Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

redfield morgan dollars

hello all,im new to the forum.i have 41 morgan dollars from the redfield collection.40 of which are 1890-S (very bright silver with few scufs).and 1 morgan 1882-S its in plastic with a red sleeve stating the redfield and paramount names.I was just wundering what they are worth cuz im not a collector and dont want to get ripped off.

Comments

• Options
    Anywhere from $50 to $1,100 each, depending entirely on their grade, which can't be told from the holder itself. Line up the 40 coins in order of most marks down to absolutely least marks (scuffs) you can see. Take the top two,, the 11th/12th, 21st,22nd Pairs to a coin show and ask any dealer here (Forum) what grade/value they are. They generally bring a premium in the old holders, so regular grading is not always your best bet, except for the very best if they are gems (ie. MS-65 or better). The colors or toning generally is not so important unless you clean them outside the holders--- making them basically worthless. If you want to auction 1 or 2, you might send off 5 to www.ANRcoins.com for more specific opinion as to grades/values. As a new person to collecting you should know the owners have been in business for nearly 50 years and are trustworthy (which is why I mention them). Bill, (Morgannut2)
    morgannut2
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    image to the forum pastoolio. Some of us would like to see your Redfield Morgans if you can get pictures up. Someone could give you a better estimate as to their value. image
    Wayne
  • Options

Yes, pictures please.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    This is an amateur answer. I don't collect but did some research on redfields when I was considering starting.
    Although the cases say MS65, most are more like MS62 or ms63

The 1882-S has gone on ebay between $120 and $200 in the last couple of months. It had an estimate of several
    dozen bags in the original hoard.

The 1890-S has gone on ebay between $205 and $290 the last couple of months. It had an estimate of "many" bags
    in the original hoard. This being compared to some that are said to have "few", "several", or "many" bags. My uneducated guess
    would be 8000.

If you find on in real MS65, then the other estimate of $1100 would probably be closer.

The NGC census shows 1047 1890-s that they have graded, removed from original case, and put into their holders.
    Here is the breakdown ms60:14 Ms61:203 ms62:310 ms63:420 MS64:98 ms65:2

I doubt a dealer would offer you more then $100 a piece for them as a lot. Not such a big collector base that they could retail
    them quickly (like the gsa.) They would have to sell them over time, or sell them off to other dealers who have to make a profit, too.

If they were mine, they would be on ebay at the rate of one per month for the next 3 years.

Being in the original cases is contributes to over half of their value.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    What kind of holders are the 1890-s in? It was not clear by your post whether the lone 82 was in a redholder or all of them.
  • Options
    thank you for all the replys.1890-s's are in 2 plastic tubes 20 in each.only 1882 is in a red sleeve.and i will get pics of them asap
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards image.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pastoolio: If you'll post some digital images of some of the nicer condition coins (for starters) you will get a very good idea of both their grade and value from Forum Members.

If the coins are in roll tubes, then they may not carry any premium (as Redfield Dollars) over other raw 1890-S Morgans.

I'd love to see some digital pictures of them...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    If some have some purrdy toning (color) then you could easily sell each individually for about 150, and to a dealer as alot for around 100 a piece...Still a nice hoard you got yourself.
  • Options
    If they are rolls then they almost certainly would not be considered to be Redfield coins.
  • Options
    Perhaps the question that concerned you was more like "do I have a fortune in Morgans "S" mint coins and not want to get ripped off". Smart question as it's happened!!! The answer is no, the big money coins are the 84S, 92S, etc. and the king '93S---which if uncirculated-rolls would be worth million(s). True Redfield dollars are in a plastic holder saying MS-65(GEM) and Paramount. The lower grade marked-up low value Redfield material was wholesaled off in rolls to dealers, because they obviously weren't anywhere near gem. Even a cheap scanner image here will elict a pretty good and honest opinion if you show one or two. Leave the 82S in the holder--top price is at Ebay if sold. You know if you sell 39, and replace with other inexpensive dates-you're well on your way to a complete 97 coin collection!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    i cant get eny of the pics in to the thread,haw do i make the pic fit in 50kb of space?
  • Options
    Michael
  • Options
    wher can i get paramount sleeves fo all my redfield dollars?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "haw do i make the pic fit in 50kb of space?"

You need to use the software which came with your scanner, camera, or Windows (I use Microsoft Photo Editor).

You can also host the pics on another site and link to them from here.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You should also read this thread on how to post pics LINK.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your description, you have two rolls (40 coins) of uncirculated 90-S dollars and one 82-S in a Redfield Paramount holder. Even if you believe the 90-S coins are from the Redfield hoard, unless they are in the original, sealed Paramount holders they will not bring a premium above the coin's collector value OR unless they are in another grading company's holder that states the Redfield provenance. Coins in the original Paramount holders have the greatest premium You cannot buy the old Paramount holders and re-encapsulate the coins as the holders break apart into many pieces when the coins are removed and empty holders were not sold to the public or dealers.

In other words, even if you "know" the 90-S dollars are from the Redfield hoard, nobody will "believe" you unless you can "prove" the provenance (e.g. already in a Paramount or other provenanced holder).

Lane

Edited to add:

P.S. Welcome to the forum! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, the only Redfields are in the Paramount holders that specifically state "From the Redfield Hoard."

The ones in plain Paramount holders (either red or black) are NON-Redfield dollars. Many sellers on eBay call bothe holder varieties "Redfield" when, in fact, they are not.

Almost ALL Redfields look as though they've been dragged down a dirt road behind a truck. Few match the grade assigned.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Almost ALL Redfields look as though they've been dragged down a dirt road behind a truck. Few match the grade assigned.

Cheers,

Bob >>

That description is not far off. According to the VAM book, 'ol Redfield threw the bags down a chute into a dusty, damp basement of his home. Paramount's grades on these tended to be quite generous.
  • Options
    THEY WENT DOWN THE COAL chute into the basement

what was it,2 300 bags ?
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes . .down a coal chute into the basement . . . from the back bed of a pickup. And. . . at some point heat and fermentation blew up fruit juice stored down there too . . and soaked into some of the bags . . .

DRUNNER

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file