Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Buccaneer's Treasure Vintage Sampler Set (need help/advice)

One of my collecting goals for 2005 is to get seriously working on my Buccaneer’s Treasure Vintage Sampler Set (based on the Registry's Ultimate PSA Sampler Vintage Set). How I decided to approach this is to get cards generally in the following grades:
19th Century: 2-4
1909-1938: 5-6
1939-1959: 7
1960-1967: 8
1968-1975: 9

But there’s more to it than that. I built three nice displays for the wall at my home office for this set and what I would like to do is to have a really nice presentation. In other words, cards that I can stare at for hours because of their design, beauty and color. A good example for me would be the 67 Hunter or 67 Joe Morgan card.

What I need help on is to identify those cards in the various sets that you think that would present nice because of their beauty and color (if applicable) or if B&W, because of their design, pose or layout. But please focus on common cards (for the most part), not on stars or HOFers. I want to work on this set as time and budget permits without distracting from building my 5 primary sets.

Thanks.

ps. We have talked previously about how arbitrary and incomplete this set composition is. I agree but it's what I have to go by.

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I think type sets are a really cool way to collect for the collector who wants everything but has a limited budget

I collect cuban born players and its really a neat way to see how cards change with time as well as the player himself. especially for a guy like minoso how played in so many decades.

Since you have only one card from each set, i would recomend getting a very high grade/high population common.

since there is no such thing in pre war stuff, this would only apply for later topps and bowman sets and a few others.

Buc, you should add try to work with the registry goddesses and see if they could add more sets into the ultimate sampler in order for it to become more challenging. it could take a while, but who is in a hurry? ( you could even get a lower price if you get the card before its added into the set)

as far as particular poses and players , that might be hard to do ...the HOF'ers are expensive and a cool pose in high grade might be hard to come by. as long as the card its a top notch example and its not a mixed card, league leader or something like that, any card that pretty much captures the spirit of the set should do fine.

and defenitly add pictures!!!

it would help a lot of newies and get more people interested into type set collecting

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Buccaneer - I would go for head shots in this set, if at all possible. Action poses are the most likely to look awful on early cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I had not seen the sampler set before. Who picked the sets? What was chosen looks pretty random. Does1968 Topps 3D, a test issue belong here?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I had not seen the sampler set before. Who picked the sets? What was chosen looks pretty random. Does1968 Topps 3D, a test issue belong here? >>

Jim, here's one of the recent thread discussing the sampler set (with my feeble attempt at an alternative).
    thread

The originator of the set is not open to modifications so we have to live with it if we want to use it.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The idea is a good one but many of the selections seem a little arbitrary. Some test issues like the 68 3D is there while other Topps test issues are omitted. Important semi-mainstream issues like OPCs and Venezuela are not represented. The 54 Johnson cookies is in but other regionals like the 53 or 55 Johnson or the 53 Glendale are not. Stahl-Meyers and Kahns are nice but very hard to find. These were probably omitted for no other reason than convenience for the originator of the sampler.
  • Options
    Hi Steve,
    Now that I reviewed the master list on that thread, maybe you just go with the current sampler list. That master list is long and rare. It would be a heck of a challenge!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi Steve,
    Now that I reviewed the master list on that thread, maybe you just go with the current sampler list. That master list is long and rare. It would be a heck of a challenge! >>

There are actually two types of master list: one that has all of the sets that PSA has graded (under Company) and the true master list of all card sets ever made. The latter is also arbitrary because it only includes cards that PSA has graded (regardless if they still or not) or received submissions from. In either case, I'd still go with a "sampler" set because it fits on my wall better. image
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few that I like......

All that post-war stuff looks alike.image
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Those are very nice. Thanks for posting the scans. What Cobb card is that?
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

The Cobb is an E-101 "Set of 50".

I should also point out that none of those cards are mine.image
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    The color on the Carl Hubbell card is beautiful!