Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Another Lincoln Anomaly: 1995 DDO in MS68RD is a pop 1498/0 coin!

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting fact isn't it? You would think 1 of the 1498 would stand out above the others????

Doug

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's also very surprising that there are so many in so high of a grade.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    You're not going to try to corner the market, are you? Man, that'd be 75 PCGS slab boxes...

David
  • Options

I checked a couple of other series, and can't find any coin where there are 1500 tied for the top grade.

My first thought was that PCGS just made up their minds that they were not going to make an MS69's period.

Cornering the market, hmmmm . . . right now you can pick them up all day long for $145. How many would you need to corner the market? Maybe 500? Maybe 1,000? image
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Better question. How much would YOU pay for a 1995 Lincoln Doubled Die in PCGS MS69RD?

I paid $70 back in 1995 to Rich Stiles for mine in RAW condition. PCGS subsequently graded it MS67RD and it is probably worth today about what I paid for it. BUT, it is part of my collection and I'm glad I got it. Steve
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. It's also very surprising that there are so many in so high of a grade. >>

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

NGC has graded 4,554 in MS68 . . . and 2 in MS69!

Total graded in all grades:

PCGS 8,660
    NGC 14,300

I know everybody thought this was the next 1955 DDO, but WOW!

Let's say grading fees cost $15, that's about $350k in grading fees. I'll say it was a very good variety for the services.
    Doug
  • Options
    What's more interesting is the pop of regular 1995 cents in ms68 is something like 40! (and they sell for more money). I wonder if they are graded differently... or if people just ignored them when they looked for DDOs.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's more interesting is the pop of regular 1995 cents in ms68 is something like 40! (and they sell for more money). I wonder if they are graded differently... or if people just ignored them when they looked for DDOs. >>

There are not many modern cents made for circulation that will grade this high. One
    would expect if these followed the pattern that there'd be far larger numbers of MS-65
    and lower. I suppose these aren't worth the slabbing fees in very low grade unc.

A similar situation may develop for the '82 NMM (No-P) dime. Even though this coin is
    scarce in high grade, most all were saved in unc or AU while the '82-P simply went into
    circulation. There will be plenty of surprises across the board.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    So my forthcoming PCGS 69RD sould be worth something.......?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    Does anyone want to buy 400 PCGS ms-68 and try to make a MS-69? Have access to them
    COLLECTOR AND DEALER FOR 45 YEARS LIKES MINT STATE MERCS AND WALKERS I HELP BUILD REGISTRY SETS.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone want to buy 400 PCGS ms-68 and try to make a MS-69? Have access to them >>

Buy a 2003 in 69RD and compare them, send the 10 best as close to the 69 in for regrade and see what you get.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's say grading fees cost $15, that's about $350k in grading fees. I'll say it was a very good variety for the services. >>

The 1995 DD was what finally prompted PCGS to agree to grade coins dated after 1964. Up until then, they were adament about not doing so. I guess all that potential revenue was hard to ignore!
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    well they are increasing in value

yes, I know this is not going to sell
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Am I missing something here? the above coin realized $400

• Options
    If there 1500 68's, they should be worth no more than $35.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There not to popular,I have two on Ebay now with no bids,no 8, have 6&7.
    AL