Gonzalez
    Brien Taylor >>

Van Poppel, Chipper, Gonzo, and Brien Taylor all have rookie cards from the grunge era, not the 80's
  • Options
    edited to include suggestions:

I definitely think it should reflect the flavor the decade...and yes, I think that cards that aren't hot today (Eric Davis, anyone?) should absolutely be in it. (when you see the 'hits of the 80s' song collections for examples, there are some truly bad songs in there that fit the era perfectly).

Here's a rough draft of the set so far:

1980:
    Rickey Henderson (r)
    Jesse Orosco/Mike Scott (r)
    Dave Steib ®

1981 topps:
    Fernando Valenzuela(r)
    Harold Baines (r)
    Tim Raines (r)
    Jeff Reardon

1981 fleer:
    all error cards

1982 topps:
    cal ripken, jr (r)
    lee smith (r)
    Jorge Bell
    Dave Stewart
    Kent Hrbek
    Steve Sax

1982 topps update:
    cal ripken, jr.
    Ozzie smith

1982 fleer:
    cal ripken, jr.
    john littlefield (rev neg)

1982 donruss:
    cal ripken, jr.
    The Chicken

1983 topps:
    wade boggs (r)
    tony gwynn (r)
    ryne sandberg (r)
    Frank viola

1983 topps traded:
    darryl strawberry (r)
    Julio franco
    Willie McGhee

1983 fleer:
    wade boggs (r)
    tony gwynn (r)
    ryne sandberg (r)

1983 donruss:
    wade boggs (r)
    tony gwynn (r)
    ryne sandberg (r)

1984 topps:
    don mattingly (r)
    darryl strawberry (r)
    Jack Morris

1984 topps traded:
    Jimmy key
    Dwight gooden

1984 fleer:
    don mattingly (r)
    Andy Van Slyke

1984 fleer update:
    kirby puckett (r)
    roger clemens (r)
    dwight gooden (r)
    jimmy key

1984 donruss:
    joe carter (r)
    don mattingly (r)
    darryl strawberry (r)
    Living Legends Bench/Yaz

1985 topps:
    mark mcgwire (r)
    roger clemens (r)
    eric davis (r)
    kirby puckett (r)
    Dwight gooden (r
    Brett Saberhagen

1985 fleer:
    roger clemens (r)
    kirby puckett (r)
    eric davis (r)
    dwight gooden (r)

1985 fleer update:
    Darren daulton
    Vince Coleman

1985 donruss:
    roger clemens (r)
    kirby puckett (r)
    eric davis (r)
    dwight gooden (r)
    2 for the title Mattingly/Winfield - White Letter
    Tom Seaver Err

73 cards so far....think it may be thinned out, but taking everyone's suggestions...

will continue this as I go on...any others I should add for the first half of this set (1980-1985)?

I'd also like to sprinkle in one each of the hall of famers (schmidt, brett, reggie, etc), and also a rose card (I always love the Pete and re-Pete card in the 1982 fleer set)....

I love the contributions...keep em coming!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    i would add the following
    80 topps dave steib,81 topps jeff reardon, 82 topps traded ozzie,reggie, 82 topps dave stewart, 83 topps frank viola, 83 topps traded julio franco,84 topps traded jimmy key,dwight gooden,also the fleer updates of those two. i would also add the 84 fleer update rose because its a great looking card and he is in an expos uni. 85 topps dwight gooden, 85 fleer update dutch daulton, 86 donruss paul oneill,87 topps traded cone,reggie's last card,i am not sure which is his rookie but i would throw in a galaraga? i think its 86 topps traded?88 topps traded al leiter
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    oh yeah i forgot 81 topps kirk gibson.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Jackstraw - Julio Franco? Seriously?
  • Options
    i thought franco had a decent career and its his rookie. the guy won a batting title and was the first right handed hitter to do it in the al for quite some time can you name the last american lg right handed hitter to win the batting title before 1992?
    Collector Focus

• Options

For specials...

84 Donruss Living Legends Bench/Yaz,
    85 Donruss "2 for the title" Mattingly/Winfield - White Letter.
    85 Donruss Tom Seaver Err
    89 Fleer B. Ripken F-Face
    89 Score Bo Jackson B&W

Also maybe some more obscure in terms of collecting nowadays, but certainly carried some weight at a time. Something to make us dig a little bit. Iam not saying all of these, just maybe something to mix it up a bit

83 Topps Willie McGhee
    84 Fleer Andy Van Slyke
    84 Fleer Upd Jimmy Key
    87 Topps Kevin Mitchell
    83 Topps Frank Viola
    85 Topps Brett Saberhagen
    82 Topps Kent Hrbek only 1 out of 72 graded PSA 10 image
    82 Topps Steve Sax
  • Options
    jackstraw -

I believe Puckett won one in the late 80s sometime...
  • Options

Ok I looked it up... Franco won in 1991... .341 avg with Texas
  • Options
    What about one of the early 80s Donruss San Diego Chicken cards? I remember those selling for a buck each straight out of the pack, which was a lot of money back then.
  • Options
    Jack Morris, the winningest pitcher in the 1980's has to have a card in this set - I'll pick 84 Topps, his first World Series win with three different teams.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Is this the "guys that were really good in the 80's" set or the "key cards of the 80's" set? What is the definition of "key"? Personally, I think a "key card of the 80's" set could be done in 40 cards or less. That's four cards a year. Were there really 8 "key" cards in the 1981 Topps set?

Personally, I'd like to see one card per player, and could be convinced to limit it to one card per set, though that might not be possible.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Barry Larkin, Rafael Palmeiro, Tom Glavine, Roberto Alomar, Kevin Brown, and John Smoltz rookies are must-adds. Rookies of the following players should also be added IMO (not counting people already mentioned): Howard Johnson, Rick Sutcliffe, Mike Greenwell, Matt Williams, Todd Zeile, Robin Ventura, Ellis Burks, Benito Santiago, Gary Gaetti, Kevin McReynolds, Chili Davis, Ruben Sierra, John Kruk, Cecil Fielder, Lenny Dykstra, Jim Abbott, Jay Buhner, Craig Biggio, Dante Bichette, Deion Sanders, Steve Finley, Orel Hershiser, Bret Saberhagen, Cory Snyder, Lee Smith, and Chris Sabo.

I would also add the 1980 Nolan Ryan, the Donruss King of Kings Pete Rose, and probably a few other cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I was looking through some cards last night, and came up with a couple others:

Cory Snyder
    Pete Incaviglia (sp?)