Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Topps Football Advice

Fellow Board Members,

I am two cards away from finishing my 1972 Topps Football Set and well on my way on my 1971 Set. But, I have to admit to being facinated by the 1962 Topps Football Set. I know its very tough with the black boarders but I think it would be a completely awesome set to behold. Does anyone have any advice or a source for not outragously priced decent specimens. I would think that a PSA 7 set would be a huge undertaking and a PSA 8 set would probably be a lifetime acheivement. Please let me know your thoughts or expieriences with this set. Thanks for your time.

Jack
Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.

Comments

• murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I just completed it in psa8 across the board, with a dozen psa9's

took 2 years and 3 months.

save yourself the time and trouble.....buy mine for 21k.
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    For raw cards, I've never seen anything that would gade above a 5, but my town is lame. I've got one 7 I've listed on ebay a couple times with no takers. I started the set a year ago but decided to go with another FB set. This is a good choice, classic design, solid checklist, Tarkenton and Ditka rookies. Well worth pursuing a set, though the fact that there are no 8.0 sets even now indicates its difficulty.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Firstly, from this set, I would run like heck. All the nice cards are highly priced because they are scarce and people would like to put them in slabs. It is a pretty high demand set and slabbed cards run steep on eBay. 8's and higher are not only hard to find but pricey. 9's are a couple of bills to open ---- minimum. &'s can be hit and miss a little bit so I would go after the cheaper 7's on eBay to start with as a strategy. If your hooked you will be willing to spend the rest. If not, you don't have a lot into it and a reasonable chance of getting your money back. This set has not seen a real "down" time for prices but one will eventually come along.
    Nearmintcards.com and Mickeyssportscards.com have two of the better rep's around for grading. I don't price raw stuff but I am sure that they are not outrageous.
    Good Luck,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Firstly, from this set, I would run like heck. All the nice cards are highly priced because they are scarce and people would like to put them in slabs. It is a pretty high demand set and slabbed cards run steep on eBay. 8's and higher are not only hard to find but pricey. 9's are a couple of bills to open ---- minimum. &'s can be hit and miss a little bit so I would go after the cheaper 7's on eBay to start with as a strategy. If your hooked you will be willing to spend the rest. If not, you don't have a lot into it and a reasonable chance of getting your money back. This set has not seen a real "down" time for prices but one will eventually come along.
    Nearmintcards.com and Mickeyssportscards.com have two of the better rep's around for grading. I don't price raw stuff but I am sure that they are not outrageous.
    Good Luck,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Repeat ...

<< <i>Firstly, from this set, I would run like heck. >>

The 2 image horizontal design is beautiful. I was going to start this set, however I postponed the idea and began a assembling a modern issue that's similar in design. The 1985 Topps Football has black borders, horizontal design and close-up personal photography. Once I finish this set, the 1962 Topps Football will be my next project.

How many people are actively collecting this set?
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I wouldn't say this set is overpriced, or even particulary expensive, if you are in that monetary class. I bought one low pop 8, a Jimmy Patton which was 1/4 IIRC, for about $100 a year ago and prices at that time were pretty strong. I sold it a couple months ago for $60, and it is still 1/5. That hurt. But I think it shows either a poor anecdote (I couldn't get a scan) or a general softness in the set at the moment. The Tark and Ditka go for big dollars, but they have their own collectors. The scant sales I do see don't show a real fervor for set builders. The big problem is finding them in the first place.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • I started this set a few months ago. Going for PSA 7's. I have been outbid on just about every star card. A really nice Ditka rookie went up on the bidding $ 70 - $ 80 in the last minute. It went for over SMR some where around $ 25 over. I only have about twenty- five cards so far with none of the biggies yet. Oh yeah, got outbid on a nice Hornung today. I like the set only being 198 cards and I'm not in a big rush.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Helio,
    I think you took a bad beat. I checked the list of eBay PSA 8's completed today for this set and there were a couple of cheap ones but primarily the cards were in the $60+ category for commons and higher for the stars. That is running nearly 2X SMR across the board on cards that are already listed for $35. Now I know that we are suppose to be talking 7's here, but with 8's in high demand, I suspect that 7's will go along for the ride as Jaybyrd points out.
    To me $35 for 8's even isn't bad but it is for some folks and this set is nearly 200 cards. $60 stright through I think is a bit high. Probably why my set isn't too far along.
    Fuzz
  • Thanks for the replys. I will think long and hard before I dive into an 8 set but maybe a 7 set would not be as bad as I thought. Thanks again.
    Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.